so-dimm 16gb dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so-dimm 16gb dead

hi all, yesterday i keep my notebook on in the night for a data recovery. in the morning i moved the mouse but notebook was dead. after a force shutdown.. it wont turn on, keeping a on off cycle every 1 second. it power on and shut off after 1 second. i opened it and check the ram and noticed one slot on mainboard was not working fine so i checked cpu but all seems ok. tried again and this time with one bank only pc was on but no video and power off after 30 seconds. i checked also vga but nothing suspicius. after some more ram testing i see that with the other bank i removed before pc was booting from both slot so one bank is dead.

its a G.Skill Ripjaws SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4-2666Mhz.

is there a way to make it working again as i got it second hand 2 years ago and cant find an invoice for a warranty.

Re: so-dimm 16gb dead

It could be a corrupt SPD
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

with both bank pc power off immediately.. with the damaged bank it stay on for 30-40 seconds and then power off... for a bad spd it could be fixed ?

Comment

Check the RAM for shorts first.The SPD can be copied from the good one and written to the bad one,backup and compare with a hex editor for any differences.
        Attached Files
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

i did some check and ram has apparently no short. all resistor near chip measure 240omh like they sould. spd chip is gt82638

the only programmer i have is sofi sp8-A with spi support (i need i2c for that ?)

i have done spd dump of working ram, but now i dunno how to flash to the non working.

or i order that socket like in your picture, or i can solder that 8 wire and give it a try

edit: if i setup bios in manual ram setting instead of spd... i would be able to boot with both ram and flash my dump i have to the non working ram with some windows application ?
          Last edited by dellxps15; 09-16-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Maybe , using Typhoon burner.The free version won`t do it though.

Comment

You indeed need an I2C programmer. Even if I don't recommend it, CH341A should be able to do it…

SPD is still used to detect memory layout which you cannot set manually in the BIOS (at least I've never seen that). And BIOS also rarely allow you to set all timings manually.
              I think it's unlikely that it got corrupted but you never know… otherwise it's just a failing RAM chip.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

i wint to bios, i had default profile with all value as ram desired value. changed it tu custom and saved bios setting. i had also 2 xmps (or how they were named ) but al lvalues were 0. i tried boot with both bank but no boot and pc power off after 30-40 seconds. i think as u said that bios need spd to read value by itself, even if in my overclocked custom laptop i can setup them manually.

my sofi sp8 should support i2c as it support some deviced with it, but dunno how to use it and dunno ic pinout gt should stay for giantec but no 82638 device both on internet and on database (must be some other code).

ive done some research and i should just solder 4 pin; vcc, gnd, sda, scl

edit: on some other ram i have is61b 103 chip, and still cant find it so the code on chip must be different from real chip code.
                Last edited by dellxps15; 09-16-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I don't know what's on your RAM stick, but in general it's a 24-series I2C ROM within a TSSOP8 package or something similar. Pinout is the same on all of them.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

ok i ordered arduino and according to another i2c spd rom like here https://fscdn.rohm.com/en/products/d...e02fvt-3-e.pdf

i need pin 4,5,6,8 to solder right ?

Comment

Possibly a 34C02 or 34C0? .Your sofi supports the C02 . Does it have auto-detect ?

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...a410688e3f.pdf yes, pins 4,5,6,8
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-16-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

yes it has autodetect ill try tomorrow to read the eeprom. i have also other module ddr3 with other chip to try to read and maybe use to replace my dimm

tnx for the support. ill update u tomorrow

Comment

After some more searching i found the the gt82638 is a GT34TS04 . Its not supported by sofi,or by the normal CH341A software.NeoProgrammer for the CH341A does have support for a few 34C chips though. I don`t know if you`ll be able to select one of those.

Part Marking of SPD EEPROM devices in DFN package - http://www.softnology.biz/tips_dfnchips.html

NeoProgrammer - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1599328542

Comment

tnx very much for the research. tomorrow ill get arduino and ill see if i can program the chip with it. i have some 34c02 but different socket type

Comment

Working...
                            X