HP Probook 455 G1 paperweight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Probook 455 G1 paperweight

Hello, thanks for letting me into the fold.

At work I have been volunteered to look after the laptops we use as diagnostic platforms for various motor vehicles, one of which is an HP Probook 455 G1.
    Whilst updating the software, the HP update centre thingy said there was also a BIOS update required. I set this going but when I next looked, the screen was black and the white power light next to the power in jack was flashing (steady flash every half a second or so). I left it for a bit to see if it was just still updating but it never recovered.
    Assuming it was a corrupted BIOS I have tried all the usual tricks (battery/power out, hold power on, connect power, press windows + V/B, USB bios recovery etc.) and I spoke to HP who said it sounded like a corrupt BIOS and it would need a new board at £350 odd. I have even tried using a CH341A programmer but I can't get the new BIOS (downloaded from this site and others) to verify properly and the fault persists.
    I would like to ask if anybody here has a working knowledge of this particular mobo and if anyone has any clues what the cause(s) could be and what to look for (could it be badcaps or is it more likely BIOS etc?). If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try and find out. Many thanks.

Re: HP Probook 455 G1 paperweight

To get a correct bios you need the exact notebook model or better the information written on the motherboard.
    With this same information you can ask for the scheme of the motherboard. There could be two similar chips one is the "bios" the other should be for the EC.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
      To get a correct bios you need the exact notebook model or better the information written on the motherboard.
      With this same information you can ask for the scheme of the motherboard. There could be two similar chips one is the "bios" the other should be for the EC.
      Thanks for the reply, I'm at work at the moment but will get back with some more detail ASAP. I have attached an image of the chip I was tinkering with, its all I have access to at the moment.

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

OK, I have just stripped the motherboard out and taken a photo of each side. Hopefully the OneDrive link will work as I think the files are too large to post directly.

The laptop is an HP ProBook 455 G1. Product code: HOV84EA#ABU. It has a 12240-1 Python 14MB 48.4ZC03.011 AMD motherboard (HP spare number 722824-601). There is a small chip with 8 legs on the reverse of the board but it looks a bit smaller than the other chip I posted earlier, I don't think it would be the BIOS but I'm no expert. Hopefully someone has a schematic or can tell from the photos.
        Also, I can't see any swelling or discharge from the capacitors so hopefully they are ok. Off to rebuild it now...

Comment

Here is your bios

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51876

Comment

Thanks mcplsl123 (and jackso_jacker). That link is where I got the BIOS from initially and I couldn't get it to verify, however I do have some good news

Last night, whilst checking this thread for updates, I decided to have another go at flashing the BIOS. This time it went through and I got a verification I plugged the laptop in and the power button lit up an the fan started spinning and after a bit of fiddling with the internals (swapped ram between slots etc.), I got it to boot! I then spent the next 5 or 6 hours trying to remove the 'product information not valid' screen during POST (got there in the end - thank you bloggers and you tubers everywhere! ). I have spent most of the day tinkering with battery charging faults and updating windows etc. (and found the laptop is subject to a free battery recall too - bonus!) and it is almost back to normal I just have a virtual COM port start up error (code 10) left to sort out now, then I think it'll be as good as the day before it died (even better when the new battery turns up).

For anyone who might be interested, I used the BIOS file downloaded directly from the HP website to make a BIOS recovery USB disk. On this recovery disk there was a file simply called '.bin' in the 'latest' folder, I renamed it bios.bin (the only thing I did different to before) and used this to flash the BIOS chip with a CH341A and programming clamp.

All in all this cost me less than £15 and a load of time, better than the £350 HP wanted, and I learned a thing or two along the way. Thank you both again for your help.

Now, does anyone know anything about STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port - device cannot start (code 10) problems?....
            Last edited by myklegend; 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM. Reason: Thought of something else after posting.

Comment

try using the drivers for windows 8.1,it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by bachir2004 View Post
                try using the drivers for windows 8.1,it should work.
                I left the laptop at work (on purpose - I need an early night) so I'll have a look at that tomorrow, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X