Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
    I meant in the sense of usable RAM. It still shows 8GB, but (PAE manually enabled?) it says "8.0GB (3.25GB usable)." So there still is a "limit", just an artificial one. IIRC it was put there for the sake of legacy applcations that wouldn't like having more than 4GB of ram...

I like my solution better as IMHO it's a better use of the 8GB. All of my paging file goes there... and after that limit is used up, I have another 800MB remaining to use as self-cleaning temp area. Yes, it's unconventional... but for x32, I think it's a good setup.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
      are those hacked somehow?
      Yep, the kernel ntkrnlpa.exe needs a retouch to remove the RAM limiter. The proceeding for Vista/Se7en 32bit is explained in the link above and in more detail here and here (original in german).

There are also several downloadable 'patches' around the web that supposedly do it automatically (which I've never used).

Some degree of success can also be achieved on XP SP3 32bit.
      Last edited by TELVM; 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I have tried one of these x86 RAM hacks myself a few years ago, and it worked fine.
        Too bad some drivers don't work very well with such setup.

Comment

Yeah, typical Wintel:

... I agree, it IS a bug. If Microsoft shipped a fully-PAE-enabled 32-bit Windows kernel, Intel would have to support it! Just because Microsoft deliberately ignores, for no good reason, a feature that Intel built into their CPUs is no excuse for Intel to not support it. I have several devices that are not 64-bit compatible, but NONE of them ever gave me any problem whatsoever when I enabled PAE access to higher RAM , until I switched to an HD Graphics-enabled CPU.
          ... my GNU / Linux install runs perfectly with the Intel driver using a 32-bit PAE kernel.

Hence we arrive at two hypotheses

1-It is not a bug but a deliberate restriction on request or not to create friction with the Microsoft.

2-It is a bug and Intel just think that consumers have to adapt to other options.

... ... we are talking about millions of consumers who for various reasons (all valid) that need to use the 32 bit version of Vista/7/8 / with maximum RAM available by hardware.

What we have is a restriction of Microsoft O. S., for what reason it is, and we've proved it can be bypassed ...
          Dear Intel, please be logic with your drivers developement.

You have the PAE support on your linux and windows XP drivers, why don't support that whit the Seven drivers ?
          ... I do not understand why Intel just wants to create problems for their customers. They should fix this driver that is not compatible with Win 7 and Win 8 32 bit. Better to get rid of customers than of software bugs - a strange concept.
          Intel HD Graphics not compatible with RAM unlimited Windows 7

Comment

Back to the original topic, Today marks the end of an era for me. I've finally retired my parents PC, the last one in this house which ran XP, other than my seldom-used Thinkpad T61 laptop. They got my old s1156 system (with a few differences) with Windows 7.

Farewell XP, it was sure nice knowing you.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I've still got xp running on an old hp desktop with my seldom accessed files on it in few old drives, probably going to leave it until it refuses to boot or blows out some caps
              My blog, for those interested in physics, engineering, and teardowns http://www.spectrhz.wordpress.com

Comment

Boy did I ROFL with this :

"Help your friends and family get off Windows XP"

The comments are just epic , don't miss them!

Comment

well, let me say it like that, you can see a tendency there ) did not read the whole thing but i had enough fun

Comment

Fify:

"Become a more devoted microsloth cult member, hell bent on killing Windows XP"

No skydrive for XP? You mean there's less chance of my data being ripped off if I stay with XP? Awww.. whatta shame- I'm cryin a river here.

Oh, man. They're priceless! They've still got this stunted, regressive idea that m$$$$ "is their friend" and is pushing "upgrades" for "their benefit." They should only roll in the filth they want so much...

