Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The (now the death of) Dolby DP600 Build (BEYOND COOL BUT PIC HEAVY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The (now the death of) Dolby DP600 Build (OK, this one is BEYOND COOL)

Not sure if you've covered this or not, but how do you plan on getting power to whatever motherboard you put in there?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      Not sure if you've covered this or not, but how do you plan on getting power to whatever motherboard you put in there?
      You'll see. I already have all that drawn out.

Power distribution is an animal of its own in this beast....There's several subsystems not powered by the main PSU (or TPU in my schematic); its only for powering the test subject and its peripherals, but the unit needs secondary/controllable LV & LV standby power for HV control & other functionality.... It's also the reason for the two halves. All the HV stuff is in the bottom, for obvious safety reasons....Stay tuned, it hasn't even gotten to the best part yet.

Ohh, and just a side function of this....I have a classic old motherboard here for use in-house with the usual onboard IDE, but also has onboard SCSI...so not only will this machine test & burn-in motherboards but it will also be used for 'legacy' (IDE & 50-pin, 68-pin, and 80-pin SCSI) HDD testing & wiping since the more modern HDD stations can only handle modern interfaces; SATA, SAS, SSD, and M.2. I have a massive stack of IDE and SCSI drives that need wiped....so early on, this thing will get a lot of hours put on the meter!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I didn't accomplish anything astonishing today....but I did get a little done. Laying out some things for the front panel. First thing was a bay for 2x 5.25" drive mounts. I'm using the original Dolby 5.25" cage & case opening....but there's a problem....the Dolby cabinet is now upside down.... ...so this took a little re-engineering.

First thing first....since I'm not reusing the Dolby front bezel, which held the cage in place with some fancy decorative bolts, I had to countersink the holes that holds the cage to the aluminum frame, otherwise my front panel won't sit flush.

Now for the fun... As if by some miracle, the part of the bay shown below with the CDROM actually lined up using the drive's upper mounts and what would have been the cage's upper mounts. The second one wasn't even close....but IIRC, the second bay was actually for an internal HDD in an adapter tray....but that's about to change....

Slipped a 3.5" adapter tray in there, so I can mark from the inside with a sharpie.

Marked.

Drilled.

and BAM! Perfection!

Not bad!

Now for a little re-engineering of the fault warning in the redundant PSU. This PSU has a LED interface for operating conditions of the unit; a power-on/OK and a fault/warn status. The Dolby unit did not utilize this function, as the harness for it was just tied up inside the case.... I want to use this function with my top control panel indicator lamps, which are either 5v or 12v....the problem is, the output plug obviously goes through a current limiter in the backplane, which yields an output of ~2.5v, which won't even strike the 5v lamps. I didn't take pics, but I back traced the harness and tested the voltages prior to the current limiting resistor, lo & behold, 5V!! The LED lamps I'm using are internally current limited, I can run the 5v lamps between 4v and 9v, the 12v ones are good from 9v to about 15.

Now kicking around ideas for interior layout of the bottom section.... These 4 standoffs used to hold the display inverter & signal processor board, which won't be reused.

If you remember way back from earlier in the thread, the LV/Standby PSU (which I did a couple more mods to today, but I'll get back to that later)... In the schematic, this is written in as the "IPU"....but I digress... It won't be difficult to fabricate brackets to mount this PSU to these standoffs.

Wiring this thing is going to be a real joy.....but I'm still a little ways from that...but so far so good!!

Now here's some fun things....8x 12v relays from a DLI IP switch. No, it wasn't the one from the previous page. I actually got 2 of them, this one was hit by lightning and its mainboard was fried; I couldn't fix it....but the relays are good!!

Some of these relays will be controlling higher voltages on 110v (mains) rails and obviously mounted in the bottom section, but controlled from the top panel interface. I contemplated using logic gates & push buttons for activation/deactivation.....but decided against it, as nothing is more reliable than mechanical switches & relays....and of course I'd have to make all the gate controllers; adding another tangent of fabrication to this....
        Attached Files
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Re: The (now the death of) Dolby DP600 Build (BEYOND COOL BUT PIC HEAVY)

Another portion of this has been completed; the second hard drive diag & wiping system.....nicknamed 'Diskwashers' in honor of this thread and my little fauxpas!!

