Adjustable Buck Converter V/A potentiometer traces destroyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Buck Converter V/A potentiometer traces destroyed

Hi I have destroyed the tracks to both the volt and amp connector is it possible to solve this problem and maybe find another way to connect them. see the pictures and the disaster that I did
    Attached Files

Re: Adjustable Buck Converter V/A potentiometer traces destroyed

Can you please tell us how this happened I have several of these this is the reason I am asking you to go into some details about how this happened

Thank you for all the detailed pictures that shows the damage that happened to this board ( the last picture is the best one of them all to see the damage )

The only real option that you have is go to the component pins and to the output pins and hard wire them together but you are going to have to clean all of the solder from the connector pins on the other side of the board this is the first thing that need to be done before you start with this type of repair

This is very time consuming to do but I have done this in the past with very good results so it is doable

But a better option would be to buy a new one and resolve what cause this to happen in the first place and use this one for parts

The reason I mentioned the better option is if the component leads are NOT long enough this is going to be very difficult to do because the only option then is to put wrapping wire on the component leads to extend the component leads so you have something to work with

If this issue happened because of high current then if you buy a new one you are going to have to reinforce the connector pads with wrapping wire to the component pin leads for better connections to carry the current

This is also time consuming as well but it might help you save the board from this type of failure
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-19-2022, 02:57 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Can you please tell us how this happened I have several of these this is the reason I am asking you to go into some details about how this happened

Thank you for all the detailed pictures that shows the damage that happened to this board ( the last picture is the best one of them all to see the damage )

The only real option that you have is go to the component pins and to the output pins and hard wire them together but you are going to have to clean all of the solder from the connector pins on the other side of the board this is the first thing that need to be done before you start with this type of repair

This is very time consuming to do but I have done this in the past with very good results so it is doable

But a better option would be to buy a new one and resolve what cause this to happen in the first place and use this one for parts

The reason I mentioned the better option is if the component leads are NOT long enough this is going to be very difficult to do because the only option then is to put wrapping wire on the component leads to extend the component leads so you have something to work with

If this issue happened because of high current then if you buy a new one you are going to have to reinforce the connector pads with wrapping wire to the component pin leads for better connections to carry the current

This is also time consuming as well but it might help you save the board from this type of failure
      Hi Sam and thanks for the support. yes how this has happened : probably a very bad soldering pencil without knowing it because I absolutely could not unsolder these blue Trimmer Potentiometer and I became obsessed to push them down with the soldering tip then it was a hell to free the holes yes that's what happened 2years ago

Comment

Okay one trick to get the pins free from the board is too add solder to all pins and heat all pins at the same exact time and gently pull on the pot to remove it the same exact thing can be done two pin connectors but you have to be patience for the solder to flow so you can remove the component or have a Desoldering Gun station for best results

I use this method when replacing capacitors on boards when the pins are close together

Try to avoid use the tip of the soldering iron to push the component leads because you either damage the component or the soldering iron or the board

The reason this hard to do is this is a two layer board which requires more heat to melt the solder

If you do not have a temperature controlled soldering iron I would highly recommend that if you are going to remove components from two or more layer boards this would a good investment

And if you are going to a lot of this type of work then would also recommend that you consider a Desoldering Gun station as another investment as well
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-19-2022, 04:32 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Okay one trick to get the pins free from the board is too add solder to all pins and heat all pins at the same exact time and gently pull on the pot to remove it the same exact thing can be done two pin connectors but you have to be patience for the solder to flow so you can remove the component or have a Desoldering Gun station for best results

I use this method when replacing capacitors on boards when the pins are close together

Try to avoid use the tip of the soldering iron to push the component leads because you either damage the component or the soldering iron or the board

The reason this hard to do is this is a two layer board which requires more heat to melt the solder

If you do not have a temperature controlled soldering iron I would highly recommend that if you are going to remove components from two or more layer boards this would a good investment

And if you are going to a lot of this type of work then would also recommend that you consider a Desoldering Gun station as another investment as well
          Thanks now I have other equipment that can do most things but I need more experience. Sam can I ask you to look at a thread I have posted on TVs and video Sources your experience is needed thanks

Comment

no one who can suggest anything to fix the misery

Comment

Working...
            X