This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

While with my friend going to another friend's house a couple of days ago, I saw some beige colored items by a dumpster. Went later that night by myself and got a desktop computer with a Duron 750Mhz, 16MB of ram, an old PCI Matrox video card, PCI 10/100 lan card, and a 56k modem, floppy drive, and a 32x10x40 LG CD-RW. All of that in a Deer case with 250w Deer PSU. The Deer PSU actually looks good (all decent components inside and a proper filtering stage). Its only problem is the bulging Rulycons on +5vsb.

There was also this thing with a screen on one side that I didn't take. Later on when I got home that night, I realized that this thing was an osiloscope. I don't know if it was because I was in a hurry or what that I didn't recognize it (didn't want to park the car because my battery was low and didn't want to leave it running too far away from the dumpster). I really regret that I didn't take it. When I went to check if it was there the next day, it wasn't .

Comment

tonight at a neighbors place i was told that the stuff along the drivewat was going to the trash.he cleaned out the garage that was full of mostly trash left by the previous owner.
      going through the pile i found a yaesu ft-101ee,fl2100b and a pair of chevy 348/409 heads.
      the yaesu stuff was in bags and still like new.
      the heads look like they had been rebuilt and left sitting.
      good find and FREE!
      dammit! now i have to find the rest of the stuff to assemble yet another 70's yaesu station.

Comment

Wow! If it has the original Raytheon tubes, you could probably get a mint for them.
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Got a call from a good friend to go "clean up" after Microsoft came to town. We dutifully took out about 30-40 bags of lunch trash and when we were done the head lady asked us to "clean out" the conference room. We shrugged and walked in...stopped dead. My friend asked her what to do with all the machines. She turns around and says "Get rid of them, but we want them destroyed OK?. 16 IBM ThinkPads (T22) 2 X41 tablets, 2 Dell desktops, and a small Dell projector. We hauled to the truck, and then hauled ass. Next time Microsoft came to town, I was vibrating in place to "clean up".
          "Never re-invent the wheel if you can help it"

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Chardon
            Got a call from a good friend to go "clean up" after Microsoft came to town. We dutifully took out about 30-40 bags of lunch trash and when we were done the head lady asked us to "clean out" the conference room. We shrugged and walked in...stopped dead. My friend asked her what to do with all the machines. She turns around and says "Get rid of them, but we want them destroyed OK?. 16 IBM ThinkPads (T22) 2 X41 tablets, 2 Dell desktops, and a small Dell projector. We hauled to the truck, and then hauled ass. Next time Microsoft came to town, I was vibrating in place to "clean up".
            The mother of all the dumpster finds
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
            • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
            • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
            • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050
              2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
              Wow! If it has the original Raytheon tubes, you could probably get a mint for them.
              both units work fine after a slow start on my variac.
              still has the original cetron 572b's from the 70's and they are very low hours.the glass is still clear like new.
              the 101 still has its original toshiba 6js6's.
              i am on 3960 now talking to friends.
              Last edited by kc8adu; 03-16-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Chardon
                Lol, you ruin the fun of posting here .

Comment

That's utter speechless.

T22? That meant few years ago when this happened?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

>>the 101 still has its original toshiba 6js6's.<<

LOL I used to have a 10m 100w linear with those in it. Some piece of thrown together equipment that was, but could it talk! Modded it down to CB band and pumped it thru some Channel Master RG8u to an Avanti 5/8 on the roof (still there ). PEP was up around 140. Bought a new matched pair of Dumonts just to see what I could squeeze out of it... 165!! (they don't last long doing that but it was still neat as hell!) Wheeee! My nephew could hear me in his toaster 1/2 mile away. ROFLMAO
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

want good stuff????? if you have a US Gov't installation close by.....make friends with a tech there and they can hook you up with good stuff.....sorta. Sorta??? I can't give anyone anything, but if I let slip that we're taking a bunch of stuff to the dump (funny how the "federal" gov't would rather throw shit out than sell it).....who's to know?????

the stuff that has left our little facility and gone to the dump.........some of you would cry.
                      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I believe they have to auction off everything to the public or destroy it. At least that's how the municipalities work here.

