Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro A2159 No Power after new Display

HI All

I have a Mac Book Pro A2159 with a broken screen, its been replaced with a new one, however the mac will not power on.... Before the screen was replaced the mac was working with an external monitor, and the touch bar would light up as normal

Since the repair, nothing, dead. The power button does nothing, the touchbar does not light up to indicate any power.

it makes no difference if power is connected or just battery or power but no battery

I have downloaded the schematic from one of the threads here, but at a bit of a loss at the moment, I have noticed the area around and component C6907 are warn when on battery with out anything on the screen ...

the voltage across this is 12.4v

any suggestions on things to try / test ?

TIA

Re: MacBook Pro A2159 No Power after new Display

Have you re-connected the damaged screen to the motherboard to see if the device will at least power on?

The Apple T2 security chip on the motherboard might prevent replacement parts from being used, especially if they weren't bought from an authorised Apple reseller, but I have also read that people have been replacing the displays on these devices without issue (we used to replace them at my old workplace, but they were an authorised Apple service centre at the time with access to genuine parts).

With this in mind, it is possible that you may have received a faulty part from your supplier.

If you test your damaged screen and the device works, then that suggests the new display may be at fault and you should contact your supplier for a replacement.

Comment

Thanks, i've put the damaged screen back in and still no power

maybe i shorted something while installing ? battery was disconnected thou

ill have to try an work my way through the schematic.

Any pointers on test points to begin with ?

Thanks

Comment

Hi. Have not reviewed the schematics yet but is this type C power supply?

Assuming yes. Do you have an in-line type c meter to review the voltage and current draw of the macbook?

It should be 20v if working correctly. This is only after proper usb handshake over the CC lines takes place.

Respectively, review the output of u7000 in the schematic which generates the main power rail for the motherboard and battery charger voltage.

Assuming that u7000 is the ISL9240?

Are you using the official power supply? For safety, you should.

If you have more than one usb port, check the others to power the macbook.

Comment

I have just been doing some testing, and was about to report some voltages etc, I will have a look at the U7000 later.

It has 2 x USB 3 ports ive tried both of them and just battery and just power supply, It is the original genuine one

I measured the following:
          PP20V_USBC_XB_VBUS = 20.29V
          PPDCIN = 20.28V
          PPBUS_G3H = 12.22v
          PP3v3_G3H = 3.291V
          PP1v8_SLPS2R = 1.801V
          PP3V_G3H_RTC = 3.3V
          PP5V_G3S = 0 V

I am unable to find 5v supply. It maybe this is because it is not powered unless system is on, Im trying to work my way around the schematic but i'm more on the novice end of the scale so its taking some time.

I guess i need to work out where the 5V is generated, and what if anything causes it to generate or not. or should it always be present.

Comment

I've measured the voltages of the following on U7000 :

PPVBat_G3H_CHGR_REG = 12.22V

On the U7100:
            PPVIN_S0_CPUVR_VIN = 12.22V
            PP5V_COREVR_VCC = 0 ( Should be 5.3v? but not sure what is the trigger for this to be active )

I've measure the following too:
            PP1V8_SLPS3R_PMUGPIO = 1.8V
            PP1V1_SLPS2R = 1.1V
            PP0V82_SLPDDR = 0.8V
            PP3V3_AWAKE = 3.29V
            PP0V9_SLPDDR = 0.9V

My only concern is
            PP0V8_SLPS2R = 0V. IS this a standard always present voltage or one thats triggered ?
            Is my PPBUS @12.22 low ? Ive read it should be around 12.6V but cant confirm in the schematics.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Comment

Working...
            X