HP Elite x2 1012 G2 fix BIOS password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elite X2 1012 G2 need help to remove the password from the dump attached below
    Thank you.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-11-2023, 01:02 PM. Reason: Attachments cleanup,server space low.

Re: HP Elite X2 1012 G2 bios password

try
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-11-2023, 01:01 PM. Reason: Attachments cleanup,server space low.

Comment

Originally posted by marcin02152 View Post
      try
      Thank you very much it worked.

Comment

Hi everyone

I bought an HP Elite X2 1012 G2 recently, but turns out the BIOS is locked and the guy I bought it from doesn't remember the password

Called HP and they don't provide the BIN files they used to anymore.

Bought an CH341A programmer with test clip, read about how to use it and read the BIOS to a .bin file.

I hope I put the clip in the right position, since the first lines in CH341A programmer are all blank (FF). Information only starts at 00907960 with lots of empty spaces in between. I'm pretty new to this

Can someone check this file for validity, provide assistance if I screwed up and provide a cleaned bios.bin file without a password?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ajG...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you so much.

Jan Mestdagh

Comment

Re: HP Elite x2 1012 G2 fix BIOS password

try...
          Attached Files
          Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Thank you so much for the file, Peste!

I'm trying to flash it but at the moment I don't get any further than "write operations timeout failed code 255".. I'm sure I selected the right BIOS Chip (Winbond W25Q128FV) and the clip is still attached in the same way as it was when I read and erased the chip. I can also check if blank and that process also gave me a positive result.

I read somewhere that some BIOS chips cannot be flashed while they're stll seated in the motherboard, I hope that's not the case with this one since I don't have a suffeciently precise soldering iron to desolder and reattach it...

EDIT: when I use the "auto" procedure, I get "Chip Main Memory with the contents are in disagreement"
            Last edited by oaneex; 01-02-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

the chip must be removed from the motherboard ...
              Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

Comment

Could someone please help me Identify which is the BIOS I need to remove for this device?

I believe it’s the Winbond on the end of the main board, however I’m being thrown off by the chip on the rear that’s exposed.

TIA

Tom

Comment

Try to disconnect battery connector and charger, and wait for some time for capacitors to drain and try to read chip content, also verify chip content with buffer data, if it passes, you are good to go, erase the chip and upload unlocked file, i have tried it in the past, with HP Elite X2 1012 G2 while the chip installed in motherboard, it worked.
                  Last edited by JacobOlamba; 07-11-2020, 02:50 PM. Reason: grammatical mistake.

Comment

I've just managed to flash the SPI flash on my Elite x2 1012 G2 with a WSON8 test clip (i.e. without desoldering the chip) -- it's definitely much less reliable than reading a SOP8/TSOP8 package, but I worked around that by reading it repeatedly until I got three dumps that agreed with each other.

As for writing... I just wrote the dump once (albeit only the BIOS section, because we don't need to touch the IFD/ME/GbE sections) and hoped that it worked. The flash verification failed, but the tablet booted up fine after turning on and off thrice and showing the updating screen.

At this point, it might be a good idea to upgrade the BIOS just in case you wrote a corrupted copy of the BIOS to the flash. Or you could try to flash it multiple times until you got a correct copy, but it seemed like quite a waste of time to me.

Originally posted by Wheldon93 View Post
                    Could someone please help me Identify which is the BIOS I need to remove for this device?

I believe it's the Winbond on the end of the main board, however I'm being thrown off by the chip on the rear that's exposed.

TIA

Tom
                    Yes, it's the Winbond W25Q128FV that's located diagonally below the USB-C connector; it should be the WSON8 package that's being covered by the thin, brown flex cable running from the display to the motherboard.

Comment

Hello all, Sorry for posting on a another thread, I thought it would help
                      people more with this all being in the same place.

I have the HP Elite X2 1012 G2 it was my dads its been on top of the wardrobe
                      for 2 years doing nothing, it has no bios password but the bios is corrupted.
                      the bios does load at startup as soon as you press enter or the up and down button it freezes.

After seeing this post I got the CH341A USB Programmer, but it turns out I have a different chip
                      in my HP Elite X2 1012 G2, I have a Winbond 25Q128JVPQ and not the Winbond W25Q128FV.

I was wondering if the HP 1012 G2.rar in the second post was going to work on my chip?
                      and my programmer has not got the options and settings for this 25Q128JVPQ chip in the chip menu.

Could I buy a blank Winbond W25Q128FV and change the bios chip in my laptop with the older one?.

Thanks for any help with this.

Comment

Check the CMOS battery first,if the voltage is low replace it. The software included with the CH341A is crap,it doesn`t have great support for 128MB chips. There`s some alternative software called AsProgrammer,NeoProgrammer and Colibri that have much better support.

NeoProgrammer - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1599328542
                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-12-2021, 09:24 AM.
                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks for a swift reply mate, Apart from the main battery I can not see any other battery on the main board, The main battery has a good charge in it.

I have not looked on the back of the main board, would it be on the back?
                          I have a lot of soldering skills removing or even soldering 8 wires on the bios
                          is not a problem, I was hoping to flash it on the main board so have not removed it.

Thanks for the programming software link mate this is very helpful.

Comment

If theres no cmos battery then the RTC is powered by the main battery.The 25Q128JVPQ is a WSON8 ,you can either desolder it or solder (insulated) wires to the outer pads.You`ll need to connect the charger before the chip will read ok.

EDIT: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...25f4b05fae.pdf
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-11-2020, 05:01 AM.
                            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks mate your a diamond. I will have a good go at this over the weekend
                              and will let you know how I got on.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello, a quick update, flashing the bios went well, the bin file on the
                                second post did not work on my chip but I did find one that did work.
                                now the bios is all ok and it has been updated to v135.

but now I have the problem of the ssd drive not showing up

The SSD (Solid State Drive) is not recognized and the following error is displayed:

Boot Device Not Found
                                Please install an operating system on your computer
                                Hard Disk - (3f0)

I think I need a new hard drive, anyone know if I need to change anything
                                in the bios?

Thanks for all your help.
                                Last edited by Dan20701; 09-15-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marcin02152 View Post
                                  try
                                  Hi, can you help to remove password from my bios, thank you
                                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-11-2023, 01:01 PM. Reason: Attachments cleanup,server space low.

Comment

Originally posted by umer_m View Post
                                    Hi, can you help to remove password from my bios, thank you
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79956

Comment

Thank you very much. done

Comment

Could you please help me with the flash process.
                                        I have exactly the same device wit an W25Q128JVPQ Chip.
                                        I can read, erase, blank check but not write successfuly.
                                        I am using the Ch341A Programmer with the Chip disoldered from mainboard and connected to the programmer with jumper wires.
                                        I've teste NeoProgrammer aswell. when i auto programm the chip, the process errors immediately. When i write only it finishes but the verifying is faulty.

Thank you so much for your help

Comment

Working...
                                        X