No announcement yet.

What's your favorite internet browser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite internet browser?

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    der Google pays ABP to let certain things through. The sheep will deny this, since someone claims to "do no evil," but the non-sheep see right through the bullshit...
    Not correct. It depends on which database you use, and there are several. They also snuck in a little checkbox on the filters page that says 'allow some non-intrusive advertising'....and they conveniently have that ticked.... ...but if you're using a good filters list/database and have that bypass checkbox unticked, I see zero ads.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

See cappy. Also note multiple, pre-deduped "revisions" of hosts files.

Isn't a hosts file so much better than "loading shit, then hiding shit?" I speak of none other than AdUnBlock Minus.

der Google pays ABP to let certain things through. The sheep will deny this, since someone claims to "do no evil," but the non-sheep see right through the bullshit...
      woah a host file on windows! i thought that was UNIX....
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        woah a host file on windows! i thought that was UNIX....
        It's been possible since Win95! Doesn't XP look sooo much more professional w/ all the kiddie shit turned off?

Your sig appears to be experiencing "increased solar activity."
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

It's been possible since Win95! Doesn't XP look sooo much more professional w/ all the kiddie shit turned off?

Your sig appears to be experiencing "increased solar activity."
          Oh i thought that was 2k lol

I found that sig and couldnt resist
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Oh i thought that was 2k lol
            Isn't XP, by default, 2k with a horribly regressive, ugly "theme?"

I like the XP default theme almost as much as you like "Tiles," if ya know what I mean.

I found that sig and couldnt resist
            Yep, fitting. Especially since it's gonna be a little "stormy" for a while...
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I can't say that I have a favorite browser, but I use Firefox.
              Anything uses fewer resources than FailureFox!

Even IdiotExploder 6 is less demanding, at least til malware takes it over!
              IE 7 and 8 use more resources. IE 9 has some serious issues with Flash, so enabling Flash causes it to use over 1GB of RAM. Even Firefox is better than that. I haven't had any problems with Firefox using too many resources, but there is some mystery process that doesn't show up in Task Manager and uses up most of my computer's RAM for no reason. Firefox can only use about 200MB of RAM after that. It doesn't help that my computer gets ridiculously slow once more than half of its RAM is used and it only has 4GB of RAM. Chrome has about 30% CPU usage for some reason. I really should try Iron.
              Isn't a hosts file so much better than "loading shit, then hiding shit?" I speak of none other than AdUnBlock Minus.
              Yes, it is. My hosts file is only 553KB, though.

Comment

I stopped the clock at Firefox version 20.0, above that version all the others are forcing the user to change his habits by forcing tab browsing.

Therefore I am in total denial to follow this train any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                  I stopped the clock at Firefox version 20.0, above that version all the others are forcing the user to change his habits by forcing tab browsing.

I love tabbed browsing a bit much. Far too often I find myself with 20+ tabs open at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    Not correct. It depends on which database you use, and there are several. They also snuck in a little checkbox on the filters page that says 'allow some non-intrusive advertising'....and they conveniently have that ticked....
                    All advertising is intrusive, by its very definition. And having to "opt-out" isn't doing business honestly as far as I'm concerned.

...but if you're using a good filters list/database and have that bypass checkbox unticked, I see zero ads.
                    Never mind "see zero ads." Loading-then-hiding is something dumb AOL users do. With a hosts file, you get zero ads. My how we've fallen from running a tight ship, like back in the dial-up days...

It didn't help that it was poorly implemented. I think Iron has the best/most intuitive tab system. Each tab is right at the top, not "snuck" in there as with failurefox.

I also have a little problem with that so-called non-profit outfit. Such as how they get their funding, "preferred searches," "desktop marketing," etc. Almost like what M$ did with IE back in the day.

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    IE 9 has some serious issues with Flash, so enabling Flash causes it to use over 1GB of RAM.
                    IE 9 has some serious issues in general. I could start with M$ and FF copying each other's layout. Or if you prefer, "whoring out" to each other.

Even Firefox is better than that. I haven't had any problems with Firefox using too many resources, but there is some mystery process that doesn't show up in Task Manager and uses up most of my computer's RAM for no reason. Firefox can only use about 200MB of RAM after that. It doesn't help that my computer gets ridiculously slow once more than half of its RAM is used and it only has 4GB of RAM. Chrome has about 30% CPU usage for some reason. I really should try Iron.
                    Run away cache combined with poor R/W algo, insisting on using system RAM instead of /cache directory?

