Macbook Pro 2020 Touch Bar A2289 Ambient sensor and camera not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro 2020 Touch Bar A2289 Ambient sensor and camera not working

Hi everyone. I have this laptop after water damage. The main board wasn't really affected apart from a slight residue but components seem unharmed, but trackpad was very corroded and had to replace a few components. The problem is that the ALS ambient light sensor isn't working as well as camera. Sometimes even my screen image goes blank with backlight on and I have to close the lid and reopen it. I believe there is some issue with communication as

MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_P,
    MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_N,
    MIPI_FTCAM_CLK_P,
    MIPI_FTCAM_CLK_N,

They show 0V all the time. The I2C_FTCAM_SDA_R and I2C_FTCAM_SCL_R have 1.8V Also when I go to System information the APPLE T2 BUS doesn't have any serial numbers apart from Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, rest are all zeros not sure if that's was supposed to be or not.

I also had to reflow the LCD board as the screen wouldn't turn on at all and I noticed when I heat it up slightly it starts to work. Where or what should I be looking at?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kuba2102; 07-24-2022, 07:47 AM.

Re: Macbook Pro 2020 Touch Bar A2289 Ambient sensor and camera not working

See attached.

There is a security MUX IC @ U8502.

Confirm the voltage and the ENABLE pin # 11 voltages.

Consider to flux and reflow this IC if you suspect liquid hit this area.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's the IC I mentioned. Pin #11 goes straight to U6650 so no way of measuring it unless I take the IC OFF. The I2C_FTCAM_DSBL_SDA #13 and I2C_FTCAM_DSBL_SCL #12 both have 1.8V. I did reflow this IC but probably gonna try removing it completely.

Comment

The Silego part is a DFN package and pin 12 is a corner pin.

Sometimes, you can see a bit of solder from the SMD pad - can you meter probe pin #12 ?

Do you have voltages on the MIPI pins on the other side of the MUX ?

The MIPI pins will only be active after the MIPI CSI camera is enabled. The CSI interface will require the presence of the data & clock lines in addition to the usual power & ground rails.

Confirm that the inductor / EMI filters @ L8502 & L8503 are in tact.

What is the voltage of PP5V_G3S_ALSCAM (pin # 46 of J8500) ?

Do you see a voltage on the I2C_FTCAM_ISOL_SCL / SDA pins ?

The actual MUX may need to be replaced.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kuba2102 View Post
          MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_P,
          MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_N,
          MIPI_FTCAM_CLK_P,
          MIPI_FTCAM_CLK_N,

They show 0V all the time. The I2C_FTCAM_SDA_R and I2C_FTCAM_SCL_R have 1.8V
          If that's the MIPI you are asking for then no they all show 0V,
          I2C_FTCAM_SDA_R 1.8V
          I2C_FTCAM_SCL_R 1.8V
          EMI filters @ L8502 & L8503 are in tact.
          PP5V_G3S_ALSCAM has 3.3V

U6650 pin 12 has 1.8V
          Last edited by kuba2102; 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

If that's the MIPI you are asking for then no they all show 0V,
            Sorry - should have been more clear.

Can you measure to see if there are any voltages between the MUX & the J8500 connector pins for the MIPI CSI camera ?

Specifically, these are the following:

MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_N and also check MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_FILT_CONN_N

and the rest of the MIPI lines in the same way.

If even a single MIPI line is damaged, the camera will not work.

The voltage of the 'S' pin #11 on the mux is required to understand in which side the mux is steering the logic. Perhaps you can see the trace under the black solder mask that can be very very gently scraped to allow for a probe check ?

