asus vivobook x541uv dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asus vivobook x541uv dead

hi all, i got this notebook some times ago. synthom was notebook being completely dead. after some search for common problem, i see ite chip possible need programming, so i made some measurement and after see 0volt on power botton, i got a ite sio programmer, but was not able to see the chip by programmer. after that i ordered a new ite 8995 and this time when i plug power to notebook my programmer software see the ite chip and i started programming it, but after 40% all was almost dead. i try repeat the programming another time, but this time it stop at 20%. i tried another time and this time chip was not recognized annymore. so i inspected the motherboard and i see 3.3 and 5 volt chip getting hot.... i ordered a new rt8249c chip, and after solder it situation was the same ... rt8249c being hot. i inspected and found 3.3 rail shorted. after remove coil, if i inject 2 or 3 volt ... i see cpu getting hot....

cpu got broken? what's your opinion? how could that cpu go wrong without touching anything in the notebook ?

edit: after isolating the shorted pjp point on 3.3 rail, rt8249c get hot. im supposing that ite chip is the problem..... probably went wrong for no reason. ill try another chip next week.
    Last edited by dellxps15; 06-25-2020, 05:46 AM.

Re: asus vivobook x541uv dead

cpu got broken

Comment

u think problem is cpu? because fro mrepair guide i see ec is connected to ec.... so maybe a bad ec can get that 3.3 volt to cpu?

Comment

Remove ITE8995, clean the pads and then apply power to check if RT8249C is still getting hot. Do take resistance on all pins of RT8249C before and after removing ITE chip and compare.Dont waste another kbc without being sure.

Comment

If PCH (small die on CPU package) gets hot when injecting on 3.3V rail, it's dead.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

today i looked for the short and found one mosfet on 3.3 volt rail ( the one that is connected to gnd) shorted. ill get a replacement in the next weeks and give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
              If PCH (small die on CPU package) gets hot when injecting on 3.3V rail, it's dead.
              ok bios pin 8 was shorted and pch get hot.... without doing anything to the board ( was just flashing the ec) the pc died.

any suggestion? the cpu is sr2nr i5-6198DU but i found it for 112€ and wont spent that much on a cpu with a board that doesnt have a proper schematic and have multiple problem like bad ec, some bad mosfet unless im able to get cpu and pch for less then 40€ .. for that money i could give it a try.

any suggestion? flag it as not worth the repair and sell other component for spare or can still get it working for cheap price ?

Comment

At that point it makes more sense to replace the whole board, but even then it may not be profitable. Also those CPU are pretty hard to replace and market is filled with junk.
                Better sell the laptop for parts or keep it for spares.
                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                X