This had to be completed, as a recent acquisition left be a couple hundred HDD's that had to be wiped....I really needed both machines going. This one was half built, system core all in place & working....but I was missing the 4 bay cage for the 2.5" HDD's and the Adaptec 5805 controller....so I broke down and ordered them...

and here we go! Cover cracked open!!

Motherboard wasn't even hooked up yet....

The HDD cages... The 3-bay 3.5" cage I've had since I started this, the smaller one was what was missing....and the SAS controller card.

Assembly time!!

Identical to the other one.

...and ready to go!!

Now for some modifications in the rack. I moved the 19" display to the rear part of rail mounts. When standing at it, it was right in my face and a bit of a hassle.... This also clears the path for some things in the future. I know it looks kind of silly right now, but it'll make sense in time.

Testing....

Testing successful....and it 'washing' its first batch of disks!!

Labeled....the letter on the machine corresponds with the letter position used on the KVM.

....yea!!

This project has not been forgotten....I have been crazy busy as of late....
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Awesome, I love it every bit!

The "Diskwasher" name had me seriously LOLing... and really funny how that came about too. That explains the Appliance Repair section, which TBH was a great idea.

BTW, I've been washing discs myself, but not the HDD kind - just regular ol' CD-R's. Don't ask why. Let's just say some things that I find in the garbage and try to rescue are... well... how do I put it so it doesn't sound illogical? I guess I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Awesome, I love it every bit!

The "Diskwasher" name had me seriously LOLing... and really funny how that came about too. That explains the Appliance Repair section, which TBH was a great idea.

BTW, I've been washing discs myself, but not the HDD kind - just regular ol' CD-R's. Don't ask why. Let's just say some things that I find in the garbage and try to rescue are... well... how do I put it so it doesn't sound illogical? I guess I can't.
              Funny you bumping this thread.... The last 6 months or so I've had crap stacked on top of this thing....and I've got a whiteboard on the wall with partial schematics drawn out for wiring it (wiring this thing will be a real treat)....but made zero progress. Last week I began cleaning the table off this thing is sitting on so I can get back into it. It's so close now!!

The 'diskwashers' are used very regularly.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

...so I had a 'snow day'... Hold onto your hats folks....the last of the heavy grinding & mechanics have been done. It's not all finished yet, but the worst of it all is definitely over.

Today I cut out drive opening for the front of this thing. I wasn't as nervous doing this, as this is just a 7U rack blank, it could be replaced if I completely hosed this; whereas if I botched the control panel with all the gauges, this would have created a horrific time in reproducing it.

So here we are. This is the original optical cage from the Dolby unit....but here's the problem. The Dolby unit is now upside down, so nothing lined up anymore as far as drive mounting holes. Easy fix. These are test units just for fitment.

Now for the 7U face plate.

Unit flipped over so I can get measurements.

This opening is larger than the actual drive faces, so I had to take measurements from the bottom of the drive when it was fastened in to the base of the opening (reference point closest to the floor of the case) and measure it out from there.

Taped off.

Cut out.

I only had to do a little filing & fine fitting. I was impressed with whatever this plate is coated with. I was expecting the heat of the pneumatic angle grinder to wreck the finish....I already had it in my mind that when this was done I'd have to repaint it.....but the coating took the heat! I will not have to repaint it! This metal was too thick for the Dremel, I had to use the big daddy cutter!

Test fitment drive & dummy tray removed.

Real drives installed.

There's maybe 1/64th" of clearance around those drives. Nice snug fit!

Now to mount the 'IPU'. This had to be done at this point to make sure some clearances would be correct before going any further.... This was simple. Mounted on the posts where the original display board was mounted for the Dolby unit. Simply made brackets from some rear bay covers.

Now the next step....a 3-bay stack of interfaces. These are 2x 3.5" external IDE interfaces. The cages they are mounted in are originally out of a bunch of DVR's I scrapped. I knew I hung onto these for a reason!! A little fab work was required to unite these; they are single-drive cages only.

Not quite done yet....but the secret was drilling out their original mount holes so I can put bolts through them.

Now to mount this up. The control panel had to come out.

A through hole had to be cut.

now for the 3rd device in this stack, a 3.5" floppy, mounted in yet another of those DVR 3.5" cages.

All fastened in place.

