Need help testing an OLED TV | LG 55EC9300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help testing an OLED TV | LG 55EC9300

I have gotten my hands on my first OLED TV, cracked screen sadly. There is oh so very tiny crack in the upper right corner, barely visible. If I am correct, once the OLED screen cracks, it will not self-illuminate at all, correct me if I am wrong.

I am trying to figure out if the TVs parts are salvageable. When I turn the TV on, I hear a relay click, ~2 seconds later it clicks out. I do not get any blink error codes. I don't know if that is normal operation of the OLED TVs when they are clacked, of if there is an inherent issue.

PSU is showing good stand by voltage, I even get PSU_ON from main for that short time it is "on". The 12V and 24V are there as well for that time.

The DRV-ON circuit however is not on (0V), and the 24V pins on the bottom of the board, leading to the T-Con, are also at 0V.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help testing an OLED TV | LG 55EC9300

The only thing i know is that "Freakafter8" said that the mainboard goes into some kind of protection mode after turning on the defective tv for 5 or 10 times?

But it indeed does not work anymore when the panel is cracked. Like plasma.
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Once he screen has a fault like crack, etc the TV will go in 'self-protect' mode. The PCBs will be good. So store them for future use.

Comment

IDK, I had a similar model (55EG9100) last year with cracked screen as well. I was able to turn it on, plug the laptop to it and at least get sound from speakers.

Comment

I have the same TV, I don't see any cracks, and have forced PS_on, and DRV_ON I get all of the voltages including 24v at the TCON, Do the OLED panels light without the motherboard connected? mine does not.
          Does anyone know how to reset the motherboard with the service remote?
          Goshen NY, USA

Comment

I bought a service remote, and was able to turn the TV on with the power only button, and for a couple of minutes the screen was looking good, then the right half went distorted and dark, and tripped out. I can turn it on again, but it trips out much faster than the first time.
            When it starts I get a good onscreen display for 30 seconds now. What would the likely problem be? TCON maybe?
            Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by speter View Post
              I bought a service remote, and was able to turn the TV on with the power only button, and for a couple of minutes the screen was looking good, then the right half went distorted and dark, and tripped out. I can turn it on again, but it trips out much faster than the first time.
              When it starts I get a good onscreen display for 30 seconds now. What would the likely problem be? TCON maybe?
              it is helpful if you uploaded photo on the screen behavior. some kind right screen distorted because of the main boards.. some kind of distorted half screen because of the low level edge boards of the panel. so i encourage you to start with edge boards you may find visible causer.

Comment

I'll try. But it will be hard, because it happens for a very short time before tripping out.
                If I disconnect the ribbon for that side of the screen, should the tv work normally if the OLED panel or driver is bad? Can the ribbon be switched left for right?
                Is there any guide or manual on how to use the functions of the service remote?
                Last edited by speter; 11-02-2020, 07:39 PM.
                Goshen NY, USA

Comment

I'll try. But it will be hard, because it happens for a very short time before tripping out.
                  If I disconnect the ribbon for that side of the screen, should the tv work normally if the OLED panel or driver is bad? Can the ribbon be switched left for right?
                  Is there any guide or manual on how to use the functions of the service remote?
                  NO
                  NO

service RC. you can use it for power it. and the "IN_STOP" it hard reset followed with inter code 0413. EZ_ADJ & IN_START followed with same code 0413 are for changing parameter at the main eeprom this you don't need.

Try this test. disconnect the 24V socket cable from Power Boards to the T_CON driver boards.. then switch it on see if the set will remain ON but with black screen. you could know that the set ON from the red LED indicator should lit ON at the Optic Audio Input.

Comment

Here is a video of what happens, I will perform the test after dinner.
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejm84hvc06...0dies.mp4?dl=0
                    Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Here is a pic of the instant the TV faults and shuts down from the video.
                      I seem to have lost the ability to edit my posts.
                      Attached Files
                      Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Here is a video of what happens, I will perform the test after dinner.
                        https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejm84hvc06...0dies.mp4?dl=0
                        its look from this video the issue not the panel .. waiting on yours test result i asked before.

Comment

No luck there, I have never seen the optical led light on this set, I pushed a small wire in the door to keep it open, I even tried to disconnect both inputs from the TCON without success. I plugged it back together, and the screen no longer lights. i took the cover from the TCON, and there is no obvious problems, but I noticed there is no heat pad between the cover and "processor" if that is what it is.Is the large chip supposed to have a heat pad?
                          Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Ok, I think the reason why I didn't get the LED was it was still in protection mode, I never exited the ponly mode, I can try again, now that I can turn the TV on with the regular power button, I'll try again
                            Edit:
                            no luck, I never see a led light
                            Last edited by speter; 11-03-2020, 11:28 PM.
                            Goshen NY, USA

Comment

yes this test should be as normal power on and only the 24V disconnected between power boards and t-con.

I even tried to disconnect both inputs from the TCON without success.
                              what do you mean with other both inputs ? LVDS ? please always upload photo to clear what you are doing.

I noticed there is no heat pad between the cover and "processor" if that is what it is.Is the large chip supposed to have a heat pad?
                              this metal cover shield rules not to cool down the IC on T-con. its to protect the boards from external noise magnetic / signal wave..

if the test you did correct and the set didn't stay on. its much like Main boards issue as i mentioned at my post #7.

Comment

When the tv did not stay on with the Power cable removed from the TCON, I disconnected the LVDS cable between the mainboard and TCON also to see if that would work, but no joy.
                                It looks like it may be a main board as you sugested.
                                It could be like this guy, and be not repairable, as the problems look very similar.
                                I really appreciate all your help! Thanks!
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=55ec9300
                                Last edited by speter; 11-04-2020, 01:11 AM.
                                Goshen NY, USA

Comment

please read this threat to the end .. i do encourage you do the test i asked the owner to do at post #22.
                                  Last edited by Diah; 11-04-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Sounds good! I'll try that
                                    Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Sounds good! I'll try that
                                      here the instruction how to let the PSU turned ON with out main boards connected.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I have run the test, the panel lights good on half(rotating r g b colors), and like the video on the other half, so bad panel or tcon
                                        After a while it goes to a white screen with black areas
                                        Last edited by speter; 11-04-2020, 12:11 PM.
                                        Goshen NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                                        X