This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

...And Justice For All should sound fine then. Mids and highs, check. No bass, check. No bass guitar, check.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
      ...And Justice For All should sound fine then. Mids and highs, check. No bass, check. No bass guitar, check.
      You won't hear the kick drum through such small speakers. It's such a low frequency that large speakers are required to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
        Then dubstep made by skrillex will have to be played through it. Because thats the bass man's way!
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I got a free Verismo 580

After a long, complicated warranty issue with mine, they just sent me another. I haven't taken it out of the box since I'd rather gift or sell that one as it's not like mine doesn't work - it works fine the problem has resolved itself. I guess it didn't want to be replaced.
          Last edited by shovenose; 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Or in other words... it sounds good with classical music because it is only able to reproduce mids and highs. I'm sure it lacks bass (I mean, how can anyone sane expect the tiny speaker cones in this to make ANY decent bass). So yeah... great score if you get it for free like you did! Not so much if you had to pay anything more than $10 for it (I wouldn't).
            believe me from `97 i practice dj-ing and only 3 brands has manage to bend me over and make me say wow sennheiser hk and bose.
            bose because those Tiny smuchs speakers can give a suuuper awesome sound.
            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Never used any Cerwin Vega speakers? I cracked windows in my house with Cerwin 12 inch woofers. I then switched to Bose that turned out to be gutless slugs. Now I'm using Polk 10 speakers. These are better that the Bose but they still couldn't match a Cerwin Vega.
              Last edited by Junk Parts; 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM.
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Scored a working w/toner Laserjet 4l for $3.50 yesterday. Almost as old as me (6 mo younger) but it printed a test page w/o issues.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Scored a working w/toner Laserjet 4l for $3.50 yesterday. Almost as old as me (6 mo younger) but it printed a test page w/o issues.
                  I had the 4P, which is its big brother. You couldn't stop that thing!!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I had the 4P, which is its big brother. You couldn't stop that thing!!
                    Or find that. I wanted a nice one. But this will do too.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have a 5M, network, duplexer and extra drawers. Its a workhorse. I got it to replace my fleet of lexmark optra L and Rs. The optras were faster, and i had 2500 sheet elevators for them (i miss being able to load 5 reams), but they broke a LOT. They stopped making parts for them, so i ended up trashing them.

I havent had to fix a single thing with the HP.

Good find.

Comment

I still have a Laserjet 4000 here with a JetDirect card added in (Not a stock 4000n). It does need the rollers and separation pads replaced and possibly a new fuser.

I haven't put much work into it yet as I have a Brother HL-5140 that I got for free with a new toner cartridge in it that I've been using, even speaks PCL.

Meanwhile I found these by a dumpster the other night. Interestingly I already have the same motherboard but in black rather than blue. Has an Athlon X2 5000+, 2 gigs of ram and nothing special other than that.

Also found this monitor. Color is a lot better than in the picture, it's just my flash that gives the crap color effect. 20" 1680x1050 resolution with DVI inputs. Being Acer I was expecting 1280x800 or something stupid like that.

I rebuilt it last night in a different case, replacing an S462 board.
                        Last edited by Compgeke; 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                          I would keep it. APC ups are the best and definitely worth repairing/keeping.
                          Depends, some are PoS.

Well, not really a dumpster find, but I got Chieftec CFT-1200G-DF for 2 bucks with bloated caps. It came without cables and cover with the large fan, but I can make cables (8pin PCIe connectors on the PSU itself are just EPS connectors ) and I can sell it to a guy who can make the cover himself for like 125-150 bucks
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

IBM Model M mechanical keyboard.

Comment

Congrats, I use almost exclusively Model Ms with my one random Desko airport terminal keyboard. One thing for sure is you'll have a hard time killing it from just typing :P.

Comment

This isn't a dumpster find ether. It also not a computer but it has some kind of computer in it. This would be the 2004 Honda Civic that my father left to me. You see I had a 1984 Prelude way back when. It was a tuff slmost unbreakable little car. This 2004 Civic is nothing like the Prelude at all. I beat the living shit out of the Prelude and it always came back for more. I drive the Civic very gently and its falling apart on its own. The cloth is falling off the door pannels. The new timing belt took a shit on me. Its been sitting in my backyard most of the winter with the engine torn apart. When the belt tensioner went bad the valves didn't kiss the pistons thank heaven. I hope to have it back together in the next day or so. So its like this...Older Honda's are great. The newer ones not so great at all. This Civic was built in Maryville Ohio I think. Its a POS too! I need more drugs! Be Happy!
                                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                Rod Serling

Comment

My greatest dumpster finds:
                                  - Athlon II X4 640 processor w/ MSI motherboard from a Medion Akoya PC
                                  - Asus P5Q SE motherboard
                                  - Sony KDL-32EX302 LCD TV (the only thing wrong with it was a blown fuse)
                                  - IBM PS/1 computer
                                  - Sound Blaster X-Fi w/ front panel

...and much more

Comment

I got a 19" Viewsonic VX-1940w for free on Craigslist last week because it was broken. Two caps later, it was working like new again. I used used caps, though. TFT is made by ChiMei, so I didn't care too much about it. Indeed the colors and vertical viewing angle are horrible just like the 26" Westinghouse I got for $10.

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                                    Never used any Cerwin Vega speakers?
                                    That's what my dad says too everytime anyone starts a conversation about speakers.

We saw a big set once at a Church/community sale, but my mom said no way, too big for the house. They were being sold cheap too!

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                    Scored a working w/toner Laserjet 4l for $3.50 yesterday.
                                    Nice! Keep those old HP printers. They are unstoppable! My LJ 2100 has only 30k pages on the count, which is nothing. The place where I used to intern at has quite a few of them sitting in storage doing nothing (most likely will be scrapped, but due to my boss not having much time, that's been getting delayed for many years now). I might ask what they want to do with them and perhaps try to sell them for the company. They are just too good to be scrapped! Most even come with new spare toner too.

Originally posted by Compgeke
                                    I rebuilt it last night in a different case, replacing an S462 board.
                                    I see you replaced that Athena power supply too... - good riddance!
                                    ISO's are decent CWT units, but if it's never been recapped, I suggest you crack it open and possibly even recap it. They often use Fuhjyyu caps.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I want a laser printer so badly. I got a HP Color LaserJet 2550L for free, it has not empty toners, but it prints white pages... I think the drum is faulty but I can't say for sure, I know nothing about laser printers, except that they don't fail like the inkjets. I came to a point I hate inkjet printers... They always have problems when you need to print something urgently.

Comment

Well, I have a brother 5140 I use at work. Works great, reliable even though it's used a lot, I'm not careful with it, and an entire bottle of windex fell into it.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                          I want a laser printer so badly. I got a HP Color LaserJet 2550L for free, it has not empty toners, but it prints white pages... I think the drum is faulty but I can't say for sure, I know nothing about laser printers
                                          Best course of action might be to sell it for parts and use the money to buy a working laser printer
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X