Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different (lower) resistor values on PCB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different (lower) resistor values on PCB?

Dear Alls,
    For sure it id a stupid question, but help me to understand. I am in a Dell 2007WFP revitalizing project - searching reason why not starting. Some resistors needed to replaced is is obvious. When I have soldered some resistors the measured (with multimeter) values were sometimes rather different written on them. I supposed these are wrong units so I desoldered and made a checking measurement and voilá the values is the same is written on. This happens only in case of a few resistors, most have the same values (+/- 10%) are written on it. "strange" SMD resistors =>103 10k in hand, but 3.5k on the PCB, 183 18k in hand, but 8.25k and 9.27 on the PCB.
    Is it normal? Or do other parts need to check/replace?
    OTHER
    2202 resistor shows increasing values when I measure on the PCB (starts from 4.1k upto 20.1k. In all cases the board is power off, of course.
    Any tip, lesson to learn? Because of the strange values I do not want to switch the board onto 230V.

Re: Different (lower) resistor values on PCB?

so you discovered you cant reliably test resistor values in circuit because other things change the results . the reading increasing in value is a capacitor charging up ..swap your probes over and it will drop rather than go up .

Comment

Thank you! So if I understand well, the phenomena is normal in both cases, isn't it? If the resistor shows normal values out-of-circuit measures, will work as must after soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        so you discovered you cant reliably test resistor values in circuit because other things change the results . the reading increasing in value is a capacitor charging up ..swap your probes over and it will drop rather than go up .
        One more question: some diodes show the similar phenomena above, which is weird for me. In hand the diode shows polarity if I check with a multimeter (value in case of right polarity and nothing vice versa) BUT if I solder in the multimeter measure minimal value in both polarity direction. Is it acceptable or I have to seek a bad element somewhere in the circuit?

Comment

all depends on the circuit and what is affecting the reading .

Comment

So might it be a "normal" phenomena or a/some false other elements? If some error, what should I look for in the circuit? Any suggestion?

Comment

Working...
            X