Upgrading chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading chipset

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right sub-forum. Also, please excuse my lack of knowledge on this issue.

Is it possible to upgrade the chipset of a laptop? I have an asus GL552JX that has a faulty chipset (SR17E - BD82HM86). My initial replacement part was faulty and I am still waiting to receive a new replacement (due to pandemic it is taking forever :/)

I do however have a donor board with an SR17D - BD82HM87 chipset. Is it possible to use the SR17D as a replacement for the SR17E? If yes, what other processes will be required? (I do reckon BIOS will need to be edited, etc).

Re: Upgrading chipset

i think It's possibble. I have replaced hm65 with hm67 it was running well without upgrading bios

Comment

That's encouraging, thanks. I'll give it a shot

Comment

Update:
        No luck unfortunately. Laptop turns on as soon as power is plugged in but no image (even after multiple boot cycles). Tried clean ME bios but issue still same. I guess I will have to wait for the replacement chipset for this fix :/

Comment

What was the motherboard that you took the SR17D from
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

From an HP I believe.

Motherboard reference:
            Rampage_MB
            12241-1
            48.4YW03.011

Would it help if I post its BIOS dump?

Comment

No don`t post the dump.
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

OK. Any advise regarding the above mentioned issue/attempt? Or is the SR17D simply not a compatible replacement for the SR17E?

Comment

Bump. Any suggestion anyone?

Comment

Some Russian forums say it worked on some machine. Of course on yours there could always be something different making it not compatible. Are you sure the replacement went well and there's no other issue?
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Replacement went smoothly from reball to reflow. Referring to https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84282 there has actually been an improvement as I now have healthy BIOS signal. I guess we will find out when I receive another SR17E replacement (and hoping its good).

Comment

maybe ec or bios has some code to comunicate with pch ?

Comment

Both were replaced and reprogrammed. It could also be that the BIOS need tweaking but I have no idea what/how.

Comment

did u try a bios and ec for some hp model with that chipset ?
                            Last edited by dellxps15; 09-24-2020, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X