Msi p35 neo lga775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msi p35 neo lga775

On my first try to doing some recapping on my mobo which had been unused for quite long due to a few leaked capacitors.

From my understanding, MSI had been using cheap capacitors in the past and it occured on this board.

I'm planning to remove every bit of those capacitors with a polymer ones then the regular wet types.

The indication indicated as 680uf 4v.

Can i replace it with 680UF 6.3V ones?

Re: Msi p35 neo lga775

You need to slow down a little bit and expand your knowledge base.

The volts and uF are not enough information to choose replacement caps.
    Replacement caps should have the same Ripple [or higher] and the same ESR [or less].

On an old all Lytic board upgrading the VRM caps to poly is pretty safe.
    -Sometimes- the caps around the RAM. [Not always easy to tell which those are.]
    Most others should be replaced with good quality Lytics.

The VRM is the only place where reducing uF should be considered safe.
    Caps in other areas of the board -may- need the original uF value and you won't know for sure short of drawing out the schematic on your own and doing the math.
    Because of that:
    You will find for some of the old caps there simply aren't any good choices in polymer. [Try finding a 3300uF Polymer in 6.3-16v. Or a 220uF 16v that will fit in a 5mm space.]

You need to look at the Ripple Current and ESR ratings of the old caps before you choose new caps because there -ARE- polymer that are worse than some Lytics.

Step #1 is to find the make, series, and diameter of the old caps and look up the specs.
    Step#2 is to choose and order replacements.
    Step#3 is to draw out a cap map [showing polarity, uF & volts] while you are waiting for your order to get there.

As to the basic voltage question.
    The voltage is a -limit-.
    Yes you can use a cap with a higher limit -IF- the other specs are good enough.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

This should help a lot..
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

knowing MSI boards from that era, i bet the caps he's talking about are on the CPU VRM out, and are either light blue OSTs or those strange silver can caps with are said to be Panasonic FL.

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/khe...p35-neo-2b.jpg
        http://www.chip.de/ii/197161288_4d4d198829.jpg

i also see what looks like KZGs (lots of them), which would probably be the bad ones on his board

Comment

My first thought was OST for the 4v. Those would have to go.
          If they are FL then those are fine.

Yup, if he has KZG that probably has a lot to do with it.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

The ones that went bad on mine were KZG

Comment

KZG are well known to have a high failure rate. [Good brand but bad series.]
              KZG also have a nasty habit of failing without bloating at all...
              [So do OST]

What do you have in Vcore and on high [16v] side of VRM?

Odds are you can restore this board to 100%.
              Without doing some poking around with a DMM the 'safe' candidates for a poly upgrade are the VRM caps.
              You should stay with lytics for the others.
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-20-2011, 05:12 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Thx for the detail advise.
                I'm actually working from scratch scrapping every details out there bit by bit.
                I had almost no knowledge at all.

The pic that u indicated werent the ones i have. The ones that bloated are the ones infront of the processor. Those silver caps indicated in the pic were blue ones but were the wet types.The same design as the ones with black and goldish caps.

So i guess KZG cap types are actually the term as what has been call as Solid Capacitors in the market these days.

I'll post up the exact pic of the mobo. I'm gonna have to do alot of reading if i had to catch up with ur guys explaination. I thought that by solderin the exact reading caps with same size would actually solve the problem.

But it look way complicated then i could understand.

Comment

The silver ones are 'wet types' too.
                  The sleeve is only a way to mark the caps.
                  Both Electrolytics and Polys can come either way.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I have successfully recapped sever MSI boards with those blue 680uF 4v OST capacitors before. The best replacement is a 560uF poly, like these.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by darkskies View Post
                      I thought that by solderin the exact reading caps with same size would actually solve the problem.
                      Everyone thinks that at first.
                      It's not quite that easy but it's not as hard as I probably make it sound either.

Motherboard capacitors are low ESR & high Ripple rated caps.

There are different 'grades' [levels] of low ESR.
                      You want caps that are the same grade or better.
                      - For Ripple more is better.
                      - For ESR less is better.

Unfortunately there are no -standardized- names for the grades but I made up a cross reference for the common 'good brands' here:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=88

To replace both the Vcore and KZG any of the following are good brands and will work fine.
                      [But these are all Lytics.]

[xxx][xxx] = ESR(or ESR range) at [8x20mm][10x20mm]

HZ, GA -- [.009][.007]
                      ------------------------------------------------------
                      GC, HN, MCZ -- [.012][.010-.011]
                      ------------------------------------------------------
                      FJ, FL, NRSJ -- [.016][.013]
                      MBZ, HM, WG, GD, NRSK -- [.018-.019][.013]

Note: KZG is [.021][.013]

c_hegge's suggestion is good for upgrading the Vcore caps to polymer but I would not use those in other places on the board.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-20-2011, 06:05 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Wow, this is probably same board I just recapped: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13123

It's frustrating that otherwise good equipment is spoiled with a few shitty caps. Reminds me of light bulbs which nowadays won't last too long even they were originally designed to last for hundreds of years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjCtBviqrw

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          My first thought was OST for the 4v. Those would have to go.
                          If they are FL then those are fine.

Yup, if he has KZG that probably has a lot to do with it.
                          Took me a long time to notice that those were OSTs. Yeap all 8 were goners.
                          Those werent KZG. I've decided to go all polymers with sanyos. Seems to me sanyo have quite good ESRs caps and have been reputable to be manufacturing quality caps.

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          I have successfully recapped sever MSI boards with those blue 680uF 4v OST capacitors before. The best replacement is a 560uF poly, like these.
                          Nice option u posted there. I've checked that those are top liner polymer caps and especially from sanyos. Only problem is sourcing for them is a headache since i'm unsure whether will i get any import tax if i were to get them to malaysia.

Comment

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but didn't see that this would be big enough of an issue to start a new one (and maybe some one will come across the same problem).

I have the exact same board, from which I replaced 8 OST 680uF 4V caps with 560uF polys. The mobo now boots, but only with RAM at B1 or B2 slots. In other words the A slots are out. I think this might be because of a 1000uF 6.3V KZG between the A and B slots, but haven't tested out yet. KZG is not bulging, but might be bad as they are well known to go bag even without bulging.

Anyways, I was hoping that some one has had similar experience and could point out what the most probable issue would be.

Board layout: http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/khe...p35-neo-2b.jpg
                            Last edited by wacce; 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X