VIZIO D60-F3 Wont Power ON, No Standby, No Picture, No Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIZIO D60-F3 Wont Power ON, No Standby, No Picture, No Sound

Damn I cant. I took like 10 pictures of it cant make it out. The poured resin over all the ICs and I think it absorbs some of the printing on there.

Comment

sorry I repeated reply
      Last edited by rebelkustoms; 10-31-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Whats the best way to test D201 for a short. Im sorry I dont think I have ever tested one of these. Great time to learn I guess.

Comment

The diode is just two diodes with common anode. just use diode test on the meter. On the top of the board it is marked like a fet but it isn't, so G & S are the anode and the D is the cathode. and it is likely a schottky diode so will read around 0.2xx or 0.3xx
          As for the IC, you can use some alcohol to remove the resin, that sometimes works.
          Last edited by R_J; 10-31-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yea it is reading .273 both ways

Comment

Originally posted by rebelkustoms View Post
              Yea it is reading .273 both ways
              When you say both ways I suspect you mean both diodes, not the reading across on diode and then reversing the probes.
              You could try replacing C111 and the cap near D3, without the ic's number it's hard to know if the voltages on it are ok. The vcc seems to be ok and the ic should be pulsing the Q1 mosfet which drives the transformer.
              You could check if R13 is ok, it is likely a low ohm resistor, .3Ω ~ 1Ω
              Last edited by R_J; 10-31-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                When you say both ways I suspect you mean both diodes, not the reading across on diode and then reversing the probes.
                You could try replacing C111 and the cap near D3, without the ic's number it's hard to know if the voltages on it are ok. The vcc seems to be ok and the ic should be pulsing the Q1 mosfet which drives the transformer.
                You could check if R13 is ok, it is likely a low ohm resistor, .3Ω ~ 1Ω
                As far as testing that Diode. I am keeping the Black lead on the center pin and testing each other leg. each leg is reading.277 with the black lead on the center.

R13 is reading .3 I will see if I can get this thick resin off of the IC and try to get a #

Comment

I took out the C111 cap and the other one, put them on my ESR Meter. they are 22uf 50v and they are reading 0.6. SO I assume they are good.

Comment

I just soldered in the C9 and C111 caps that I took out and tested with the ESR and I plugged in the board without the load to test the pins and the C205 Cap Failed and popped. For what reason I dont know but here is a photo.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I suspect that C205 was bad, as in shorted and that is what was killing the voltage, If it was caused by anything else I suspect C203 & C204 would also have blown. Remove C205 from the circuit and monitor the +16VS voltage on CN201, I suspect the voltage will now be there. The board will operate without C205 installed for testing

The fact the cap blew would suggest there is voltage now getting to it and I bet the power supply is working.
                      Last edited by R_J; 11-01-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Damn, still not getting voltage on any of the pins at CN201 with C205 removed
                        Last edited by rebelkustoms; 11-01-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

It is strange that you removed and re-installed C9 and C111 which at that point the power supply starts running again but then C205 blew up.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yes I thought the same thing. Was wondering if there was maybe a cold solder joint there and it reconnected when I soldered c9 and c111 back in. But I am not sure why 205 popped. I thought of just recapping all these but not sure if I have another problem or short happening here?

Comment

Probably not but make sure you didn't accidentally put one of the re-soldered caps in backwards.

Comment

Yes I thought the same thing. Was wondering if there was maybe a cold solder joint there and it reconnected when I soldered c9 and c111 back in. But I am not sure why 205 popped. I thought of just recapping all these but not sure if I have another problem or short happening here?
                                Resolder all the connections on that transformer, you don't need to start replacing a bunch of parts for nothing, this circuit needs to function first, It must be close to working if it blew the cap. They don't blow like this unless there is a voltage on them. If you look at the board you will see that all 3 caps are in parallel , so how did just one blow?

It could be that C9 & C111 are NFG. and the heat from soldering cause them to work, Replace them or re-heat the two caps with the tip of the soldering iron, then try the power supply again.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by R_J; 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I just soldered in the C9 and C111 caps that I took out and tested with the ESR and I plugged in the board without the load to test the pins and the C205 Cap Failed and popped. For what reason I dont know but here is a photo.
                                  Check that the white line running along the capacitor has its nearest pin connected to the negative pad "-"
                                  Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I found the reason the cap blew, dumb mistake on my part, there are 2 different value caps right in that area and when i took them out to test I accidentally swapped spots, so the cap that blew was in the wrong spot and got damaged. My mistake.

I had to order a new cap so I just spent 5 bucks and got new nichion caps for the C9 and C111 spots and ALL the caps down the connector side of the board. With those in and the Transformers resoldered I am still getting 0V on all the pins. No Standby or anything.

Comment

C205 appears to go to U201 which may have been damaged when the capacitor vented.
                                      Edit
                                      Ignore since it looks like it's the 0V leg that goes to U201.
                                      I would trace the 16V from the connector CN201 back to the rectifying diodes and see if they were damaged.
                                      Last edited by dick_barton; 11-08-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

The reason C205 blew was because it was in backwards. And there WAS voltage (wrong polarity) across that cap for it to blow up.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by R_J; 11-08-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

So what is the current state of the power supply after the capacitors being replaced. Are any of the dc output voltages correct?

Comment

Working...
                                          X