Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taicon HH replacement?

I'm about to replace Taicon HH 1000uF/16v 10x25mm

I have on hand....Panasonic FM, and NCC KZH. Which of these two would be a better replacement.

I have compared the datasheets, but I would like other opinions anyway to doublecheck, because I had to remove heatsink to get to these caps and I never want to do it again.

Re: Taicon HH replacement?

I dont know too much about the specific scientific approach to changing caps but I'd make sure that they are rated at high temp being under a heatsinks and all.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Taicon HH
      16V 1000uF 10x25:

0.018 2250(Actually, it's unlisted, so I go according to case size according to PCBONEZ)

KZH has not enough ripple and too high ESR.
      FM is a near perfect match.
      The 16V 1200uF part is even a better match. The 1000uF part is only 10x20 not 10x25.
      Panasonic FM:
      16v 1000uF: 0.019 2180 10x20
      16v 1200uF: 0.018 2470 10x25
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Thanks mockingbird, you're great.

You're right, I'm sorry, the Taicon HH 1000uF 16v part in this power supply is actually 8x20.
        Code:
        http://www.taicon.com/product/pdf/hh.pdf

Taicon HH 1000uF 16v 8x20 0.033 0.11 1410
        I had it confused with other Taicon HHs in this power supply, it is the HH 2200uf 16v used elsewhere on the board that is 10x25.

Thanks again. I will use the FM.
        Last edited by slap_happy; 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

In that case, you should NOT use the FM... An 8x20 KZH part is identical in spec to the HH:

16V 1000uF 0.033 1410

Taicon probably ripped off the spec from UCC...

If the cap is part of a pi filter, and you lower the ESR on one part of it, you will increase the ripple...
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Glad you caught that before I put them in.

But... the KZH I have are 10x16 and 1650, different than the KZH(8x20) at 1410.

I could use KY/10x20 at 1400, but the impedance is quite different than either of the KZH.

(all parts I'm referring to above are 1000uf/16v)

Comment

It's ok, the impedance is only 0.001 Ohms less (0.032) with the 10x16 KZH vs the 8 x 20 KZH (0.033). KY impedance is a little too high. KZH is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                Taicon probably ripped off the spec from UCC...
                Taicon + Nichicon = Kahoots
                Nichicon owns like 1/3 of Taicon.
                Unfortunately they don't supply their materials...
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Now I'm stumped on an equivalent for NCC KZH 2200uF 16v 10x25 0.018/0.054/2250

It must be 10mm. I tried to fit in KZE 12.5mm, but there is no chance for so many adjacent parts of that diameter to ever fit.

What's weird, is the datasheet for KZH doesn't even show a 10mm part for 2200uF/16v value - yet I have the used ones right in front of me.

It seems that 10mm high-value parts are the norm in power supplies, yet the parts themselves just can't be found in that size from any decent brands.

Thanks for any ideas...

Comment

Manufacturers ordering custom cap sizes isn't all that uncommon.
                    Use the specs from the KZH data sheet for nearest same -physical- size cap.
                    The ESR and Ripple change with can size [not uF or volts] so all the KZH 10x25mm will have the same [or nearly the same] Ripple and ESR.
                    [Note: That 'trick' doesn't work with many cheap cap brands. Their data sheet specs are all over the place.]
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-16-2011, 08:43 PM.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

So, if I match the diameter and height, and the ESR and ripple are close, it doesn't matter if I use, say, 1500uF 10v in place of a 2200uF 16v part?

Comment

No.
                        Ripple, ESR, uF, and Volts are all important to the circuit.
                        If you want to cross reference Ripple and ESR,
                        then, WITHIN A SERIES all the caps with the same can size will have the same Ripple and ESR.

Your original cap is not in the data sheet so you don't know the Ripple and ESR for it.
                        Look in the data sheet for the same make and series for a cap with the same can size.
                        - The Ripple and ESR will be the same as for your 'mystery cap'.

At that point you know the Ripple and ESR and volts and uF of the original mystery cap.
                        So, you then know everything you need to go hunting good replacements.

~~
                        Following now?
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

I thought we decided that KZH was an unreliable series much like KZG and KZJ, since they supposedly share some electrolyte components? In any case, KZH comes up so rarely that I have little first hand experience with it. I searched, but nothing jumped out at me to point me one way or the other.

Comment

Ah, I see what you're getting at.

I had already done that detective work though, and posted the "best guess" specs a couples of messages back;

NCC KZH 2200uF 16v 10x25 0.018/0.054/2250

Problem is, when I go hunting for the cap, which I've also done a lot of already, I can't find any comparable spec cap in any brand with a 10mm diameter.

Guess I'll have to roll the dice on that auction site... there are a couple of listings for the 10mm KZH 2200uF 16v, but who knows if they're fresh/real and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                              I thought we decided that KZH was an unreliable series much like KZG and KZJ, since they supposedly share some electrolyte components? In any case, KZH comes up so rarely that I have little first hand experience with it. I searched, but nothing jumped out at me to point me one way or the other.
                              Maybe you guys did.

However, I mostly see the KZH series associated with the KZE series - in various documents from NCC.

The most common NCC parts I see in the secondary of power supplies (even new ones), are KZE, KY, and KZH (in that order).

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                                Not as far as I know.
                                I see them mostly in PSUs.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by slap_happy View Post
                                  Ah, I see what you're getting at.

I had already done that detective work though, and posted the "best guess" specs a couples of messages back;

NCC KZH 2200uF 16v 10x25 0.018/0.054/2250

Problem is, when I go hunting for the cap, which I've also done a lot of already, I can't find any comparable spec cap in any brand with a 10mm diameter.

Guess I'll have to roll the dice on that auction site... there are a couple of listings for the 10mm KZH 2200uF 16v, but who knows if they're fresh/real and whatnot.
                                  I'd probably go with Panasonic FK (10x30, 0.025Ω, 2140mA)for the 2200uF:
                                  http://www.newark.com/panasonic/eeuf...16v/dp/32R8994

It's the closest you're going to get in 10mm and a reliable brand. It's slightly inferior to the one you're trying to replace, but your options are severely limited in 10mm size.

Samxon GD 16V 2200uF (10x25, 0.012Ω, 2800mA ripple) are still available from Big Pope last time I checked. Topcat no longer stocks them, and Samxon may have discontinued them.

Comment

At this point I'm lost.
                                    I thought you were replacing a 1000uF 16v?
                                    That should be relatively easy in 10mm.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                      At this point I'm lost.
                                      I'm so sorry. I should have started a new thread.

With today's posts, I moved on to another cap value in this same power supply.

The 1000uF/16v part is finished.

Now I'm working on 2200uF/16v (w/10mm diameter, equivalent to NCC KZH or Taicon HH) - both have same specs.

I just noticed something about the four 2200uF/16v. They are all in parallel. Since space is tight, would two 4400uF/16v work?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                        At this point I'm lost.
                                        Yeah, I was confused, too. I think he was looking for a 1000uF 16v until post 9 when it switched to 16v 2200uF.

Comment

Working...
                                        X