Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
    Nothing works with IE6 anymore for me. Google is all it takes to make it crash.
    Badcaps.net has always worked gread with IE6. I can open many many windows and still be using.. oh... about 200 MB of RAM (unless someone has uploaded gigantic inline images over 5 MP).
    ... which is one of the many reasons I like this forum so much: it doesn't matter what hardware and software you have... almost anything that can connect to the internet will work with BCN.

YouTube semi-works with IE6. Plays video fine, but searching, posting, viewing related videos, and displaying comments do not work at all - but I don't care about these most of the time anyways. Once I find the video I want to watch in FF or Opera, I then pop a IE6 window and play it there. Reason being is that IE6 is very efficient with the memory. Useful when using my slightly more ancient computers.

Yahoo! mail works great, but only sometimes. Sometimes it won't load at all ("Page cannot be displayed" errors) and sometimes I get other useless warning messages that tend to annoy me. When it works, though, it's great - I get a HTML version of Yahoo that rusn lightning fast.

Originally posted by TELVM
    Unless there is sadomasochism involved I'd max it up of RAM before the hard drive melts from the trashing.
    HDD doesn't trash unless I land myself in a thread with 10+ inline images that are over 2xxx by 2xxx resolution. Viewing BCN and listening to music through YouTube, I'm usually right near the max at about 300-350 MB of RAM used.

And no, I can't max it out. Don't know what HP did in their infinite wisdom, but if I do max out the RAM to (a whopping) 512 MB, then I must loose ACPI capability .
    Last edited by momaka; 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

no flash crap to muck things up.i suspect flash/java is the cause of most old browser problems.
      Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Badcaps.net has always worked gread with IE6. I can open many many windows and still be using.. oh... about 200 MB of RAM (unless someone has uploaded gigantic inline images over 5 MP).
      ... which is one of the many reasons I like this forum so much: it doesn't matter what hardware and software you have... almost anything that can connect to the internet will work with BCN.

YouTube semi-works with IE6. Plays video fine, but searching, posting, viewing related videos, and displaying comments do not work at all - but I don't care about these most of the time anyways. Once I find the video I want to watch in FF or Opera, I then pop a IE6 window and play it there. Reason being is that IE6 is very efficient with the memory. Useful when using my slightly more ancient computers.

Yahoo! mail works great, but only sometimes. Sometimes it won't load at all ("Page cannot be displayed" errors) and sometimes I get other useless warning messages that tend to annoy me. When it works, though, it's great - I get a HTML version of Yahoo that rusn lightning fast.

HDD doesn't trash unless I land myself in a thread with 10+ inline images that are over 2xxx by 2xxx resolution. Viewing BCN and listening to music through YouTube, I'm usually right near the max at about 300-350 MB of RAM used.

And no, I can't max it out. Don't know what HP did in their infinite wisdom, but if I do max out the RAM to (a whopping) 512 MB, then I must loose ACPI capability .

Comment

One other thing I recently discovered is the issue of arcade machines running XP which have a network connection.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
          There is a huge quantity of hypocrisy behind that group which called as big motion picture companies and big record companies.
          They are tremendously greedy for money, they get the second place after the bankers.

I fixed that for you.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yahoo! mail works great, but only sometimes. Sometimes it won't load at all ("Page cannot be displayed" errors) and sometimes I get other useless warning messages that tend to annoy me. When it works, though, it's great - I get a HTML version of Yahoo that runs lightning fast.
            That's unacceptable for me. A browser must be able to display everything on the web every time I ask for it, otherwise, I won't even consider it.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              no flash crap to muck things up.i suspect flash/java is the cause of most old browser problems.

Pretty much.

Originally posted by c_hegge
              That's unacceptable for me. A browser must be able to display everything on the web every time I ask for it, otherwise, I won't even consider it.
              Good luck finding that browser. They all have issues with one thing or another. I keep a selection of everything now, just in case .

Comment

^
                Firefox. The latest versions always work perfectly every time for me.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

looks like there will still be virus definition updates until 2015
                  http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/vie...p?f=61&t=30370
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I extended the lifespan of XP on my office machine by tossing Server 2003 R2 on it......supported till July 2015....made good use of some free VLK's.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      I extended the lifespan of XP on my office machine by tossing Server 2003 R2 on it......supported till July 2015....made good use of some free VLK's.
                      good idea, whats the difference besides XP has a 10 user limit.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                        Some 2003 x32 versions allow 8GB of RAM...
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          oh ok. wait! M$ limits the amount of ram you can have?!?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

tangent
                            I tried server 2008 on my x5dal xeon system today (doesn't support 64). It has 4GB of ram in it, S2K8 sees it all, whereas XP only saw 3....
                            /tangent
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Basically nothing. Same code base, it just of course has server applications on it, such as IIS, domain controlling/AD, etc..... It is very tweakable for a desktop....also if you're experimenting with web design, its nice having IIS/web server @ localhost!!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

tangent
                                I tried server 2008 on my x5dal xeon system today (doesn't support 64). It has 4GB of ram in it, S2K8 sees it all, whereas XP only saw 3....
                                /tangent
                                tangent

you stilll run one of those too?

mine has 8gb /trumped /tangent
                                sigpic

Comment

tangent

you stilll run one of those too?

mine has 8gb /trumped /tangent
                                  resume tangent
                                  Yea, I have one left, I use it for experiments, just like this. I have another 4gb of ram, thanks for the idea!!
                                  /resuming tangent
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

oh ok. wait! M$ limits the amount of ram you can have?!?
                                    From XP SP2 onwards (XP SP1 was not limited) all 32bit client Windows are artificially capped to ~3.25GB max usable RAM, 'courtesy' of some code in the kernel ntkrlnpa.exe .

Interesting reading on the subject

... And no, I can't max it out. Don't know what HP did in their infinite wisdom, but if I do max out the RAM to (a whopping) 512 MB, then I must loose ACPI capability .
                                    That's a pity, I'd suggest swapping hardware to something that allows at least 1GB of RAM. Then create a small ramdisk (125~250MB) and install portable Firefox/PaleMoon entirely in the ramdisk. This provides a lightning quick browsing experience (RAM is an order of magnitude faster than any SSD/HDD drive).
                                    Last edited by TELVM; 01-29-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

resume tangent
                                      Yea, I have one left, I use it for experiments, just like this. I have another 4gb of ram, thanks for the idea!!
                                      /resuming tangent
                                      epic tangent assiest

Yeah, I wanted the W7 style aero, but w7 has the limit for x32 too... I PAE RAMdisked (via the gavotte tool and a registry mod) it to access the upper 4.8GB. I'll say, for x32, it kicks ass (but I maxed it out in nearly every way possible). Even with a newer system in use, I still run it for odd stuff and a spare.

/epic tangent assist
                                      sigpic

Comment

... but w7 has the limit for x32 too..

Attached Files

Comment

are those hacked somehow?

Comment

Working...
                                          X