Comment

our facility just trucks it off to the dump. you should see the stuff that goes out.
                          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I almost got a free Lawn-Boy selfpropelled Gold Series 2 stroke mower two days ago. My neighbor had put it out for bulk trash pickup. Well I figured I'd just go get it after I got back from the store that morning. Came back and a scrap truck was there already and it was loaded on their truck. I offered the guy $20 for it and he said no way.
                            I was talking to Mrs Greene yesterday who is the person who put the thing out for the trash, and she said that it ran perfectly. She didn't like it because it smoked badly all the time. She now has a 4 stroke Briggs POS from WallMart! What she didn't know was that her husband Mr. Don who died last fall always ran twice the amount of two stroke oil over what was recommended by Lawn-Boy. It called for 32:1 and he mixed his fuel 16:1. I run the same kind of mower with a mix of 32:1 using Lawn-Boy oil, and at best you may see a trace of smoke when its cutting real heavy stuff. I wish that I had been the one to get it. Even if the motor turned out to be weak I still have two brand new short blocks from Lawn-Boy for that mower put away in my barn. I had my chance so its my fault that I didn't get it.
                            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                            Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                              I almost got a free Lawn-Boy selfpropelled Gold Series 2 stroke mower two days ago. My neighbor had put it out for bulk trash pickup. Well I figured I'd just go get it after I got back from the store that morning. Came back and a scrap truck was there already and it was loaded on their truck. I offered the guy $20 for it and he said no way.
                              I was talking to Mrs Greene yesterday who is the person who put the thing out for the trash, and she said that it ran perfectly. She didn't like it because it smoked badly all the time. She now has a 4 stroke Briggs POS from WallMart! What she didn't know was that her husband Mr. Don who died last fall always ran twice the amount of two stroke oil over what was recommended by Lawn-Boy. It called for 32:1 and he mixed his fuel 16:1. I run the same kind of mower with a mix of 32:1 using Lawn-Boy oil, and at best you may see a trace of smoke when its cutting real heavy stuff. I wish that I had been the one to get it. Even if the motor turned out to be weak I still have two brand new short blocks from Lawn-Boy for that mower put away in my barn. I had my chance so its my fault that I didn't get it.
                              BRO!
                              Need to think faster!
                              You say: "I'm the owner. When I went out to get gas it was on my lawn. I don't know who moved it over near the trash pile but I suspect it was you. If you'd like I could have you arrested for theft right now. [whip out cell phone.] While you're on your way down town for booking I'll call your boss and explain what happened to him too. That way when they release you from the police station you can head right on over to the unemployment office and save a trip."

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Man YOU teh KING of Scam-Town w00t!
                                "Never re-invent the wheel if you can help it"

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                  That way when they release you from the police station you can head right on over to the unemployment office and save a trip."
                                  Man, if you had done that, the one offering the $20 bucks would be him... PC, you are EVIL
                                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Its so EVIL that its good! I'm going to be using my Lawn-Boy this week too. Lawn looks like a cow pasture. Also have a blown down tree from last year to clean up. Its cut up but I just left it lay. Today is the first day of Spring isn't it? Why haven't I caught any fish yet?
                                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                    Rod Serling

Comment

Man I have no luck with dumpster finds.

Some of your guys get amazing stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                                        Man I have no luck with dumpster finds.

Some of your guys get amazing stuff!
                                        You should look harder
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I work at goodwill, so I essentially get 'dumpster finds' every day. Our boxes (48" x 40" x 36") are all collected in the back, stacked with donated shit. Other employees sort through it, but I constantly go back there and look through any good stuff on a daily basis, cause these employees don't know good computer stuff from absolute shit.

*Oh, I thought you wanted this processor, its big, heavy and looks cool*...Its a Pentium Pro

And then I find a geforce 7800 thrown into a big box for recycling
                                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                          X