Recommend GOOD cheap PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend GOOD cheap PSU

Putting together a new build for client.

Intel i5 build with ati 6850

Using newegg.

Need a recommendation on brand for PSU or recommend a GOOD cheap PSU.

I only need 500w single rail, need decent amount of amps on the 12v. The more wattage, the better.

I was going to buy Corsair 750TX then I saw the CV series but it doesn't look as reliable as the TX series.

I'm cutting cost where I can.

Re: Recommend GOOD cheap PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027

Thats about the best for the money. If you want to take a chance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817494002

It's an HEC unit, and they are typically hit-and-miss in terms of performance. Usually so-so voltage regulation and not so good ripple suppression. I don't see your computer going much over 200-250W, so I would say it would be fine, but would suggest coughing up the extra $20 and getting the known quality and extra year of warranty.

Comment

http://www.hypermicro.com/ProductDes...046&type=0&eq=

Been running my C2D rig for almost 2 years now. Rock solid and quiet.

Comment

Careful of the corsair. IIRC the CX series are full of samxon GF series

I'd use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207018 - XFX pro series 450W
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Seriously, you'd be perfectly fine with these. You could even overclock
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9026&Tpk=cx430

Comment

The Silent Pro M 600W is on sale for 59 (after rebate).

It is an enhance design, group reg, mostly modular, good reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171036

Comment

@Pentium4, Read my last post. Corsair CX (and Enermax NAXN) = Bad caps
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I think the best choice would be a decent hardware design and then pre-emptively replace the capacitors if needed?
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

I grabbed an OCZ Falal1ty 550W a few weeks ago at Newegg (an older PSU, Newegg was probably clearing the last of them out). I don't see many reviews for this PSU, and you'll have to follow the rebate instructions EXACTLY, but for $45 ($35 if you let them send their promotional e-mails to you), I'm satisfied.

(The PSU fan is inside the top/bottom of the PSU, not the side that faces out the back of your computer. So the heatsinks have to be shorter inside. But it's probably a pretty good PSU.)

Comment

That's a pretty common way to mount the fan nowadays. Large, slow fan makes it quieter.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I got a good deal on an "Antec Earthwatts 650", for $69 when the retail price was still $99. Now I see them on sale again, , , you guessed it, for $69 again.

I have two of them, one in each of my main systems and after more than a year, never a complaint. I run a lot of extra hardware and the PSU's take it in stride. I can think of nothing worse, than being Underpowered.

Remember, the rating on the label, is the momentary startup wattage, not the All Day, every day running wattage.

Cheers mates, and Happy Holidays!

Experience is truly the best teacher.
                      Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePCDoctor View Post
                        Remember, the rating on the label, is the momentary startup wattage, not the All Day, every day running wattage.
                        Only for ones made by Hong Kong FlyApart Company.

Any decent brand puts the continuous rating on the label.
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                          Only for ones made by Hong Kong FlyApart Company.

Any decent brand puts the continuous rating on the label.
                          True.
                          But there aren't many.
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by ThePCDoctor View Post
                            I got a good deal on an "Antec Earthwatts 650", for $69 when the retail price was still $99. Now I see them on sale again, , , you guessed it, for $69 again.

I have two of them, one in each of my main systems and after more than a year, never a complaint. I run a lot of extra hardware and the PSU's take it in stride. I can think of nothing worse, than being Underpowered.

Cheers mates, and Happy Holidays!

You should get a Kill-A-Watt and play around with it.
                            I dunno what you have and I could be wrong but the odds are you'll find you are past just over-kill and well into hyper-over-kill.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                              http://www.hypermicro.com/ProductDes...046&type=0&eq=

Been running my C2D rig for almost 2 years now. Rock solid and quiet.
                              You should check yours out inside.

We have a customer with a 300w variant of these in their PCs.
                              Some of the collection of caps inside are Capxon, which fail and then send the ripple to the mobo, which overheats components and takes out caps there too.

Comment

Last time I checked it there was a lot of Taicon and a few CapXon in there. I've been meaning to recap it but it runs super cool and it's a Delta.

Comment

Yep - Capxon, Taicon and Asia-X or something similar.
                                  Keep an eye on the Capxon!

Comment

WARNING: Asia-X=Fuhjyyu

Comment

yeah... warning on all the funky caps, especially in corsair CX (not cool cause they replaced the VX which were good with these)... last i checked tho, ablecom/supermicro was fine, but topcat knows more since he sees those all the time:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817377062 (400w delta, so not sure)
                                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817377027 (500w ablecom)

Comment

Better see if the warranty on my CX400 has run out yet then...

You say they use Samxon rubbish series?
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X