Dell 2007FPB teardown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2007FPB teardown

Is not only the help, but the opportunity to learn something for me.. (whitout reading big, difficult, not clear and expensive guides fo electronics)

Comment

you are right,its amazing what this web can do for people now,i am retired living in mexico,and you are all the way in italy bringing an oportunity for me to learn something else.i had a co-worker,very good friend of mine,called frank zukiki,he was italian,i think from sicili,he is also retired,i dont know if he went back to italy.
      anyway,are the other pins on this transformers supposed to read a short? like pin 2 to 7 and 3 to 6? i guess i unsolder the transformer to see if its something else on this pins that make it look like shorted.

Comment

using this and the other information posted elsewhere in the forum i was able to fix one of these monitors. Specifically the information posted above by ac21.

Symptoms:
        After moving monitor to another desk, it started restarting itself randomly. The frequency increased over a afternoon until the monitor would not stay on long enough to be usable as a second screen.

Diagnosis
        I took the monitor apart and looked for obvious damage and bad caps. Found none. Looked for the 19V and the all important 3.3V rail created by the USB board. I found that when the monitor restarted this rail dropped to near 0V. I checked the diodes and generally poked around. After reading ac21's experience and a few other posts on the forum, i decided to peal back the glue above the set of surface mount resistors. I checked the one marked 272 and found it to be a open circuit.

Fix:
        I replaced the resistor marked 272 with the nearest value i had around (2.1k) and the monitor works flawlessly again.

I hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by ac21 View Post
          I had a 2007wpb that wouldn't turn on at all unless i let it sit plugged in for a few hours..then it would turn on long enough for the "no signal message to come on" then die again it would repeat this randomly.

After reading kalmara's post i checked the row of resisters under the "white blob of dielectric" on the usb board .. the first one is a 2.7k (printed on it 272) i first jumped a resister of unknown value across it and the monitor started working. then i desoldered the SMD and soldered in a regular 2.2k resister and put it back together ..everything is working great so far.

I read a bunch of post here and there but couldn't figure it out so i made this post so people in the same situation can do the same but maybe you should replace it with the right resister

here are some pictures of the location on the resister thanks to budm.

Same problem here, Thanks for posting it

Comment

Thanks very much.

I had a monitor that would not switch on. After changing all the caps on the power board I found this thread and the faulty resistor. I ripped apart a faulty surge arrestor to scavenge parts and stole a 2.2K surface mount, soldered it in place of the faulty one identified in the post. I now have a working monitor!

Luckily I have two of these monitors so i was at least able to narrow it to the board in this thread but only after i'd changed all the power board caps! Oh well at least its fixed now. I should have searched more as i doubt the caps were faulty as they all looked good.

THANKS !!!!!!

Comment

A feedback from MR. KALMARA was best
              and i am able to make one monitor working

regards
              thank you sir

Comment

Hi,

Can i connect 19v from a external power source to check the USB board(5EL2J08001 USB/DC Converter board)

If i can connect means what should be the Volt have to come ?

Comment

Rasystems - please start a new thread - this thread is meant to be for
                  reference only
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

ok thansks....

Comment

Sorry if it's bad form to drag out an old thread. I just feel compelled to add another success story to the list and a huge thanks to ac21 and budm.

I picked up a 2007fpb a few weeks ago for $10. After getting it home and hooking it up, it was exhibiting random restarts and shutdowns. There would be sporadic periods that it would remain fine for upwards of 1hr, but then it would revert back to rapid series of restarts, basically rendering the monitor unusable. I didn't have time then to investigate so I put the monitor aside until just recently. By this point, it was completely dead and no longer powered on.

I've done a few "repairs" in the past where I had replaced failed electrolytic capacitors in other monitors/electronic devices. These were always easy to spot and replace. But the complexity of this 2007fpb is on a completely different level and frankly was overwhelming. I read through several forums and threads and was intimidated by the sheer number of probable issues and related components. Moreover, the sad truth is my skill level and soldering iron are not adequate for the newer, smaller, denser surface mount components. So the idea of having to tinker with so many of these tiny delicate components made the task seem impossible.

However, finding this thread was a huge boon. The pics from budm are an excellent reference. The key discovery though was the 2.7k ohm resistor under the "dielectric" glue on the usb board. Confirmation from other users that it was the cause of their issues gave me hope -- a chance of needing just one single "repair" to get my monitor working correctly. Sure enough, the suspected resistor was dead when I uncovered and tested it. Now I just had to replace it. But this was still a problem as I didn't have any replacement nor did I have any realistic chance of desoldering/resoldering SMDs anyway... Undeterred, I ended up jumping two through-hole resistors in series onto the existing surface mount resistor. No, I didn't even bother to remove the old one. I had to use two in series b/c I didn't have any single resistors at or near 2.7k ohms.

Amazingly... it all worked! The monitor works perfectly now.

Again, a huge thanks to ac21, budm, and the entire badcaps board. I hope others are able to use this thread to revive their own 2007fp monitors. Such an amazing monitor for $10. If these issues are as common as they seem, it would be such a waste for these monitors to be discarded due to such a trivial issue.

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience. I was able to fix a 2007 FPb just now using this resistor replacement technique.

Thanks again

Mike

Comment

اشكركم جميعا

Comment

Re: Dell 2007FPB teardown part 2 pictures

Originally posted by budm View Post
                            More pictures.
                            Thanks very helpful.

Comment

HI FRIENDS!!

I'd like to mention that replacing the 272 resister with another 2.7K worked a treat. I can now check sites!

I wonder if there was a bad batch of resisters or maybe a cold solder joint? I spoke with a friend who has much more electronics knowledge and he mentioned that he rarely sees resisters fail, and when they do they usually burn up.

Thanks to all who did the grunt work on this!

Comment

Another fix changing the resistor under the white glue. My second monitor failed in the same way as the first. So now they have both had the same fix about 3 months apart.

AC21 you're a real star ! Thanks also to KALMARA.

So if you're not working. First place to look is under that glue. 2 for 2......

Comment

Hello to everyone, i'm new in this forum and have a dell 2007fpb that will not power on, i've used for 3 years without problam, a day...died.
                                  I've opened it and have the 4 boards blacklight, power supply, control board and 12v board.
                                  For check the PSU voltage where i have to test voltage and between what pins?

Comment

iw4egx please start a new thread - this thread is meant to be for
                                    reference only
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I also want to thank everyone here who troubleshooted the Dell 2007fpb power problem and about the solution with the resistor 2.7k fix. Worked like a charm for me!

Comment

Got a problem too with these. The owner plugged the speaker bar into runnign display, boom and monitor was not turning on since. He tried another one, plugged while off, turned on and the same.

I opened one, the 3A fuse was burned. Replaced it and I got image with +3.3 and +5 V rails, but the +12 V feeding the speaker is not there. Transistor is not shorted, however, it has 19 V on both source and gate, also there is 19 V on those small SMD transistors nearby the side USB connectors. Should I try to replace the FET or something else?

Speaker does not seem to be bad however, I hooked it to old AT supply and it seems to be working normally, drawing like 0.01 A while playing nothing.
                                        Last edited by Behemot; 05-07-2015, 07:21 AM.
                                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Ping? Any idea?
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X