Why do some PSUs squeal / buzz / whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do some PSUs squeal / buzz / whine?

Why do some PSUs make a high pitched squeal / buzz / whine?

Is it always the transformer which makes the noise or can the capacitors also make the noise?

I've heard it referred to as "Capacitor Squeal" before, but then people say it's actually the transformer coils causing harmonic resonance because they're loose or the because the frequency is off.

Could a failing cap alter frequency & create harmonic resonance in a transformer?

If this is the case why do some PSUs that are brand new make squealing noises?

I've read accounts on different forums of even brand new high end PSUs like SS X series or Platinum having a high pitched squeal or ringing. Surely a brand new PSU wouldn't have failing capacitors.

I've also read posts where people say it can be dependent on the motherboard/video card(s)/hard drive(s) it's attached to. That the PSU could make a high pitched noise while connected to one setup but not another. Is there some sort of electric feedback involved where this could actually be the true?

The last hypothesis I've read about is the PSU getting "dirty power". That there's power noise in the outlet the PSU is plugged into. I'm not sure if a power conditioner would be practical in that case, especially with a high wattage PSU. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a UPS does any power conditioning; so most PSUs only have their own transient filtering to rely on.

But again, high end PSUs have still been known to have a squeal; & they usually have good transient filtering (compared to cheaper PSUs at least). It also wouldn't explain why the same person may not have squeal with another PSU.

Re: Why do some PSUs squeal / buzz / whine?

New PSU buzzing = loose coil winding vibrating = manufacturing mistake.
    I can put text here?!

Comment

New psu buzzing/squealing = bad engineering design OR bad parts

bad engineering design can include improper loading for the design being used. Bad parts can include variations between manufacturers.......engineer used parts made by one company but production models have parts made by another company.

And finally, I don't hear most squealing. As we age our high frequency hearing goes away. So if you don't like the squealing, just wait a while!
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

If they are designed to operate at an audiable frequency - which is extremely rare these days - then you will hear a squeal.

Other than that, if the psu has bad capacitors, or if there is a fault in the engineering of the psu, then it will have oscillations at lower frequencies, from being unstable.

The whine and hum you hear from transformers is made by magnetostriction, basically, the magnetic parts expanding and contracting ever so slightly. You can hear this in mains frequency transformers, as a hum sound.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

What you are hearing is the transformer laminations. The metal plates are not bound tight enough when rivited together.
          Ltank

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
            What you are hearing is the transformer laminations. The metal plates are not bound tight enough when rivited together.
            Ltank
            Switch mode PSU don't have metal laminations. Most noise is caused by either bad fan bearings or toroids operating at resonant frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
              Most noise is caused by either bad fan bearings or toroids operating at resonant frequencies.
              Yeah... they call it "coil whine" for a reason.

Comment

When I removed the capacitor (sometimes with a resistor in series) between the Reference and Cathode of a TL431 feedback element during a test, the power supply (and the TL431) oscillates with a sound from the magnetics.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                  When I removed the capacitor (sometimes with a resistor in series) between the Reference and Cathode of a TL431 feedback element during a test, the power supply (and the TL431) oscillates with a sound from the magnetics.
                  That capacitor is for compensation, and when the PSU isn't compensated, it gets unstable and has oscillations at lower audible frequencies.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                    That capacitor is for compensation, and when the PSU isn't compensated, it gets unstable and has oscillations at lower audible frequencies.
                    once again.......bad design OR improper loading
                    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Strangely, I had a PC PSU that seems to buzz at AC mains frequency!

And/or the case would buzz at what seemed to be the AC frequency!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                      X