Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    was a reference to the M$ pricing/forcing problem. They keep pushing garbage, because it's '98 and no other options exist. "Of course they'll pay us $750 for M$ Offi$e. What are they gonna do, use ClarisWorks?" (In it's defense, CW wasn't as bad as some say.) And FrontPageExpressOfDoom- the only way to, um, author anything! Quaint and cute- FrontPageExpress. More like ScriptKiddieExpress. And IE- da best browsah in d world!

Get off it, microsoft. You aren't the only game in town anymore. You didn't get it with Xb0ne, right? Win8 should only wreck you...
    I have to agree there tooo....I LOL everytime I see a MS Surface commercial during a football game (the only time I will actually watch that big black brainwash box)....they're really pushing what they keep referring to as "the new windows".....it will do a bellyflop worse than Vista and ME combined..... Back when ME and vista flopped, MS overwhelmingly controlled the marketshare. That isn't the case today, so I say again...MS discontinuing Win7 to the OEM's for preloads was a massive shot in the foot for MS.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Back when ME and vista flopped, MS overwhelmingly controlled the marketshare. That isn't the case today, so I say again...MS discontinuing Win7 to the OEM's for preloads was a massive shot in the foot for MS.
      You better believe it. Though they act otherwise, almost more arrogant than they were back then, except maybe for IE.

People have been "saving up" for this since WinME. Yes, smartphones aren't for everyone, but just look at how people have left, not computers, but microsoft.

It's not going to be crapple who capitalizes here, they're acting like a DRM'ed, closed, late 90's MS. Besides, they've already got the "phoney tablet" market with their $800+ "eye-pads." Sorry, I haven't been punched in the face lately...

So, who does that leave?
      (Hint: "The Sergey [sp] problem.")
      Last edited by kaboom; 12-11-2013, 11:45 PM.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Linux sounds better every time I hear about Windows 8 and "Metro". As for Macs, iPhones and iPads, leave those for the click-everything idiots already out there, leave desktop computers to people who know how to use them.

That said, the biggest rort of the computing world is still mobile phones. Charging umpteen dollars with download plans ranging from a few hundred megabytes to 1-2 gigs, while being charged extra for each megabyte over, really? Are we in 1994? Also, why are still being charged money for sending/receiving tiny, 160 byte SMS text messages? We (PC users) never had to pay a cent to send someone a message through MSN/ICQ/AIM/IRC or anything else. I don't think I will even have a mobile phone by 2050. People are brain-dead, clueless sheep, and the mobile phone market knows they can get away with murder. Phone companies would charge you for pressing each number/button on the keypad if they could.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          ... does anyone else hate that retarded Taskbar grouping feature in Windows XP, Vista, and 7 besides me?
          Yesterday I was helping a friend of mine with a lab, so I told him we needed to open a bunch of data sheets on the computer to make things easier. We were using his laptop (he has Windows 7 and Aero enabled). The thing is, after opening so many data sheets, the stupid crap starts to group them together, and then finding what you need starts to take a lot of time and takes a lot more clicks than needed. It's especially annoying when you're doing this 5 in the morning without having gotten any sleep and knowing a project is due (in this case, his project was due... I did mine last semester and passed easily).
          Right click on W7 taskbar => Properties => Taskbar Buttons : Never Combine

I can live with the grouping, but what I can't stand is the miniature views popping up everytime you accidentally hover over the taskbar icons in W7 . So I use this little program to disable the popping up until you click on. Does the same on the 'Show Desktop' button.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            "Dumbphones" aren't really as freeing as former-PC users think they are.

I did a major upgrade recently from a Sony Ericson V600 to K800i with 3.2Mp camera plus auto-focus !!
            Deleted all GPRS profiles in it, and now it is disarmed and useful. LOL

If every device looks similar to PC computing, life would be far more boring.

Comment

Meh, even though XP is still an awesome and useful OS it has been eclipsed by Win7.

Time to let it die.

Comment

I remember someone saying that XP won't activate anymore after support ends. Is that true? If it is, I know of a laptop with a really small and slow hard drive that I'll have to upgrade before support ends. Even if it ends up not running XP, that 15GB 4200RPM hard drive needs to go.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                  I remember someone saying that XP won't activate anymore after support ends. Is that true? If it is, I know of a laptop with a really small and slow hard drive that I'll have to upgrade before support ends. Even if it ends up not running XP, that 15GB 4200RPM hard drive needs to go.
                  I read that the online activation will no longer work, but phone activation will continue regardless. I do not know how true this is though.....
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I read that the online activation will no longer work, but phone activation will continue regardless. I do not know how true this is though.....
                    I have converted most of my computers to windows XP Pro OEM editions. Should not be much problems with activation ahter the cut-off date.

Comment

I really don't think activation will be a problem....that opens a serious legal issue, denying someone use of a product they paid for..... While MS may no longer have to support it, they can't really deny its use by legitimate license holders.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

they can't really deny its use by legitimate license holders.
                        They have or trying to force a fee of 100$ per by phone activation.
                        Is it a fact ? They wanted to see how the customers will react? I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                          They have or trying to force a fee of 100$ per by phone activation.
                          Is it a fact ? They wanted to see how the customers will react? I do not know.
                          Thought you were joking, but then I read this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-34c541f88fa4

Tony Soprano would love the scheme .

Please remember this uncertainty and defenselesness whenever you're tempted to bite the bait and embrace 'the cloud' ...

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                            Thought you were joking, but then I read this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-34c541f88fa4

Tony Soprano would love the scheme .

Please remember this uncertainty and defenselesness whenever you're tempted to bite the bait and embrace 'the cloud' ...
                            Its a crock. I activated an XP installation by phone just last week. It was business as usual, nothing has changed.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                              And that's why they call it the "cloud" - because it's nothing more than just a bunch of air and water vapor. I mean, just trying walking over one .

Comment

Comment

With your data on the cloud, you'll surely be "blown away!"
                                  "Security" and "features" so great, you'd think you were in Oz...

Attached Files
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                  Originally posted by shango066
                                  All style and no substance.
                                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Its a crock. I activated an XP installation by phone just last week. It was business as usual, nothing has changed.

Yes the EOL date is not here yet.

Comment

I mean c'mon... If MS website is saying that it will not affect the activation, why the hell would anybody ever read other blogs, read alternative opinions and shit? And then stress about that??

MS SAYS THAT IT WILL NOT BE CHANGED.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                                        Yes the EOL date is not here yet.
                                        Activation should not be a problem. I don't think windows update will even stop working. While no new patches and fixes will be available, all the current ones will still be indefinitely available for download. I think windows update even still works on win2k. I did one about 6 months ago, it still got updates.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

^^Yup, I even did a NT4, granted it was maybe 5 years ago but that was still way out of that OS support date...
                                          And about the whining about another Service Pack for XP, no chance.
                                          A new service pack automatically extends the support of the OS by 24 months, and MS have already extended XP support far longer than they said initially.
                                          (The normal lifetime of a Windows OS is 10 years)

What could be released is a rollup package, like what was released for Windows 2000 (Instead of service pack 5)

I'm more shocked that it looks like there wont be a service pack 2 for Windows 7, now that is some real bullshit!
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X