Comment

MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_N. 0V
              MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_FILT_CONN_N 0V
              MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_P 0V
              MIPI_FTCAM_DATA_ISOL_FILT_CONN_P 0V
              U6650 pin 12 to pin 11 U8502 has 1.8V

I have solid connection from MIPI filters to the ribbon connecting the LCD. Perhaps The LCD board part could be damaged?
              Last edited by kuba2102; 07-24-2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

SOLVED: Macbook Pro 2020 Touch Bar A2289 Ambient sensor and camera not working

Okay after double checking the LCD flex it turned out that PP5V_G3S_ALSCAM line was missing (burned out) i run a short lead for test and the camera and light sensor started working for few minutes but now the line seems to be shorted..
                Last edited by kuba2102; 07-24-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Review the inductor that is on the same line in series of the PP5V_G3S_ALSCAM and the connector.

Is it still in tact or did it get damaged? The part can only support so much current.

Comment

Okay I managed it finally. It was my mistake with the short. Anyway thanks a lot for bunch of help from you it definitely helped me moving on. All the best

Comment

Hi,

I have similar problem, but in my case the connector on display board has corroded and broken pins. Can anyone suggest the type / name of the connector or where to buy it? It looks the same as on A1708 / A1706 display except that on those this type connector is on the cable side not on the display board.

Comment

Yes, working on a MIPI DSI design and took a while but found the proper names.

These are called mezzanine connectors and they do vary in their pin-to-pin pitch. Some are 0.35mm while common are 0.40mm.

The height appears to be common. Molex is one vendor but there are tons in Asia since they are making their phone for brand X, Y and Z.

How soon do you require the part ? The schematic should reference likely the MOLEX version.

What is the connector reference for this component ?

See here for starters - again, need to know the pin-pitch; then review if you require the MALE or FEMALE version of this connector.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/...hoC6ucQAvD_BwE

I believe that you require a 20 pin connector where 18 are for signal + 2 for the outside ground tabs but let us confirm this with the schematics.

Comment

It looks slightly different from the one in your link. Size of it is approximately 5.1x2x0.7mm, pin spacing is 0.35mm. It is a 20pin connector where 16pin are for signal and one in each corner is ground. I believe it is female connector (Receptacle). I am not sure there is a schematic for it as the part is on the display T-Con board.

Comment

I believe this is your part...

0.35mm pitch, 16 contacts (8 per side), receptacle
                            Hirose is one vendor of these

Select the 16 pin version of the receptacle and compare the dimensions. Mouser or Digikey should have these.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...88j4CKVQ%3D%3D
                            * Link to the 16 pin version

Mouser has these in stock if in a rush.

If not in a rush, you can buy them at a lower cost in Asia but will take a few weeks for delivery.

See attached for the datasheet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mon2; 09-03-2022, 04:42 AM.

Comment

None of those look close to what I need, I have searched the mouser page with no luck. All look similar but not the same. Here is picture of replacement cables for repairing A1706 displays which suffer the flexgate / stagelight issue. The one on the right looks exactly the same as on A2289 screen board and the one on the left look like counterpart on the camera / sensor cable. Could buy these and transfer but that would be a pain to remove it from cable without damaging.

Comment

You will not be able to salvage the connector from a donor flex cable without deforming the plastic like a chucky-doll.

See attached.

What part does not match ? Source a few of both the male & female connectors and test their fit to move on.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ordered the connector but it did not fit as I already thought - could not connect it with the cable, it seem to have slightly thicker center plastic and wouldn't fit on. So still looking to find the right connector.

Comment

That really sucks...Dyson style.

Go with your original plan to buy the extension cable that may be a good fit and use the following tool to safely remove the connectors. Do not use hot air. Lots of flux and patience.

US $1.49 50%OFF | Mini Ironing Heating Table Soldering Iron Tip For JBC 210 UD-1200 Sugon T26 Soldering Station IC Reballing Flex Cable Repair
                                    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMdZcJq

Update this thread with your progress.

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...psort=1&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by kuba2102 View Post

Okay I managed it finally. It was my mistake with the short. Anyway thanks a lot for bunch of help from you it definitely helped me moving on. All the best
                                        Hi, would you be so kind and share with us how you solved the problem?
                                        I have the same issue with an A2289, facetime camera, ALS sensor and keyboard backlight doesn't work
                                        Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                        X