Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind generator charger schematics (or load of baloney ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wind generator charger schematics (or load of baloney ?)

Hot water has already been invented. You will find what you need in... motorcycles. Basically all pre-2000 (I'm not sure about the newer ones) have a magneto with 2 or 3 coils. I guess you can get the rectifiers from a motorcycle scrapyard or pick one of the many schematics available in google ( https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...=lnms&tbm=isch )

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
      Hot water has already been invented. You will find what you need in... motorcycles. Basically all pre-2000 (I'm not sure about the newer ones) have a magneto with 2 or 3 coils. I guess you can get the rectifiers from a motorcycle scrapyard or pick one of the many schematics available in google ( https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...=lnms&tbm=isch )
      motorbikes are 3 phase .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        motorbikes are 3 phase .
        Yes, I also have seen bikes with only 3 phases/coils (japan made), but apparently there are some with 2 and single phase ... like scooters, old ussr ones, etc.

p.s. my bad - now checked again the schematics, what I though that was a diagram of a 2phase rectifier was a single phase. So I guess even the ruskies did not make such a unicorn.
        Last edited by madan1; 09-22-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Great...the notification emails about this post suddenly ended up in my spam folder for whatever reason, so I had no idea people replied FAIL

True, I haven't seen a single one of this guy's inventions so far, so I too have no idea what's supposed to happen there....and I'm not curious to find out anyway, since that's NOT what I'd use for this project to begin with as far as the electronics are concerned.
          I also agree with not wanting to reinvent the wheel here. As much as I like the idea of DIY turbines as a hobby and for a bit of fun and experimenting in the name of science, I'm not ready to put in a lot of time and effort into something that's already been invented AND is much better off the shelf than I'd ever be able to make it. The idea of a bridge rectifier on the output still seems to go right past this guy

I also had a brain-fart: last summer, I upgraded the motor on my E-bike to a bigger one and I remember such motors are BLDC motors, which conveniently have 3 wires for power. Although I no longer have the old motor to experiment with, because I sold it, it got me thinking whether such an E-bike motor would function as a generator.
          Last edited by Dannyx; 09-25-2022, 12:11 PM.
          Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
            I sold it, it got me thinking whether such an E-bike motor would function as a generator.
            It might if it has a permanent magnet in the motor
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              It might if it has a permanent magnet in the motor
              shouldn't matter if the field coils can be excited .

Comment

I doubt it's got field coils. It's most likely a BLDC with the magnets stuck to the outer casing that spins around the stator coils. It's backed up by the fact that it's got 3 main wires coming out of it and although it has another connector with a bunch of smaller pins as well, that's most likely for some sort of speed/position sensors, as the wires are way to fine a gauge to be anything else, like power. Field coils would probably waste power to begin with, which isn't something we want. I was thinking about a car alternator, but it's the same problem: no permanent magnets, unless I modify it...

Right now, I'm still waiting for the guy to tell me what happens to the joule thief circuit once he tries it out
                Wattevah...

Comment

Here's how I'd imagine a small-ish DIY charge controller for home use. The components can be up-scaled as needed for bigger stuff, of course. That battery switch is a little tricky, as it has to open when the turbine turns (charge mode) and close when the wind stops (battery mode). I see an op-amp in there somewhere maybe...

Victron already has this stuff pre-made from what I gather.
                  Attached Files
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                  X