Delete "gears.dll" before you run Iron. It's a little leftover from google.

My hosts file is only 553KB, though.
                    It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it!
                    Last edited by kaboom; 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM.
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Chrome I like been watched
                      My pc
                      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                        Chrome I like been watched
                        That sounds fun LOL

Comment

Pale Moon, a lightened for speed, no-nonsense, Firefox-based browser.

Comment

All advertising is intrusive, by its very definition. And having to "opt-out" isn't doing business honestly as far as I'm concerned.
                            Not all ads are intrusive per say.....but I agree with you about the opt-out. You install an ad blocker to not see ads, not for the ad blocker to selectively choose your ads until you go in and disable it....but your claim that ABP lets things through because google paid them is bunk....unless you're using a filters list prepared/approved by google and don't have that checkbox unticked that ABP so sneakily put in there....but I also agree with you that the hosts file is the best (but most pain in the butt) way to truly block ads.

What hosts list are you using or did you take forever and make your own....
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
                              I love tabbed browsing a bit much. Far too often I find myself with 20+ tabs open at one time.
                              Same here on chrome/chromium.

Not all ads are intrusive per say.....but I agree with you about the opt-out. You install an ad blocker to not see ads, not for the ad blocker to selectively choose your ads until you go in and disable it....but your claim that ABP lets things through because google paid them is bunk....unless you're using a filters list prepared/approved by google and don't have that checkbox unticked that ABP so sneakily put in there....but I also agree with you that the hosts file is the best (but most pain in the butt) way to truly block ads.
                              The idea IIRC was to allow ads from place who you wish to receive ad revenue. A lot of youtube producers are paid based on how many ad views, and more if they aren't skipped after 5 s, and even more yet if the link is clicked. Thus, one may wan to enable ads for certain YT channels as a way of paying (but IMHO subbable is a better option).
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

But what is wrong with tabs? Personally, I think it's the best feature to come to any browser.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  But what is wrong with tabs? Personally, I think it's the best feature to come to any browser.
                                  When your Internet browser is for you valuable as extension of your true work space, you do get mad when any one foreigner messing with it.

Technically speaking .. Tab browsing is the proof that some worthless Firefox programers failed to stop the monster from using 200 Megs of RAM in a single window, and they end up with this poor Tab trick.

Comment

When your Internet browser is for you valuable as extension of your true work space, you do get mad when any one foreigner messing with it.

Technically speaking .. Tab browsing is the proof that some worthless Firefox programers failed to stop the monster from using 200 Megs of RAM in a single window, and they end up with this poor Tab trick.
                                    They're more interested in making FF be "all things to all people." It never ends well.

Actually, along those lines, I've got something else to add.

"Firefox optimization" is an oxymoron. They've lost it back with FF4, some would say FF3. Yet, even with all the "look at me" features, there's still the small issue of a large memory leak somewhere.

"Oh, it's the extensions!" Sorry, but an bad extension shouldn't nuke FF any more than a bad file/filter plugin should nuke Cool Edit Pro.
                                    Last edited by kaboom; 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM.
                                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Regardless of any one browser's performance, I find that tabbed browsing is actually a lot nicer than cluttering up my taskbar with piles of browser buttons as I used to do with IE6, though.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                        Regardless of any one browser's performance, I find that tabbed browsing is actually a lot nicer than cluttering up my taskbar with piles of browser buttons as I used to do with IE6, though.
                                        Since day one that Firefox came out people made a choice of using it or not due the below main factors.
                                        a) user friendly
                                        b) performance
                                        c) safe

This translates that you do not not change anything on it ... because the people like it as is.

I have make hard work over the years to organize 400 bookmarks, passwords list, few very productive plug-in.
                                        The web browser for me is a valuable tool, who cares for generic browsing on the internet ? there is lots other browsers doing that.

Comment

"Firefox optimization" is an oxymoron. They've lost it back with FF4, some would say FF3. Yet, even with all the "look at me" features, there's still the small issue of a large memory leak somewhere.
                                          After downloading like an idiot 60 or more updated versions of it I will agree with you.
                                          Firefox 3.0 was had an even friendlier GUI.

But they manage to kill their child by all this nonsense scripts loaded in all social media ..... Your browser is outdated ... download the latest shit so to stop watching this nag screen.

And all the game is about loading on the browser hidden engines that sends information's to websites regarding the cookies of your browser.

Yes I am feeling totally safe those days, when my browser does such great job about retransmitting all my tracks on the internet to unknown sources.

Comment

Working...
                                          X