Tool Recommendation: soldering iron and hot air station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tool Recommendation: soldering iron and hot air station

how much u can spend for iron and hot air ?

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
      how much u can spend for iron and hot air ?
      3 or 4 hundred canadian bucks

Comment

ok so around 300 usd. with that budget the quick hot air is not possible.

i would go for atten st-862d and kesger t12 as someone suggested with some good tips.

edit: i have seen also this branded quick, but look at the solder iron... same as atten and company.... so no go for that money.

https://www.amazon.it/Quick-digitale...673583&sr=8-34

otherwise u can give a try with https://www.ebay.it/itm/Stazione-dop...Cclp%3A2334524

some video u can find on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EacUQBTyDaM

here in italy is 65€ship to italy included.. 10€more for some tips and ull done, but this new hot air station looks like to have a pump for hot air, but when it was out my solder was also very cheap and im satisfied with it.
        Last edited by dellxps15; 09-21-2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

What kind of work do you intend on doing with the hot air and how often would you be using it?

IF you are using it for small project or just to learn how to work with SMD (with no real plan on using it for work purposes/daily repairs) then get a cheap Chinese one. They are much cheaper and good enough for above mentioned purpose.

If you however plan to use it to learn and eventually use it 'Professionally'/often, then it's worth the investment in getting something of better quality like the Atten.

Do not skimp on the soldering iron. Good thermal recovery and maintaining temperature when working on different surfaces with varying thermal mass is important. Hot air (contactless soldering as I sometimes call it ) on the other hand is more 'forgiving' as long as the device can maintain good enough temperature at different air flow as well as having a decent amount of air it can push.

If budget is an issue, prioritize on getting a good soldering iron then decide on the hot air.

I personally started with something similar to this (same model but different rebranding) : https://chinaprices.net/buy-bakon-sb...hine-O365F4D00.
          Last edited by Spider1211; 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

give a look here : ship to canada 65 euros if you are not able to find locally in your country.

https://www.atten.eu/

u can get the st-862d and the AT938D 60W Digital & Lead-free Soldering Station

estimated total cost is 289 euros

what think other people here?

the kesger with that bad power supply i dont think would be the best choise.

Comment

The iron mentioned is 900 series, not T12. Instead of buying the 2 device, I would chip in another EUR50 for a total of EUR339 (per listing on site) and get the MS300 "All in one" unit which also includes a power supply.

https://www.atten.eu/product/1126218...rework-station

Comment

289 was total included 65 of ship. that st-965 i think is similar to all other solder iron... its not a t12...

for t12 or similar there is the gt series, but way more expensive.

Comment

stay away from combined units.

if your in the u.s. then Luis Rossmann has good hot-air stations from Atten that he reviewed on his utube - better than the quick.
                  i'll post a link later

Comment

The MS300 is from Atten and is not an all-in-one/combined unit per se. Its actually 3 separate unit mounted in a frame, of which is the ST-862D hot air station.

Comment

today i have discovered also the Bakon 950d that goldenchipset (hklrf) sell for 17.90 dollars plus ship from china. each tip ( t13 format ) is sold for 2.9 dollar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq439J4ZbrY
                      Last edited by dellxps15; 09-24-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I have a Bakon 950D, less than £20, it comes with a T13 tip but they stick out further than t12 tips, so it's in the recycling and I just use t12 tips.

They don't stick out further, the ridges are in a different place so the element slops about in the handle.
                        Last edited by diif; 09-24-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                          I have a Bakon 950D, less than £20, it comes with a T13 tip but they stick out further than t12 tips, so it's in the recycling and I just use t12 tips.
                          t13 can use t12? and viceversa ? except tips get out much more respect t12, is the bakon any good for the price compared to kesger ?

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                            t13 can use t12? and viceversa ? except tips get out much more respect t12, is the bakon any good for the price compared to kesger ?
                            My first Bakon 950D had a handle for T12 tips and I bought and use t12 tips.
                            I bought a second Bakon 950D as a spare not realising they came with different handles. The t13 tip that turned up was hard plastic and not comfortable to hold like the original handle.
                            I bought a handle like the original, there are several different styles available, so ensure the handle is for T12 not T13.
                            I can't compare to a KSGER but I've been very happy with the Bakon, far better than my old iron where the tips fit over the heating element.

Comment

there are threads about the bakon, i use one.
                              T12 handles are cheap - about the same cost as the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                stay away from combined units.

if your in the u.s. then Luis Rossmann has good hot-air stations from Atten that he reviewed on his utube - better than the quick.
                                i'll post a link later
                                I have watched his videos regarding hot air stations, I absolutely trust his endorsements

Comment

I have a Hakko FX888D and a T12 clone. I love them both. Also my hot air station is a basic cheapo and it works fine for hobby purposes.

Amazon has the Bakon clone for $30 everyone is talking about https://www.amazon.com/SEALODY-Digit.../dp/B07ZCTM3CV

I would heavily favor something with T12 or T15 compatibility. The direct heating technology is the way to go.
                                  Last edited by jayjr1105; 09-27-2020, 01:46 PM.
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Ryzen 3600x
                                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                                  FX-8802 Iron
                                  MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Working...
                                  X