What else have you guys been fixing !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What else have you guys been fixing !

I've fixed TVs and laptop PSUs (and similar power adapters) mostly since I started learning how to fix power supplies... Oh, and I did fix a treadmill as well .. They cant take that away from me... :-)

But what else have you guys been fixing. I buy stuff from those ebay type websites and fix them, so I'm looking for other opportunities for fixing and hopefully earning a few quid...

Re: What else have you guys been fixing !

well in Colorado growing pot is legal and they tend to use those shitty inverter based ballasts that nuke the AM band, those are what i fix.
    its usually a bad cap, or a burnt resistor in the startup circuit. all caused by pot tar getting in the bearings, which let me tell yah pot tar mixed with motor oil looks nasty!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Sometimes fault-find car wiring and car electronics, sensors, but not into mechanics. Proper wiring of car trailers with LED lights (solder joints with heat shrink, no connectors unless in water sealed junction box, electrical conduit secures & protects wiring)

I repaired a frost-free Samsung Fridge/Freezer there's a thermal fuse inside near heating element which switches on periodically to remove frost from cooling element, after a time these will go, a limited usage lifespan in such temperature variance , took a while to learn n' figure out. I kept the fridge as didn't want the responsibility if something went wrong after as couldn't get correct 85C part local so went for higher value.

If electrons flow through it, it's pretty much the same thing, input control output.
      -----------------
      A simple cheap SMD airflow tool is a handheld gas soldering iron without the iron :. is a selective hot airflow which can be regulated by turning up/down gas, also no onerous air lead. I have replaced many components without damaging them or the solder pads all within seconds... can also be used as a soldering iron & on heat shrink
      .----------------

Comment

My friend has a mobilty scooter that died. The company that sold it told him it needed a new motor costing £400. Either they are thieves or inept. Turned out to be the manual/electrical brake on the end that was at fault. £50 for a second hand one.

Comment

I'm looking at an old Tripp Lite line conditioner, model LC-1200. It works but regulates to 110v, not 120v. I can find no information about it. Pic of transformer attached. Obviously needs cleaning.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well,today I fixed a old speaker that was broken using what I had.

The result?It works,but it's real quiet,since the new one was built from 3 small speakers wired together (kinda like laptop speakers) and it sounds like a laptop speaker.

Other than that,nothing to complain about,it sounds nice. However,I still have to add 3-4 more small speakers like that so it at least would sound as loud as the other speaker. (the right speaker works,it was the left that didn't work)

A pic of how the speaker looks (pic not mine anddon't mind the PCB and the switch in the pic since I don't use them,just the speaker) :
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dan81; 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              My friend has a mobilty scooter that died. The company that sold it told him it needed a new motor costing £400. Either they are thieves or inept. Turned out to be the manual/electrical brake on the end that was at fault. £50 for a second hand one.
              A friend asked me to have a look at one of those he had replaced the key barrel as OAP lost key, after couldn't get it to go and no patience wrt electrics. I went there just to get the manual to read overnight, as never seen one before no idea what to expect, turns out just had to turn on key then press a button like an ignition button for it to work, thankfully as I didn't feel like playing with motors.

There was a scam in the UK with mobility scooters think was on "don't get done/scammed with Dom"
              -----------------
              A simple cheap SMD airflow tool is a handheld gas soldering iron without the iron :. is a selective hot airflow which can be regulated by turning up/down gas, also no onerous air lead. I have replaced many components without damaging them or the solder pads all within seconds... can also be used as a soldering iron & on heat shrink
              .----------------

Comment

The engine and gearbox came out in 10 minutes and I fed it 24v from my power supply. A short was indicated, upon closer inspection someone had bypassed the brake switch with some twist and tape ! With the solenoid removed the motor then ran. I re soldered the brake switch and when we turned on the scooter it gave us a beep code indicating the brake solenoid.

Comment

fixed my mom's sprinkler system circuit board. would not program, display just flashed on and off. took board out and had bad cap! anyway replaced it and it started working. $1.69 vs $200 Got lucky again!

Comment

Wiring to the antenna, headphones, simple home stuff. Tried to recap a mobo of which I have no details, 4 caps (2 3300uf and 2 1000uf) were bulging, though showed not problems when in the mobo, after removal I got 3,4ohms and a broken circuit message from my PEAK ESR meter. Replaced with 2 brand new Rubycons and 2 spare noname whatevers - upon my turn on the Serial Port driver (i presume) and a VRM regulator exploded . As I mentioned - no info on the mobo, was just given to me, and after inspection I found the mobo being bent much on the bottom, which basically gives me a hint that the previous owner didn't care much about it. Also found some corrosion, thus didn't bother myself with that. Proceeding to a mobo with all the caps bulged for the CPU VRM, but the mobo still boots up and is stable, thus will tell me if I solder the stuff correctly or not - just a beginner you know - but it's pretty easy, just need to prove it to myself.
                    Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

I'm rebuilding an HP Pavilion 1102. Hot hard drive, bad sectors, root-kit infections, power supply shutting down. I've got stuff wanted (pics and vids) backed up to another drive safely, it is basically working after replacing the power supply and drive and installing a fresh OS.

I am dismangling an old Dell powered subwoofer for fun. Maybe see if it can be a general purpose amp or little guitar practice amp.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                        I'm rebuilding an HP Pavilion 1102. Hot hard drive, bad sectors, root-kit infections, power supply shutting down. I've got stuff wanted (pics and vids) backed up to another drive safely
                        I use two options for backing up PCs where I work, Steve... Disk2VHD and Clonezilla.. Clonezilla is fantastic and will even backup up RAIDed SAS Server disks... BUT, it will only restore the image file back to a disk (meaning that you cant easily access the data without doing a full image back to another empty disk)... I had one of Pavilions in to the shop a few years back... GPU desolders itself... Dreadful stuff, shape on HP for that one.

Comment

Samsung laser printer (bad cap), oscillating fan (dry bushing) and the magnifier head broke off its swing arm so I had to rig something up. May need more attention at a later date lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X