Taicon HH replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taicon HH replacement?

And so I understand you have them in KZH?
    If so then use them. - Good caps.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by slap_happy View Post
      I'm so sorry. I should have started a new thread.

With today's posts, I moved on to another cap value in this same power supply.

The 1000uF/16v part is finished.

Now I'm working on 2200uF/16v (w/10mm diameter, equivalent to NCC KZH or Taicon HH) - both have same specs.

I just noticed something about the four 2200uF/16v. They are all in parallel. Since space is tight, would two 4400uF/16v work?
      Be careful.
      If you look closely they are probably not all in parallel.
      They are probably part of PI filters and have coils in between.
      Coils have such low resistance it can get missed by an ohm meter and the caps appear to be in parallel when they actually aren't.
      Trace the circuit by eye-ball/hand.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-16-2011, 11:57 PM.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

The only 2200uF 16V 10mm capacitor I know of is the Panasonic FK...

Newark P/N: 32R8994

Wow, it was 109 yesterday, someone bought like 50 of them overnight... Be quick, they go like hotcakes.

PCBONEZ also mentioned that you can use a Samxon RS 16V 3300uF 10mm in it's stead.

PCBONEZ: I thought PI filters are always two caps input and one cap output?
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          PCBONEZ: I thought PI filters are always two caps input and one cap output?
          Nope, I've seen them done all three ways.
          The first two are the most common by far.
          The last one I'd have to call rare.
          Technically they could flip the middle one [2 caps on output] and it's still a PI filter but I don't think I've ever seen that done.
          It wouldn't make sense unless they needed really small caps on the OP end.
          They are all better than the one coil one cap filters found in el'cheapo PSUs.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-17-2011, 12:58 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

I did a cross-reference of Taicon and Nichicon electrolytics, and Nichicon HV has better ratings than Taicon HH.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Are they 10mm?
              I forget about that series. It's fairly new.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

So, Nichicon HV comes in 10mm x 25mm for;

2200uF 10v

1800uF 16v

I wonder if 4x1800uF might be able to replace 4x2200uF. Aside from the uF, the ESR and ripple specs are a good match.

Or, if the 2200uF 10v might be able to handle 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by slap_happy View Post
                  Or, if the 2200uF 10v might be able to handle 12v.
                  No, never do that.
                  The voltage rating on the cap should always be at or above the actual circuit voltage.

In some cases you can lower uF but I'd rather not guess because I don't really know what you are working on.
                  In general it's not a good idea.
                  - It will change the frequency response of the circuit which may or may not matter depending on what it is.
                  - The uF is the characteristic that makes caps act like back-up batteries during transients like load changes or power line fluctuations.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    No, never do that.
                    The voltage rating on the cap should always be at or above the actual circuit voltage.

In some cases you can lower uF but I'd rather not guess because I don't really know what you are working on.
                    In general it's not a good idea.

It seems then I have but little choice except to use the original spec cap. The ones from that auction site (the worst place to get caps) came in the mail today. I'm really hoping they are unfake. If they are unfake, can anyone tell from the codes on these when they were manufactured. Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Push on the bunge... Does it give way easily and recede into the can or does it stand firm? They look real to me, though the font is slightly suspect...
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

They appear legit. The real deal.
                        Who did you get them from?

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

The bung is firm.

I got them from auction. I'm glad they are probably good because I also got KZH 3300uF 10v in 10mm, which is also hard to find in 10mm.

While I enjoyed rebuilding this power supply, I think I wouldn't mind if I didn't repair another one for quite a while. Sourcing these parts, and all the soldering on this multi-layer board... it was all brutal and a quite a time suck.

Comment

16V 2200uF and 10V 3300uF don't appear in the KZH datasheet at 10mm. Either they're a custom order part, or maybe not genuine...

Though if they really are a genuine custom order size, their ripple numbers look impressive, better than Samxon RS.

Expensive though, almost $2 a cap after shipping. Comparable Panasonic FK 16V 2200uF in 10mm is less than a dollar, though the stock doesn't last long.

Comment

I've seen that size KZH in newer Antec EarthWatts PSUs. So, custom size. They certainly look like the real deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X