Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
    Yes and your product needs also the blessings of the European Union and other large markets to to walk in.

If those guys in Brussels start getting wild, MS will loose their smile and their pockets will become so lightweight which will never forget it.

If Russia and China follow that path too, the former MS employes would start sleeping in the house of Bill and they will use also his toilet.
    Completely agree with you

I've been through both interface changes myself (3.x's Progman to 9x-7's explorer and the latest one), I remember resisting switching to 9x until 98SE came along and setting that up to use progman as its shell at first - I only started using explorer with win2k and didn't use XP til sometime after SP3...

This time around I got win8 as soon as it went gold, I'm now running 8.1 on my main desktop machines (my laptop is 7 and the work one is XP).

I've got used to it now and find every excuse to avoid the start screen wherever possible though I do find the search function in there is fairly good for locating files sometimes!

There are applications where XP is best and I'm guessing that a lot of the people on these boards who (like me to some extent) like to reuse and repair older hardware would agree that it's the best option for such machines?

Hell, I have machines out there running fairly critical software (access control and the like) that are still on 98se, I have CCTV recorders running Win2k and XP simply because the software won't run on anything later!

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
      running Win2k and XP simply because the software won't run on anything later!
      Many pages back we have discus this subject.

When software writers as Adobe require 1000$ for a license of Photoshop or 3000$ to 10000$ for a CNC cutter software, or one kitchen planing designing software.
      All those companies they should become as Mad first, because Microsoft is actually killing their clients base, and forces them to waste more resources about making their software compatible.

This argument with MS has nothing to do about personal taste.
      There is a huge quantity of hypocrisy behind that group which called as software makers.
      They are tremendously greedy for money, they get the second place after the bankers.

Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        but it didn't mention anything about SVCHOST specifically...
        Spend over 20 min in MS website, no info either.
        Only old threads mentioning the problem.

Basically my web design software which handling ITTSB, when saving my work before exit, it takes over a minute.
        The news gave me the hope that possibly this issue it could be helped, other than that my system runs great.

A software called as Advanced SystemCare 7 it did speed up my box with out destroying it.
        I am using it over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
          If some one discovers the exact KBxxxxx of this fix, just post a link.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          If it has to be one that came out last week, then this is it:
          support.microsoft.com/kb/2914368

I checked the detailed information about it, but it didn't mention anything about SVCHOST specifically...
          There is none, this was a server side fix.
          The clients don't need to do anything for it to work.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Actually, I liked the way Vista functioned. *ducks the flying chairs* It was just a horrible bloated memory hogging mess. Then came 7, and the game of 'wheres waldo' with functions and features....
            Actually, I agree with you on that. Despite being a bit more buggy, I find my way in Vista a little faster than I do in 7. Still not using either of these, though.

Originally posted by stretch0069
            The problem is work. They upgraded all our PCs to Win7. Now crap in the classrooms doesn't work right. You can't copy to the Public Desktop....and our "IT" people don't help the situation AT ALL.
            You should see our university's PCs - they are completely useless. Can't even change the resolution, even though each user has his/her own profile. I really don't see why they blocked this option out. Also, except for the stnadard cut/copy/paste, Ctrl+Alt+Del, and Ctrl+Shift+Escape shortcuts, other shortcuts do NOT work at all. Not even the Windows key itself! - Which annoys me to no end since I regularly use shortcuts for just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Actually, I agree with you on that. Despite being a bit more buggy, I find my way in Vista a little faster than I do in 7. Still not using either of these, though.
              This message typed from an XP64 machine...
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

you mean you typed it from an XP64 machine? or this site records your user agent string and you dug up that info out of your mySQL database that he/she uses XP64?
                Last edited by goontron; 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^
                  Don't make me fire up my Windows 2000 box!!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

^
                    Don't make me fire up my Windows 2000 box!!
                    oh yeah!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by goontron; 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^
                      It's A/S....old retired server.... If I power it up now, it *might* be booted and at the login screen by morning.....slow bootin' son of a bitch....but a freight train none the less!! it's a quad p3 xeon @500 2GB RAM....the old cartridge xeons....they're the size of a VHS cassette!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

^
                        It's A/S....old retired server.... If I power it up now, it *might* be booted and at the login screen by morning.....slow bootin' son of a bitch....but a freight train none the less!! it's a quad p3 xeon @500 2GB RAM....the old cartridge xeons....they're the size of a VHS cassette!
                        Sweet classic rig. IIRC those would be Tanner Xeons (or was that gen 2 PII xeon , the first was Drake), based off the PIII katmai running on slot 2. I wish I had one of those to play with (or at least another EATX case to toss some Old opteron boards in). Must make a good headless server...