Now for the fun, cutting yet another hole in the face of this for the floppy. Yes, I know it probably looks a little out of place, but this thing is not as spacious as it looks. For clearance reasons, this was the optimal place....and this thing wasn't made to look pretty.

Final test fit with the control panel in place (screw height of the panel when fastened is critical for spacing, the lip of the black face plate rests on those screws.

I'm sure you're wondering why I used IDE drives...there was a reason, and this will make sense a little later. All the interfaces clear even with an eATX board and/or full length GPU's installed.

I still have a few holes to poke in the face plate, for some indicator lamps, switches, variable controls, and of course mounting holes for the face plate itself.....but this is basic drilling....the hardest part of the mechanical fabrication is over!!

Wiring this will be a very daunting task.....and it's coming up sooner than I though!! That said, I can't wait to finally see this thing work!!
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Not a massive amount of pictures today, but I did make some progress.

Today started off with a trip to Lowes for a hole saw that was 1-3/8" to cut the correct size hole for a large grommet that the ATX connectors will pass through the floor of the case. I always buy the good Lenox brand when cutting metal, they hold up fabulous. Cheap ones are fine for cutting wood, but a task like this, one hole and they'd be dull as Biden himself!

I get there and Lowes has the one I want on clearance as well as all the same of that series around it....so I grabbed one of each size remaining; and the arbor for the smaller ones (they use a different arbor than the larger ones)....so $70 later, here we are....but good tools are a lifetime investment....

Clearing a terminal block off of old connectors....these go back to my high school days. Once upon a time, these were part of a car audio & security system. The car and all of its electronics are long gone.....but when I stripped out the car, I kept all the wiring.... Yea, this box of wiring has been with me over 30 years!

...but it is getting reused!

The grommets. The big one is what I had to cut the hole for.

Terminal block mounted.

Soldered terminals onto the wires to attach to the block. Antec used the crappiest wire I think I've ever seen. I had a hell of a time getting those to tin! I wasn't overly happy with it....it's solid....but ugly. I may end up redoing it with different wire before it's all done.

...but I got it...

Now the location for the harnesses to go through. Small pilot hole drilled....

Cut.....

Nice outcome!

Wires fed through.

Not bad!! Through use, those wires will see a lot of movement.... I definitely didn't want them chaffing on the bare metal hole!

Just some random motherboard to see how the reach was. It will be fine with most....but fear not, I have extensions for each interface if it's ever needed.

Now to dissect some of the molex 5v / 12v plugs on the PSU.... THis made me a little nervous; essentially butchering a quite expensive PSU!!

+12v on one of the shunts (R3); which will feed the PCIe interface. Soldering the wires on this PSU were glorious! Tinned easy and shazam!

More wires.....I stopped here, it was getting late and I wanted to ponder a few things....

SO far so good!! Hard to believe I've been diddling with this thing for over a year and a half though....
                  Attached Files
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Today's task was HV routing & connecting.

First off, I had to create an entry point for the mains... The donor for the connector was once again that fried DLI IP switch..

What I was after....

Now for where it'll go in this contraption....

Here's a nice place!!

Marked.

Cut.

Installed and perfect fit.

Now to drill 3 holes for exterior line cords, 2 for the TPU and one for the display. Grommets installed of course.

Cords fed through.

Display cord done.

VGA selector removed, terminal blocks, and relay bases set & marked.

Floor plate lifted out, hopefully for the last time!!

Drilled.

Everything fastened down.

Wiring mains & connecting HV stuff.

Done with HV....

I powered it up for the first time.....well, lets just say connected the mains.... The relays and the LV stuff isn't installed. I just wanted to poke at it with the meter and make sure voltages were where they were supposed to be....and they were. I didn't snap a breaker with it yet!

Next task it to wire the panel.
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Yay Monday.....and I was busy today so I didn't accomplish much....but I did finish poking holes in the front panel.

This was something that was in the original draft for the machine but deleted when the touchscreen power controller was developed....but I decided to bring it back if for nothing more than safety & emergency cutoff if ever needed.....which is the mechanical mains disconnect / master switch & indicators.

...and here we go!!

Installed.

