HP W2207 No Backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP W2207 No Backlight

I pulled the inverter out of an HP W2207 Monitor. Inverter id is: ILPI-029 Rev. A
    490891400101R E131175
    I suspected bad caps(Suscon) so I replaced them all. Monitor worked for 3 hrs. and went back to the same problem. (No Backlight). I checked all the caps and none had failed. I used a Fluke 16 which I find reliable for testing these caps. Any ideas on what else would fail. I suspect the Schottky Barrier Rectifier could be possible. But Ohming it out it tested O.K.

Re: HP W2207 No Backlight

Originally posted by Triumphantcc View Post
    Monitor worked for 3 hrs. and went back to the same problem. (No Backlight).
    1) Please post clear focused pictures of your all boards (top down view - both sides of the board) using the manage attachments feature. Please do not post inline or offsite.

2) A picture of your boards may help others see a "hot spot" or somethiing that is causing the lcd to shut off. I believe there are 3 boards in this monitor: power, logic, and inverter.

3) Check for poor soldering as well.

4) One suggestion. Try lowering the brightness and contrast settings to 35/35 and see if the monitor stays on longer?

5) The Fluke 16 is a fine meter and does a good job of checking for capacitance, but it doesn't check for ESR.

6) What brand and series did you use for replacement caps?
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: numbered everything to make it easier to read and answer
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I used Nichicon Caps I purchased from overseas. The board is a 4 lamp power inverter with a amplifier circuit built in for the speakers on the monitor.
      You can see an exact picture of this board here. http://mylcdboard.com/2010_11/ZD100044.html I am not familiar with uploading pictures to BadCaps Forum and I don't want to violate rules. It said to not load photos inline with posts???? I will be glad to send you pictures if you will give me an email address. I doubt the caps will fail ESR because they are brand new. However, If you suggest it; I will replace everyone of them again and see if it cures the problem. I have suspicions about the Transistor C1815GR located at Q801 & IC803. And the Schottky Barrier Rectifier (D79 SP1040C) Located at D805.

Comment

Originally posted by Triumphantcc View Post
        I used Nichicon Caps I purchased from overseas.
        Nichicon like others make a variety of caps or series. Each series is designed for specific characteristics. Some Nichicon series are not low esr caps. What series did you use?

If you bought these caps from ebay, you may have gotten fake caps as well.

You can see an exact picture of this board here.
        We always want to see your board. Looking at someone's board is like a surgeon operating on you with someone else's xrays.

I am not familiar with uploading pictures to BadCaps Forum and I don't want to violate rules. It said to not load photos inline with posts????
        The manage attachments button is right below the "post icons" section. Just scroll down.

Posting inline pictures slows everything down. This is an example of the pics we want

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Please Tell me how to create and post thumbnails for pictures? i will attach pictures of the board. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

The manage attachments button is right below the "post icons" section. Just scroll down.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

This is how you post the thumbnail pictures.

As for your failure, If I changed the caps and the system worked for a little bit (3 hours), I'd think either you didnt really fix the problem or something else was ready to die and it did. Just a thought.
            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

I want to make sure were understanding your problem
              Do you see any activity of backlights at all? Even a brief flash?
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I normally do not like to resurrect threads that have been dead for a while, but I have this monitor with the exact same issue. I can take the requested photos if someone would be willing to look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by WTAstronaut View Post
                  I normally do not like to resurrect threads that have been dead for a while, but I have this monitor with the exact same issue. I can take the requested photos if someone would be willing to look at them.
                  That's the usual process.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi

I have the same power supply. The problem is almost the same.

When turned ON the coloring is all reddish, but then in few seconds the back light shuts down. Picture is still on the screen when I look carefully at it.

No caps are blown.
                    Since no one attached the pictures I uploaded couple of mine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Redion View Post
                      When turned ON the coloring is all reddish, but then in few seconds the back light shuts down.
                      You might be experiencing 2 seconds to black. A reddish or pinkish glow indicates the ccfls are dying.

Details and more explained in posts #19 and #20 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Pictures of bad ccfls (pinkish) are also in the above link.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Checked the bulbs by inserting one at the time and found the one that gives reddish light! After that I took my LCD panel apart. and found the bad light. Take a look at the pic.

Thanks alot!

Now, where do I buy a replacement bulb?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Redion; 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I purchased some replacement ccfl's from www.CCFLwarehouse.com through e-Bay not too long ago for a 19" monitor that I fixed. I didn't have any issues with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250474949765#ht_1047wt_1163

Several members on the forums have used them.

Comment

Replacement tutorial at

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

It is fragile work and you must go slow. If you are easily frustrated or are tempted to use a hammer, you can buy them pre harnessed/assembled from the same site. Obviously it cost more for this option.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Redion View Post
                              Now, where do I buy a replacement bulb?
                              Answer was inferred in the same URL in post #20.

d) Replacing a CCFL is a delicate operation. See "Lamp Soldering Tutorial" at http://ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html to see what steps are involved. CCFLs can be sold "bare" or "pre-harnessed". The latter is easier to replace and install, but is more expensive.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

R521 ?

Comment

Originally posted by lilmax4ever View Post
                                  R521 ?
                                  4-band resistor: orange, orange, black, gold. 33 ohms, 5%, 1/2 watt

Comment

Working...
                                  X