I don't know why but I think old server/workstation hardware is pretty cool (hence why I built two main rigs out of it!)
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well I am posting this from a 850 MHz Pentium 3 PC with 384 MB of RAM, Windows XP SP2, and IE6 with custom hosts file. I've been doing that all this winter break (so almost every post I made in the last 2-3 weeks has been from this computer).

Badcaps works great with IE6 and FF 3.6. Barely uses any RAM at all (save for one thread I landed on 2 days ago that had way-oversized inline images... they did scale, but before that happened, FF tried to use about 700 MB of RAM - so you can imagine the HDD trashing there).

it's a quad p3 xeon @500 2GB RAM....the old cartridge xeons....they're the size of a VHS cassette!
                          Must see that one!
                          Quad Pentium 3's sounds awesome. I have a dual Pentium 3 Coppermine rig (the HP NetServer E800). Uses an Asus CUR-DLS motherboard. I'm using it for the occasional torrent or large files backup storage.

Originally posted by ratdude747
                          I don't know why but I think old server/workstation hardware is pretty cool (hence why I built two main rigs out of it!)
                          One of the places where I interned for has a closet full of older Dell Precision 210/220 workstations. These things are rock-solid built. Their Dell BIOS is kind of quirky, though (well, just like any other Dell BIOS, I suppose). I gave one to a friend after asking my boss. Should have taken more. They are snappy with XP if you put a fast HDD in them.
                          Last edited by momaka; 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

You should see our university's PCs - they are completely useless. Can't even change the resolution, even though each user has his/her own profile. I really don't see why they blocked this option out...
                            The school I went to did the same. What's worse, they had 17" 1280x1024 monitors, but the resolution was set to 1024x768. The other really bad thing they had was the screen saver. It was basically a heap of photos of the school grounds in a slide show, but there was an information box in the bottom right hand corner of every picture, which was burned in to all of the CRT monitors.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well I am posting this from a 850 MHz Pentium 3 PC with 384 MB of RAM, Windows XP SP2, and IE6 with custom hosts file. I've been doing that all this winter break (so almost every post I made in the last 2-3 weeks has been from this computer).

Attached Files
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Nothing works with IE6 anymore for me. Google is all it takes to make it crash.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  Nothing works with IE6 anymore for me. Google is all it takes to make it crash.
                                  getfirefox ctrl+shift+enter (in address bar) works. I had to use that last week on one PC when Firefox decided that from now on it would do nothing but crash on load.

Comment

She's no longer in operation, shes been retired since 2007 when I pulled her out of one of the datacenters. I still have her here, and no plans to get rid of. Last time I had her fired up, she'd BSoD on occasion, never bothered troubleshooting. She's got 4x 146gb SCSI320 10k RPM HDD's in that SCA backplane. Shes a netfinity 7000.
                                    Couldn't you boot a live linux disc, recover data, and reinstall 2000?

Certainly nicer than my joke of a headless sever (intel VC820 in an old dell desktop case)... drool...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I would imagine that server is not very efficient... unlike the new toy that I got yesterday...

HP C3000 blade chassis, BL465 Gen 8 blades.

Per blade:

128gb DDR3
                                      2x AMD Opteron 6376 (16 core, 2.4ghz each)
                                      2x 300gb 10k SAS drives (RAID1, for Server 2012 OS running Hyper-V role)

Essentially our entire datacenter will be running on this once it's done. 50+ servers in 3 blades.

The SAN is supposed to be here today

Sorry for the thread hijack... I should go start my own.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

My only computer running XP died a while back. It won't boot from anything except a USB floppy drive. The hard drive has had hundreds of bad sectors for years, the only optical drive it can detect won't read any discs, and it freezes when booting from a USB flash drive.

My old computer still has IE4 and Netscape 4.06. It has no way to connect to the internet, so it doesn't matter. I might get the PCI riser board with the optional 10Mbps Ethernet controller installed.
                                        Last edited by lti; 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Well I am posting this from a 850 MHz Pentium 3 PC with 384 MB of RAM ...

Unless there is sadomasochism involved I'd max it up of RAM before the hard drive melts from the trashing.

This similar PIII dinosaur runs with disabled pagefile and yet can still browse with reasonable decency:

^ The ancient 440BX mobo is maxed out @ 3/4GB of RAM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X