Supermicro curse strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Supermicro curse strikes again

Scored 2 of the chips for $11.25 a pop...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I reviewed one a decade ago: http://www.techspot.com/old-articles...ur/index.shtml

Same site that sent them for review still sells them, the specific one you need is not in stock though...
      http://www.eksitdata.com/_uk/index.asp
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

makes me want to try to reverse engineer it... I bet the proof is in the code though .

Damn.
        sigpic

Comment

This post is being made from the 80-dollar SM wonder I scored. Just going to leave it alive and as-is for now...looking to score a Supermicro X6DA3-G2, which supports the Paxville pair I've got on hand along with the 16GB of DDR2 I've got as well. I had this in a Precision 470, but for some reason that thing has gotten really quirky and unstable, and I'm tired of messing with it.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DA3-G2.cfm
          The cheapest I can seem to find one is 500 bucks right now....stupid price for something that old....eventually one will crop up for cheap....and when it does, I've got the matching SM case for it to go in. This is the most workstation-oriented board SM makes that supports these processors. Just another fun and unique build, the Paxville S604 was very few and far between.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Waaaa?

That's hot! *sweats* lol

Though I actually derped once while soldering and did that once with a hot iron when I went to put it down with the other hand. Needless to say, very nice burn line for that one for many months.

As for supermicro, I have one of such boards as a backup (H8SMi-2) that held up fine for the most part without issues. It has since fallen out of use in a short period during a board RMA as a stand in for only a couple weeks. I do say though they seem to be pretty damn well capped aside from it all with Sanyo WX, Panasonic Os-Con SEP/SEPC's, and a lone pair of UCC KY's.
            Last edited by chozo4; 09-30-2014, 11:53 PM.
            Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Gah! More off topic bull!

---

Chip came in, I installed it really quick, booted up just fine. She's alive again. Once my two blankies come in, I'll try hotflashing them into clones, and then I shall retry SLIC'ing them into awesomeness.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Gah! More off topic bull!
                The boss OK'd it.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

so where does the supermicro curse come from anyhow?
                  they seem to be on the better end of the spectrum.at least in my experience.

Comment

It's a joke... I hope
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      so where does the supermicro curse come from anyhow?
                      they seem to be on the better end of the spectrum.at least in my experience.
                      There is no Supermicro Curse. The Title should have read "Ratdude747 Screwed up Again and is blaming it on Supermicro".

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                        There is no Supermicro Curse. The Title should have read "Ratdude747 Screwed up Again and is blaming it on Supermicro".
                        It was a bleeping joke. Somebody piss in your coffee?
                        sigpic

Comment

Bad news:

Same issue as before, (most of the time) hangs when the full 8GB is put in. Using a spare set of 8GB produces the same result.

I did find that this time, diabling ECC "fixes" the issue on occassion, when it doesn't there are noticable video errors and/or hangs. I did re-flash the latest BIOS just to be sure. I also disabled what I could in BIOS and tried a different GPU, which confirmed the failure.

IDK why the X5DAE chip made it work... it looks like the board is a goner (as I don't fully trust it even with less RAM even if it boots OK). I almost wonder if something went while it was in storage awaiting a fresh BIOS chip... this makes no sense. I may try my spare CPUs at a later date but this doesn't seem like a CPU issue.

What sucks is now I have an EATX board without a case and an ATX case (along with the one the other dead SM was in) without a board... as other than really old shit (p4 s478 gamer boy garbage) I have nothing decent as a spare (that's not EATX).

I've failed your old board topcat. Main rig 2.5 is a goner.
                          sigpic

Comment

It was a bleeping joke. Somebody piss in your coffee?
                            What's a joke? the thread? your lame attempt to blame Supermicro? the money you have spent trying to fix your blunder?

Yes I agree these are all a joke, and I don't drink coffee nor do I drink anything with piss in it, I'll leave that to you if that's how you take it.

Comment

I did see this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-...item4adcf7ad0f

But it seems TOTALLY denutted. will only go up to 4GB DDR, albeit at a faster 333Mhz (makes my 2GB modules useless). No PCI-X (not that the system uses it anymore). In fact I'd not need anything but my GPU...

Anybody know if they were any good... if so I may lowball an offer and retire the x5DAL (and move the parts I have over).

edit- won't do ECC ram from what I read. What a fucking joke. I'll pass, fuck you ASUS.
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                What's a joke? the thread? your lame attempt to blame Supermicro? the money you have spent trying to fix your blunder?

Yes I agree these are all a joke, and I don't drink coffee nor do I drink anything with piss in it, I'll leave that to you if that's how you take it.
                                The title is a joke. All I intended to mean by a "curse" is "I've not had the best luck with supermicro lately, which seems very odd". I think they make great products, I've just had a bad rash it seems.
                                sigpic

Comment

Bad news:

Same issue as before, (most of the time) hangs when the full 8GB is put in. Using a spare set of 8GB produces the same result.

(
                                  Sounds like maybe a solder joint that needs to be redone or a wet electrolytic cap went bad.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Looks like the chipset went... if we go back to right after I flashed the modded bios, it booted OK, then locked up. Which makes me think either the chipset randomly failed then or the mod went wonky and made the chipset fry itself.

If I had an EATX case I'd make a new rig from the X5DAE. Idk what I'd do about a HDD (since it has no SATA) but I have all the stuff, a Really good GPU (two of them actually, both latter generation AGP), good PSU, RAM (8GB is all I'd need, but I bet I could get 4GB more for peanuts), and hell good everything else that fits the platform.

But damn EATX cases are a bastard to obtain.

Likewise, I can't find any decent deals on ATX 604 boards that are worth a shit (the wannabe ASUS doesn't count).

So shit, what do I do, part it out? I feel lonely, I'm down to one working desktop (the EATX K8WE build) and a pile of laptops.
                                    sigpic

Comment

^
                                      That board served well. There are untold hours on that board, as it ran 24/7/365 from 2003-2010. SM boards are tough, but not indestructible.

I'm working on something, if it pans out, you can have the X5DAL-G board out of the SM case I posted earlier in the thread, as I won't have any use for it.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        ^
                                        That board served well. There are untold hours on that board, as it ran 24/7/365 from 2003-2010. SM boards are tough, but not indestructible.

I'm working on something, if it pans out, you can have the X5DAL-G board out of the SM case I posted earlier in the thread, as I won't have any use for it.
                                        Ok.

Likewise, What I can find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7uOxoCAZjw_wcB

(best EATX deal I've seen so far, but out of budget until I sell some shit)

Yup, No EATX case for me any time soon.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          ^

If that X5DAL-G includes 2 of any speed processors with heat sinks and fans and any amount of memory then I would like to buy it from you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X