The indicators. The bottom one (on top in the pic, the unit is upside down) indicates a 'live chassis'. The top one (bottom on the pic) is 'master on'. The 'live chassis' is a no-brainer, mains voltage present when lit whether the switch is on or off....but when the time comes that this (and other machines in this rack) are controlled by my touchscreen unit, that's when this will be more useful. Of course the other needs no explanation....if that's on, the unit is powered up....and a standby lamp will also illuminate indicating the IPU is powered.

Now for the test bay fan speed rheostat.....

...and that concludes all the hole poking in the front panel.....which left a huge void in the basially upper left quadrant of the face......what could I put there....

Internal display? 8" 800x600, good for basic test displays & troubleshooting softwares such as memtest, 'troubleshooter', etc....

This will flushmount clear (barely), but it can be installed in this location.

This stepdown allows it to mount nicely to the front and look like it was born there.

I'll have to kick this one around. I could flushmount it or pedestal mount it; which could give it a bit of an upward tilt (easier to see viewing angle), and the rack doors would still close. The electrical modifications to the schematic would be minor, and I would also add a video switch to transfer video to the larger external display if I needed higher resolutions or simply a larger display..... I want to kick this one around a little.....but I'm warming up to the idea ratehr quickly!
                      Attached Files
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I got a little more done this evening; was busy throughout the day.... It's time to wire the panel, but I contemplated the internal display and decided to roll with it. My original plan had an AFT mounted display, but changes in the rack tower config rendered that not such a practical idea; as right above it would reside a 19" rackmount display.... There are several reasons I wanted an internal display.... The big one is that I want the unit to be self contained for operation; IE will operate completely stand-alone. It won't not depend on any external source for anything..... As time goes on, it will have a few side roles in the rack tower's overall function....but it can also run stand-alone; thus, its own display. It also filled up that vacant upper-left side quadrant nicely.

The big question now was how I was going to achieve this. I wanted to mount it flush in that vacant quadrant, but that wasn't playing out well. This machine will be about waist-height when in the tower, control panel about even with my belly button (maybe a tad higher); this makes for easy access to the test bed and ergonomic when using a KB & MS standing at it. The display flushmounted would render it completely unviewable; the angle was FUBAR. No way to make this work and still make things accessible....so I did a pedestal mount instead. Doesn't look as nice as it would have if it were flushmounted, but this is a test bench, not furniture! ...so here we go!!

Holes drilled.

A couple things cut out of the way for clearance reasons.

Test fitting.

I knew that clearance on hole saws would pay off!!!

Some more cutting.....

Here's why....getting the VGA cable throught hat little hole wasn't going to happen.....so some creativity yet still maintaining appearances.

View from inside the case.

Now for the display itself. For this to function as I want, some mods had to be made. I already had controls implemented for a display on the control panel...now to make them work with this monitor.

First, I wanted indicators. I originally had a 'display on' on the control panel, as the monitor I was going to use only had an indicator that was ON or OFF. This one however has an ON an and a STBY....a dual position LED....but WTF, it was on the back of the monitor, not even visible....so I removed it.

I then modified the 6v panel LED's by removing their current limiter; as the output for the display LED's is already current limited.

Now to tie this to the main panel.... HMMM... Easy! THis is the monitor from earlier in the thread with the non-functional USB touchscreen, but the interface was there! NIIIIIICEEE!! All the switches and the LED's use a standard common to the interface board. I have 4 conductors and a ground in the USB cable!!

Easy peasy! I only needed basic functions on the control panel. If I needed more, the buttons on the rear of the display are still usable.....but for all intents & purposes, all that's really needed is the indicators, soft on/off, and auto adjust.

Red = red LED
                        Green = Green LED
                        Black = Auto Adjust Button
                        White = Soft on/off button
                        GND = well, you know...

Worked like a charm!!

Monitor reassembled.

Now for the other end....a USB cord from the junk bin.

No longer USB, this will interface with the display indicators & buttons on the control panel.

A mod to the control panel for the red LED, which indicates standby/no_signal. Green of course indicates signal/powered on.

USB cable fed through the cable grommet.

Now the power cable fed through. This monitor uses a simple +12v, easily powered by the internal IPU. The brick that came with it will not be used.