As far as the "headline" of "XP dying," it is a nonheadline. It's only widespread to the extent it is because fuck-you-$oft has a perverted obsession with "tiles," DRM (aka, longhorn), and blocking competition, exactly as they did in the awful win98-and-internet-explorer-is-required days.
                    Last edited by kaboom; 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM.
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                    Originally posted by shango066
                    All style and no substance.
                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by mecrider on the M$ blog
                      I've been working on that since XP was released. There's not a person I've introduced to Ubuntu who has ever looked back. Thank you Microsoft for continuing to be the number one promoter of Linux on the desktop.
                      too true!
                      im sitting back in my chair in front of my linux box and laughing while printing some of these comments on my HP laserjet2100 that doesn't have windows drivers beyond 2k and also printing the occasional bit off the web from my apple imagewriter just for the hell of it.
                      M$
                      Last edited by goontron; 02-11-2014, 05:35 PM.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Makes since for them to try and push Windows 8 on users with the "XP Support is ending soon commercials but their real problem is still the industrial / business use of XP just ending support isn't going to do anything to make those users upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                          just ending support isn't going to do anything to make those users upgrade.
                          Or make their stuff stop working, for that matter.
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Boy did I ROFL with this :

"Help your friends and family get off Windows XP"

The comments are priceless!! win8/8.1 doing a 400lb fatass bellyflop off the high dive@!!

I've become very tolerant of win7, but 8/8.1, not a chance, and plain old NEVER!!!!!! I tossed server 2003 on my office mahcine and cheated myself into another year and a half of support. my home sytsem is still XP64 and will be for a long time to come.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

wow someone likes Linux
                              Originally posted by HAL5000 on windows blog
                              i have switched my family and friends from Windows XP. to Linux!

you see posts here saying don't talk bad unless you truly tried it, well i tried Windows 8 when it was beta, didn't like it all too well, but i had it for the full 30 days.

i took the free upgrade that my laptop manufacturer gave me because i bought a new laptop 2 months before 8 came out, it was worse than the beta! i went back to 7 for my schools software, then 8.1 beta came out and i tried it too, it was worse than both 8 beta and 8 upgrade combined! so, in a last attempt to stay on the windows software for my school i tried server 2012 the color scheme was better, but that was it. what i didn't know at the time was that my schools software runs well in crossover, and my other two computers already ran linux and i was obviously done trying with MS. so what could it hurt trying this software on crossover? nothing. because it work great!

this next line will sum up my post darn good!

i went as far as to find a way to get rid of these stupid Windows stickers, you need heat and rubbing alcohol. that way you are not left with that sticky gunk afterwards.
                              hmm: HAL5000=Goontron5000=goontron
                              by "schools software" i mean Dreamweaver
                              Last edited by goontron; 02-11-2014, 09:31 PM.
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                wow someone likes Linux

hmm: HAL5000=Goontron5000=goontron
                                by "schools software" i mean Dreamweaver
                                Hal5k's was one of the more "intelligent" comments over there.

I wonder if M$ has a "Longhorn II" in the works, desperate to shove it down the release schedule and unleash its torment. (Sorry again, Mikey- lolz. ) They're rather stubborn, almost deliberate, about chasing people away from Windoze H8. The joke will be on them, though, when more users leave for good.

It isn't 1998 anymore, and "they'll always come back- we're M$ and our cu$stomers love us!" is a thing of the past.

Silly M$. They didn't "always" come back; they were only forced back, as they're weren't viable alternatives back then. IOW, more M$ monopoly bull$hit. $$$!
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I just wish that FSX would run on linux (or that Lockheed would develop Prepar3D for it). If it did, then I would switch to linux, but for now, it's Windows 7.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

its all about the money

Comment

Originally posted by malberga View Post
                                      its all about the money
                                      For MS perhaps...but Linux is free for the taking.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        For MS perhaps...but Linux is free for the taking.
                                        And as people are leaving m$, at least shitsta and H8, they're blaming everything except reality for their declining sales.

It ain't 1999 anymore, and people ain't coming back.
                                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I have never had windows xp on a machine with more than 2 GB but it still makes sense why a PAE kernel still allows only 3.25 GB/process
                                          - that's because even with pae, a process still can't access more that 32 bit address space. Fortunately, it does not mean you can't have multiple applications using 3.25 GB - and no swapping needed.
                                          Linux has the same limitation.
                                          PAE also has implications on drivers needing DMA hence there is some reasons not to have it widely available. Linux with built in drivers makes it easier to regression test with the PAE bank switching.

Comment

Working...
                                          X