Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GL553VD and EC

Hi,
    Typically on asus motherboards, the EC is programmed automatically; right now i am working on an asus gl553vd motherboard which has a connector dedicated to EC programming. On this card I have the problem that the ram is not detected on one slot (I read postcode 55) while on the other (postcode 19 then 30 sec then other values, sometimes it returns to 19, and at the end the bios screen is displayed ) after many seconds the bios screen appears. I programmed the EC through the connector with a .bin different from the EC part contained in the main bios currently used (I downloaded this file from V ... X but I think it is corrupt because I think the EC part should be the same regardless of the bios version) and now in both slots everything stops at the value 55 . I expected the EC to automatically reprogramme with the part contained in the main bios but this time it did not happen while other times it did. I was wondering what the procedure is to force the automatic programming of the EC and why ASUS has added a dedicated port for this purpose.
    Last edited by jasko_jacker; 04-09-2020, 04:21 AM.

Re: GL553VD and EC

This board has the ITE8176,maybe the dedicated port is to flash the 56KB firmware ,see this old thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79493

EDIT: i was wrong,the port is to flash the IT8587E.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I have programmed the main-ec with the dedicated port and the ite8176 keyboard controller with the keyboard port so seems this motherboard don't have as other asus motherboards the auto programming ec feature , I probably made a mistake saying that it is self-programmed because I had changed the ITE IT8587E taken from a GL753VD which should have the same EC firmware...
      but the main problem is the ram memory, which as I wrote is detected only on a socket. (the same memory stick works on another same model)
      You think that the probably situation is a defective cpu ?

Comment

I don`t know.Do you have a ram slot tester card
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

If only one slot works it may be a broken line to memory controller (CPU). Clean RAM slot with contact cleaner, make sure RAM sticks sits in properly, inspect RAM slot contacts and pins under microscope. If everything looks fine, you can try pressing down on the CPU.
          But at this point I would not attempt anything else and just max out the working slot. Messing too much with the board could kill the working slot too.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Very likely a connection issue. Was this slot working before?
            Check the solder joints and as mentioned under microscope if possible. Also examine for any missing caps under the ram slot on the other side of the board... .

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
              Hi,
              Typically on asus motherboards, the EC is programmed automatically; right now i am working on an asus gl553vd motherboard which has a connector dedicated to EC programming. On this card I have the problem that the ram is not detected on one slot (I read postcode 55) while on the other (postcode 19 then 30 sec then other values, sometimes it returns to 19, and at the end the bios screen is displayed ) after many seconds the bios screen appears. I programmed the EC through the connector with a .bin different from the EC part contained in the main bios currently used (I downloaded this file from V ... X but I think it is corrupt because I think the EC part should be the same regardless of the bios version) and now in both slots everything stops at the value 55 . I expected the EC to automatically reprogramme with the part contained in the main bios but this time it did not happen while other times it did. I was wondering what the procedure is to force the automatic programming of the EC and why ASUS has added a dedicated port for this purpose.
              Hi! How did you solve the problem (if you did)?

I have the same laptop with the exact same problem, should I try to flash the bios?

Comment

Bios reprogramming is not likely to solve this issue. But it can in a rare situation.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                  Bios reprogramming is not likely to solve this issue. But it can in a rare situation.
                  Thank you for the answer. Just curious, what would do a bios flash on the actual chip? I mean, I saw post about people flashing the bios on the old chip without replacing it, why? does it "somehow" erase itself randomly?

I used to flash "bioses" on another type of boards (not laptop) but only on brand new chip (empty).

Comment

If the Bios chip is flash-based chip, first you erase the current contents of the chip. Then, you write the new contents.

Comment

In my case (only one ram slot works) it wasn't an EC or bios problem but
                      the CPU was internally damaged and does not detect the ram.
                      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 06-25-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

In my case (only one ram slot works) it wasn't an EC or bios problem but
                        the CPU was internally damaged and does not detect the ram.
                        I see, have you tryied reflowing/reballing the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                          If the Bios chip is flash-based chip, first you erase the current contents of the chip. Then, you write the new contents.
                          Ok now I understand!

Comment

Need new CPU , it's not simple to solder this type of BGA .

Comment

I have programmed the main-ec with the dedicated port and the ite8176 keyboard controller with the keyboard port so seems this motherboard don't have as other asus motherboards the auto programming ec feature , I probably made a mistake saying that it is self-programmed because I had changed the ITE IT8587E taken from a GL753VD which should have the same EC firmware...
                              but the main problem is the ram memory, which as I wrote is detected only on a socket. (the same memory stick works on another same model)
                              You think that the probably situation is a defective cpu ?
                              Hello,
                              i have the same board with a shorted EC. Before replacing it i need to know if
                              the IT8587E must be programmed externally or if its selfprogramming (In case of the ASUS GL553).
                              Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X