Vizio M70-C3 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio M70-C3 Issue

I have a Vizio M70-C3 I replaced the LEDs on. That all went fine (had to redo a few solder joints, but no problem). Panel was working great after reassembly (handling that thing is nerve racking, especially when it's 70"). But when I went to do final assembly, it appears one of the flat flex cables between the TCON and the thin PCBs attached to the panel came lose and was in its connector crooked. After that, half the display didn't work correctly (symptoms hard to describe - see attached pictures, best description is that half the display seems to show white and black OK, but other colors are just wrong and it almost looks like the display oddly low resolution in the affected areas). I also think I may have smelled an electronics burning smell on the first power up after that. I don't feel any chips being especially hot, but that doesn't mean something isn't damaged.

So, what I'm wondering is if I only damaged the TCON (a runtk5556tp) or I might have damaged the panel too. My assumption is that the flat flex cables have signal pins interspersed with ground pins and having the cable in the connector improperly resulted in some of the drivers in the TCON being shorted to ground, something they probably didn't like very much. It doesn't appear there are any buffer chips on the flex cables that bond to the panel, so any damage on the panel side would have to be in the panel itself. So, maybe the panel is OK, but I don't know what sort of signals come out of that TCON and what might damage the panel.

Is there a good way to troubleshoot this, short of ordering another TCON? I have a reasonably fast oscilloscope (200MHz), so I could maybe probe some of the signals and see if they are still alive. What should those signals look like? Could I swap sides on the TCON? Or am I pretty much doomed to roll the dice on a TCON? Funny thing is, I could probably sell the PSU and digital board for more than I paid for the TV and have enough left over to be a good way towards a brand new 70" TV (on sale). But then I'd hate to maybe throw away a perfectly good panel.
    Attached Files
Working...
X