This cleared the path for the panel wiring to begin.....
                        Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

TC, if you don't have an industrial engineering degree, you should go to your nearest local university and tell them to just give you one. Seriously, this is top notch work and design you'd expect to see from a proper experienced engineer.
                          (Though I suppose you don't really need the degree anyways, because... well, not like you're looking for an employer or company to work for. Of course, it may be nice to have just to put on your wall, perhaps to show off to customers? )

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          Some more cutting.....

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1675310220

Here's why....getting the VGA cable throught hat little hole wasn't going to happen.....so some creativity yet still maintaining appearances.

Ingenious design!

Originally posted by Topcat
                          I powered it up for the first time.....well, lets just say connected the mains.... The relays and the LV stuff isn't installed. I just wanted to poke at it with the meter and make sure voltages were where they were supposed to be....and they were. I didn't snap a breaker with it yet!
                          Didn't doubt you wouldn't - not with that kind of level of detail you give it.

Today started off with a trip to Lowes for a hole saw that was 1-3/8" to cut the correct size hole for a large grommet that the ATX connectors will pass through the floor of the case. I always buy the good Lenox brand when cutting metal, they hold up fabulous. Cheap ones are fine for cutting wood, but a task like this, one hole and they'd be dull as Biden himself!

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh today. This delivered.

I get there and Lowes has the one I want on clearance as well as all the same of that series around it....so I grabbed one of each size remaining; and the arbor for the smaller ones (they use a different arbor than the larger ones)....so $70 later, here we are....but good tools are a lifetime investment....

Besides, with the crazy way inflation is these days, $70 is almost pocket change now for buying anything. Some people spend more than that on overpriced coffee (from you know where ) per week! I'm sure these hole saws will last you more than a week.

I think I shared this story here (maybe a few pages back) where I borrowed some cheap hole saws from uncle about two summers ago and broken them. Well, this summer, he was using a new set that was the exact same as the old one (he had a spare). Was making holes in some kitchen cabinets for plugs and wires. Couldn't get the right hole size TWICE using the same exact bit / hole saw - the set was just that garbage and inconsistent. My uncle almost ruined a piece of the MDF on the back due to this. I really ought to buy him a better set when I see him next time. Good quality tools also save you time and wasted nerves by doing the job right the first time. Sadly, he is at that age where he is pretty much retired and says he doesn't need better tools because he rarely does that kind of work anymore. Yet, he still does it often enough (at least from what I've observed) that it would really be nice to get him a better set.
                          Last edited by momaka; 02-02-2023, 01:34 AM.

Comment

TC, if you don't have an industrial engineering degree, you should go to your nearest local university and tell them to just give you one. Seriously, this is top notch work and design you'd expect to see from a proper experienced engineer.
                            (Though I suppose you don't really need the degree anyways, because... well, not like you're looking for an employer or company to work for. Of course, it may be nice to have just to put on your wall, perhaps to show off to customers? )
                            I guess all those years of case modding have paid off. I'd defnitely need an electronics refresher course (I'm very rusty with theory) and some more advanced schooling...and I don't know how well I'd fare in an academic environment at my age....the thought has crossed my mind....but for what reason/? A wall hanger? ...but there's never a bad reason not to better ones self though, even if I never worked in the field...the knowledge would be worth it....and to think of what I could create then!

Didn't doubt you wouldn't - not with that kind of level of detail you give it.
                            I definitely appreciate the vote of confidence....but I did catch a couple of wiring goofs; which is why I check multiple times....but goofs none the less. Of all the cockamamie things I've made over the years, I think this one takes the prize. Been a lot of fun and perhaps a bit of functional tech art at the end of the day.

Besides, with the crazy way inflation is these days, $70 is almost pocket change now for buying anything. Some people spend more than that on overpriced coffee (from you know where ) per week! I'm sure these hole saws will last you more than a week.
                            These are the good ones. I used the same Lenox brand to cut the steel control panel, that didn't even dull it up. They'll last a lifetime, odds are....and yea, 70 bucks isn't even a trip to the grocery store today. Quite sad really.

I didn't accomplish anything earth-shattering today, but did begin wiring the panel. I settled on the wire to use; a cabin harness from a wrecked old 300zx. Nissan used stellar quality wire in these cars, nothing else I had here or could go buy today would even come close to this....I just had to harvest it.

Pile of scrap....

Let the fun begin! I did the IPU & TPU indicators first. All the LED's in place in their sockets.

