Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet over fiber

Hi
    I bought a nice gigabit router with 2 fiber ports, the respective transceivers , 10mts of LCLC cable and some pci-e emulex LPE1150

now, the catch , its the first time that i touch fiber stuff, in my grunt mind it should appear a new nic on windows and boosting my lan and file transfer to 2gb but it doesnt

appear a HBA port no NIC, anyone have some experience on this field before i go swimming on pdfs and datasheets ?

Re: Ethernet over fiber

Originally posted by rs232killer View Post
    Hi
    I bought a nice gigabit router with 2 fiber ports, the respective transceivers , 10mts of LCLC cable and some pci-e emulex LPE1150

now, the catch , its the first time that i touch fiber stuff, in my grunt mind it should appear a new nic on windows and boosting my lan and file transfer to 2gb but it doesnt

appear a HBA port no NIC, anyone have some experience on this field before i go swimming on pdfs and datasheets ?
    of course it should show up in windows as another nic... does it not?

how are you testing throughput?

Comment

Hi , nop , no new nic card just some Emulex lightpulse HBA- Storport

ty for your quick response

Comment

the switch show on the manage panel link down, this emulex have bios config, going to reset to default now.

Comment

Hi , nop , no new nic card just some Emulex lightpulse HBA- Storport

ty for your quick response
          in device manager?

Comment

wait a minute... i think the card you ordered is for storage, not networking.

HBA and NIC are not the same.
            Last edited by shovenose; 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

rrrr some pic from device manager

but probably your are 100% right

i have 3 nice cards to trash xd
              Attached Files

Comment

What about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-1...cAAOSwFqJWsPch
                Last edited by shovenose; 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

ouch a bit expensive for home fun

Comment

ouch a bit expensive for home fun
                    I changed link, it's $18 now, hopefully a bit more reasonable

Comment

much more but still missing shipping costs to Portugal

that card appears as a nic ?

Comment

much more but still missing shipping costs to Portugal

that card appears as a nic ?
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-MEL...3D131634470127

This is another seller in the USA with teh same item (just 2 pack) maybe they offer shipping to Portugal?

My friend who does fiber stuff for a living says that card is NIC not HBA.

Comment

now i know hard way, well must order NIC plain and simple and run from CNAs HBA and all that

Comment

what's the router make/model?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              what's the router make/model?
                              gsw-2494

Comment

That's a layer 2 managed switch not a router.
                                What transceivers have you got ?

It's doubtful you will see much of a speed difference between the fibre and the gigabit ethernet ports.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                  That's a layer 2 managed switch not a router.
                                  What transceivers have you got ?

It's doubtful you will see much of a speed difference between the fibre and the gigabit ethernet ports.

Avago AFBR-57R6APZ EMC 4.25Gbps 4Gb Fibre Optic SW 850nm SFP Transceiver Agilent

well its more fetiche than results if you know what i mean

Comment

Like other people said, that's a switch, not a router.

Also, you should mess with fiber only if you're going to go to 10gbps or if you need to connect the switch to something further away than the maximum of 105 meters.
                                    The two SFP ports (shared with rj45 ports 23 and 24) only support 1 gbps according to the manual so why bother with fiber?

The router supports port trunking so you can buy an Intel 4 port network card or a couple of 2 port network cards and use 4 regular cat5e cables between your computer and the switch to go up to 4 gbps.
                                    Here's examples of such cards:
                                    1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pro-10...kAAOSwZG9Wio6K
                                    2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Quad-P...8AAOSwll1WvMAs
                                    3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-INTEL-PR...sAAOSw3ydV3fmo

Lots of dual or quad port network cards here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...00+pt&_sacat=0

But anyways... you'll basically have 4gbps between the computer and the switch, from switch to your internet router/cable modem you'd still have 100mbps or 1gbps.

If you want strictly for lan transfers, you would have 2-4gbps (depending on what card you use) between you and the switch, but the other computers would still be limited to 1gbps, unless you buy new cards for the other computers as well (and configure port trunking for each computer).. second hand cards are cheap on eBay so I'd say go for it.

If you manage to do the trunking, i suspect you'd still have a bit of a hard time reaching 4gbps between two computers - you may have to increase read and write buffers on the network cards to the maximum, number of buffers raised to the number of your processor's cores, configure jumbo frames on your network card AND the router AND the other computer to the maximum size so that data packets will be larger than the default ones and then as long as the hard drives manage and your processor is fast enough, you'd have up to 2-4gbps

It's been a long time since I researched this, but you may not even need to do port trunking to get more than 1gbps... I've seen some videos on LinusTechTips about using SMB 3 to aggregate links transparently

Here's a couple of videos they have (at a very brief search through their list) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4
                                    Quadruple Your Network Speed for $100 with SMB 3.0 Multichannel!

... the older ncix video he mentions at the start of the video above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbq...&feature=cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03t890dKTU
                                    10 Gigabit Networking - I wanna go fast. Really, really fast. <-- but the card themselves are still expensive, even from eBay
                                    Last edited by mariushm; 02-17-2016, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Here's the manual for your switch.
                                      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d5cebb8817.pdf
                                      It shows support for 1Gbps SFP transceivers.
                                      Have you tried yours in the switch to see if it's recognised ?

Comment

Hi
                                        i thought it was 2gb ... so it wouldnt be faster than my gigabit connection

mariushm , will review the info that you posted , it seams a good option those quad channel or 10gbs fiber...

diif, its reconize the transceivers but @ 1gb wich now i see its normal
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X