Lenovo ThinkPad e495 BIOS update interrupted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo ThinkPad e495 BIOS update interrupted

Hi! I have a ThinkPad e495 that doesn't turn on anymore after being shutdown accidentally during a bios update.
    When I try to turn it on, the power button flashes rapidly about 5 times, the caps lock key stays on, and cannot shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. I've tried disconnecting the battery, and it turns off, but then again when I turn it back on it does the same thing.
    I suppose I need to flash the original bios, and even got a ch341a eeprom programmer + 1.8v adapter. I have a couple of problems with this, first the bios file on lenovo's website has a fl1 extension and I'm not sure if I'll be able to flash it on the winbond 25q128fwsq chip.
    Just to make sure the ch341a is working OK, I read the chip on an Intel laptop without issues.
    Can anybody help me?

Does anybody have the original bios for this model?

Any clues on what the power button flashing means?

Sorry for the wall of text, and any mistakes I may have made, English is not my first language.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad e495 BIOS update interrupted

Originally posted by anaximperator View Post
    Hi! I have a ThinkPad e495 that doesn't turn on anymore after being shutdown accidentally during a bios update.
    The CH341A has some better software you can use,and if you have the black PCB model theres a voltage mod that will make it a bit more stable

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...40&postcount=2
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...3&postcount=21

Make 2 or 3 backups then open them with a hex editor or file compare software to make sure all backups are the same, and there is some code in them,not reading al FF`s .Post your backup here as an attachment in a zip or rar file and somebody will help you
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hey, thanks for replying!
      Yesterday using asprogrammer I got to make a backup of the original bios, but I'm afraid it's garbage.
      After reading a lot of forums, and searching for a suitable bios bin like crazy, I found a post on this forum about someone with the same laptop. I downloaded that bios and applied it to the laptop, because I figured that it wouldn't be worse than its current status. It turns out I made some progress, because at least now it shows the Lenovo logo, but immediatelly after that, it beeps a few times and displays "0183: Bad CRC of Security Settings in EFI variable. Press F1 to enter Setup.", and after pressing F1, it just goes to a black screen and setup never loads. So I guess it's progress, though probably not in the right direction.
      I'm attaching the original bios backup, as well as the one I applied later that's failing.
      Thanks for your time
      Attached Files

Comment

E495 (Type 20NE) Laptop (ThinkPad)
        Attached Files

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Awesome! It worked! Thank you so much!
          I noticed this laptop, although it has 6gb of ram and a nvme ssd, runs super slowly, even worse than a laptop with a celeron processor. Could it be due to the new bios, or should I try to troubleshoot this as something not related to that?

Comment

Originally posted by hoaca388 View Post
            Works for me!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoaca388 View Post
              It helpet.

Comment