Buffalo vs TP-Link for 16 port switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo vs TP-Link for 16 port switch

I'm going to be moving into a new house with several friends, and I'm in charge of overhauling the (non)existing network setup. Currently it's simply the Time Warner provided modem with built in wireless. In a 115 year old home, it is completely inadequate in every way.

I am bringing in my pfsense router/firewall, and TP-Link Archer C5 AP with 9dbi antennas. But in the process, we are going to need a 16 port switch to handle all the wired devices. I have narrowed it down to either the below Buffalo switch, or the following TP-Link one. The Buffalo is unmanaged, the TP-Link non-rackmount is a "smart managed switch". I don't really care much about the smart aspect, a dumb switch would be fine here.

For the price difference, is there any reason to go with the TP-link over the Buffalo?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Re: Buffalo vs TP-Link for 16 port switch

In our place (with 14 network ports wired in during construction - the study has four ports, with the living room, home theatre room and two bedrooms have two ports each, along with the master bedroom and garage having only one), we use a 16-port unmanaged Gigabit switch with the wireless router (DHCP server) assigning the LAN IP addresses.
    Note that one of the ports on the network switch is used for connection to the wireless router.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Re: Buffalo vs TP-Link for 16 port switch

the tp-link is probably worth the extra for the cable diagnostics feature.

Comment

Working...
      X