Samsung plasma - flashing standby light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung plasma - flashing standby light

The TV is a 2013 Samsung plasma, model # PN60F5300AFXZA.

Snagged it up in non-working condition a couple years ago. Previous owner said that sometimes he could get it to come on after repeated tries but other than that he couldn't get it to turn on.

Personally I haven't been able to get it to turn on at all. The standby light comes on solid when plugged in, but pressing the power button results in the standby light flashing once every 4 or so seconds. No "click" noises, no light from the panel at all. Just the flashing standby light.

No visible cracks in the panel so I started by pulling out the power board and checking voltages. Everything seemed within spec. VA was 56.7v and VS was 212v, but I have no idea if those numbers are good because I haven't yet identified the table on the board itself or a service manual.

EDIT: Found the table on the back. It says VS should be 200-215v and VA should be 54-62v, so my readings (212v and 56.7v) were within range.

I replaced all but the biggest 3 or so capacitors as well but nothing has changed--it still does the flashing standby light.

Hopefully it doesn't need a new main board since buying a replacement at ~$150 wouldn't be worth it. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 7ony; 08-31-2020, 05:31 PM.

Re: Samsung plasma - flashing standby light

Search the forum with your model, there are other threads about this, If you are getting the VS and VA, the power supply is ok and likely the mainboard is also ok (if bad the tv would likely not turn the PS on) You could have a bad Ysus or bad buffer board

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Search the forum with your model, there are other threads about this, If you are getting the VS and VA, the power supply is ok and likely the mainboard is also ok (if bad the tv would likely not turn the PS on)
      Hi, R_J. Thanks for the reply.

How can I be sure that the mainboard is turning on the PS? When I did voltage testing, I had the power board removed from the TV completely and I just jumped the PS_ON pin to ground, and before I checked VA and VS voltage, I jumped the Vs_ON pin to 5.3v. I never checked voltage with the power board hooked up inside the TV because I couldn't access the pins once everything was hooked back up.

Though, with the power board installed, there is a green LED light on the mainboard that flashes along with the standby light.

Comment

If your y main looks like this one, replace this capacitor. It's a 10uf 50v.
        Last edited by tvtimmy; 09-01-2020, 03:04 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
          If your y main looks like this one
          maybe it's my browser but I'm not seeing any images

Comment

I missed the "pulled the power supply and checked the voltages". You could check the PS-ON voltage with the mainboard connected, and see if it changes when the power button is pressed, Can you access J875 on the power supply board?
            I believe there are 3 blue 10µf/50v caps that need to be changed on this Ysus board, I don't remeber which ones they are, tvtimmy likely knows which ones they are.
            One might be C5162?
            Last edited by R_J; 09-01-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Is this the y-main cap (106 at C5162) everyone is referring to (in this thread and this one and this one)?

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...CT-ND/12760769

EDIT: no, that is definitely the wrong part. I didn't notice that it was surface mount.

I'm not seeing ceramic caps on digikey that are 10uf at 50v. Would it be a bad idea to swap it out for an electrolytic cap?

EDIT 2: I was in the wrong section. Looks like there are plenty of 10uf 50v ceramic caps

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=1&pageSize=25
              Last edited by 7ony; 09-01-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

You could check the PS-ON voltage with the mainboard connected, and see if it changes when the power button is pressed, Can you access J875 on the power supply board?
                Yes, I found J875 and checked the voltage in standby mode and while pressing the power button. In standby it read about 3.2v, and when I hit the power button, it jumped up to 67.6v.

Comment

Originally posted by 7ony View Post
                  Yes, I found J875 and checked the voltage in standby mode and while pressing the power button. In standby it read about 3.2v, and when I hit the power button, it jumped up to 67.6v.
                  I doubt that it jumped up to 67.6v, likely down to 67.6 millivolts. Is your meter autoranging?
                  Last edited by R_J; 09-01-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I doubt that it jumped up to 67.6v, likely down to 67.6 millivolts. Is your meter autoranging?
                    Yes, you're right. I didn't notice that the meter display switched from V to mV. Now the true level of my noobness has been exposed.

Comment

Oops, here is the picture.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                        Oops, here is the picture.
                        Thanks. I just ordered 10 of these replacements: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...465-ND/2815395

Comment

Hi,

If you replaced the 10uF caps and still the cpu board drops all voltages after 2-3 sec upon power-up, you most likely have a (few) Y-buffer chips dead. These chips work with 12V but their ground is actually at -200vdc. The DIP8 and 10uF does the regulation for the "positive" supply (-190V?), called Vsch by Samsung.

Y-Buffer chips may die shorted and the CPU will power-down all voltages (your case?) or die open (inoperative lines on the screen).

Check this video for testing Y-Buffer boards for shorts :
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw0_wFwbij4

Chips are generally available on Aliexpress but the PCBs are so bad quality your soldering skills have to make up for it!

As always, if I say crap please correct me.

Cheers,

Curve514

Comment

Just wanted to post an update for anyone else who might come across this thread in a search... I got the panel working (it looks amazing) and it turned out to be the ceramic cap in the picture posted by tvtimmy.

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X