I just tied the negatives directly to a ground tab on the chassis. Save clutter. The entire body of this is ground and nothing is coated. The positives are unique colors, making identifying easy on the underside.

The schematics are on paper and in my brain.....but I will never memorize a pinout this large....enter the whiteboard that my wife graffiti'd. I've been working around it....but as the pinouts grow, it might meet the eraser.

This small accomplishment today is the results of ~5hrs work..... This part isn't moving fast.
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Today there was a little progress....but progress none the less.

Needed to add wiring for ATX controls; POWER ON, RESET, and ATX POWER LED. There was a HDD LED, but I deleted that. The dongle came from an old junk case. When I test a board, I always poke at the ATX power_on pins with a screwdriver....the totally wrong way to do it....so I'll add the appropriate ATX buttons....

The harness cut off the button block.

Small hole drilled for routing the wires through the case floor.

Now the fun. The grommet lip was too narrow for both layers of the case floor....so once again the hole saws came in handy again. I drilled through the bottom side (aluminum) and removed that layer.

I then widened the pilot hole out to the correct diameter for the grommet.

Perfect fit!!

Dongle fed through.

Mains rerouted for the disconnect.

Put ends on...

Fastened down to terminal block.

Now back to the panel!!

Volt meter grounds.

Volt meter positives and ammeters. The ammeters cables are 2-conductor with shields, from the nissan harness. Gray jackets with a colored stripe, just enough for all 5 ammeters.

Pinout list is growing....

Getting closer!!
                              Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Today's accomplishment was completing the main panel wiring....I knew this would be a tedious process. I didn't underestimate it!

This should be the last larger hole I have to cut. I have a couple smaller ones that will come with the final assembly; but this should be the last of the big stuff.

Nice grommeted wire channel.

Wired up the ATX buttons and the modified USB display harness.

Live test of the display controls. Powered on, no signal; red LED lit.

Powered on + signal and working!

Of course the monitor control buttons worked as they should....so now onto wiring the switches... They are a small subharness of their own. I ran out of color color/stripe combinations and had to reuse colors for the switches, so I segregated them. Easy peasy.

....and done!!!

Test fitting the harnesses through the case floor. Fit with a little bit of room; not much, but a little...

The pinouts grew a little more...

This was just a test fit. I'll have to lift it back out of there to install all the drive cages. I also need to final test the drives prior....once assembled, replacing them would not be a joyous event!

Once all that is done, then comes finishing wiring the bottom section and then the final assembly....
                                Attached Files
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

The fun continues!! VGA transfer switch from the internal display to the external....hole drilled.

Marked on the inside.

Test fit before cutting backing.

...and cut...

Perfecto!!

Front fastened to the body....and I hope I never have to remove it!

Back to wiring.... Mains disconnect switch wired.

ATX controls terminal block wired. I did a terminal block for these so if the little wires & ends wear out and need to be replaced, I won't have to cut a bunch of splices....

Wired TPU status LED's and alarm/warn silence.

Modular terminal block wired.

Now for the shunts..... Power cabling first.

Power done. I had to make extensions for all the 20/24 pin & 4/8 pin EPS connectors, so don't pay any attention to their coloring; it's irrelevant for this, its obvious what their mission is....and using the nice Nissan wire. All splices were soldered.

Packing it in for the day....

The big wad of loose wiring is shrinking down...but still a ways to go.

Trashed all the looms from the old harness....was getting tired of stepping on them...there's more in there than it appears!

Meters are next. One thing I've found is that the wiring stage of this is absolutely mentally exhausting. I have done several live tests along the way to verify things are working as they should. Still batting a thousand! No magic smoke, shocks, or snapped breakers!!
                                  Attached Files
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Nothing astonishing was accomplished today, but I did manage to get the ammeters wired in.

The piece of paper is there so the camera would focus on the correct wires. The ammeter cables are the 2-conductor + shield. I made a ground strap for each shield.

...and done...

I hope I have a little more time to tinker with it tomorrow....
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

What, all this wiring and you're using zipties instead of braiding them?

</s>
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                        What, all this wiring and you're using zipties instead of braiding them?

</s>
                                        I actually did consider loom lace......but my knot skills are lacking....
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Very interesting project can I ask you what you are going to do with it when you are finished with this project can you go into some detail about it if you can
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply
                                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                          X