Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    I run Windows 7 on my laptop already (Which is a fleabay GL40/T8100 bargain buy/rebuild). Windows 7 runs perfectly well even on old systems with 65nm Core2Duos and 2gb as long as you disable the superfetch service. I'm not running x64 because Windows 7 is slow (That's a seperate issue. Windows 7 may not *feel* slower, but the kernel is a lot more bloated than XP - see this article, but rather because I despise the interface.

Why did you dump the D630 by the way? I installed W7 x64 on a D630 (Intel version) for someone. Runs great.
    I didn't dump it... it's my backup unit.

Why? I got a deal too good to refuse on the P400 ($350 for a barely used one with minor cosmetic damage, it was a $800 retail unit at the time). It's blazing fast (minus the HDD, which I'll SSD by the end of the year).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

But, ironically, Windows Vista and Windows 7 activation seems to be more user friendly.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Even NASA knows that a modern Linux distro is better than WinXP:

http://www.straight.com/blogra/53064...ows-xp-anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Retire View Post
          Even NASA knows that a modern Linux distro is better than WinXP:
          I can only laugh with this specific text line, Its like saying that young kids have more brain after all than those Golden boys in Microsoft.

Comment

^
            Disagreed. The reason that linux is less popular than windows is because most software doesn't run on it. If everything was compatible, I'm sure we would all be using linux, and M$ would go out of business. Linux is an excellent stable OS, which is only let down by lack of support from manufacturers and software developers.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              ^
              Disagreed. The reason that linux is less popular than windows is because most software doesn't run on it. If everything was compatible, I'm sure we would all be using linux, and M$ would go out of business. Linux is an excellent stable OS, which is only let down by lack of support from manufacturers and software developers.
              This 100%.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                ^
                disagreed. The reason that linux is less popular than windows is because most software doesn't run on it. If everything was compatible, i'm sure we would all be using linux, and m$ would go out of business. Linux is an excellent stable os, which is only let down by lack of support from manufacturers and software developers.
                +1000
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Rephrased: Only let down by lack of support from manufacturers, software developers, and evil c$nts like Nvidia.

One problem still plagues Linux however, commercial games. To the eyes of the video game giants, a PC is a computer running Microsoft Windows, a Mac is apparently not a PC at all ("I'm a Mac"), and Linux only runs on green screen terminals from 1983 which tend to beep when you press a key (no, that's UNIX running a text mode database/spreadsheet program on an 8086 PC clone).

I might have to get used to Kubuntu, I have a bunch of unused old PCs lying around with crashed hard drives or dead power supplies, but still have a live DVD of Kubuntu 9 lying around (which would probably end up updating itself as soon as it's installed - might be time for me to grab a newer ISO and burn another copy). Lubuntu looks promising as well, for older machines with less RAM or processing power (CubeComputerChannel had this distro shown on YouTube recently). To me, the main thing is, if it retains the Windows look and feel, I'm happy with it (I still use the Windows 2000 theme on XP, so a pre-XP style GUI is not going back to the old days for me). It must also run games well enough if I have to install Wine, no 2fps slideshows or crashing on load, and no dumping me out of the entire OS GUI to the login/bash prompt (the latter I cannot stress enough).

Or, I will just continue running a patched XP on the older machines and not give a toss if it's supported or not, even if I do have a number of legitimate product keys taken from scrap PCs! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                    One problem still plagues Linux however, commercial games.
                    Yes kids always get attracted by gaming, but here we have a planet to think of with all sort of applications.

Lets stop here the Linux song because it is mostly out of tune due their developers who does not accept any responsibility about their doings, by the same way is out of tune all the Microsoft attempts to conquer the market by offering Internet explorer, office suites, antivirus and even games by not taking either responsibility if all those they will work as promised.

We ended up with unreliable software makers that stays anonymous by just aiming our pockets for few lines of code.

And even many other software vendors instead of fixing and cleaning their software from issues, they toss away every last year version and they are forcing you to pay again for the new.

The software industry is the most unreliable one ever established.

The final consumer needs again to be the one who will clear up this field by criticizing and making pure personal decisions of what to trust and what to buy.

I did ignored the dirty game of Microsoft to force consumers to thrown away Win XP due their decision to not support DX10, this was a plain bitching for their side.
                    I am also ready to ignore and any other cheap tricks from their side, this is why I never replaced my OS up to date.

Every business is happy by having a large customers base, Microsoft wanted to become an empire, and this plan is plain madness.

Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 11-17-2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                      Yes kids always get attracted by gaming, but here we have a planet to think of with all sort of applications.

Lets stop here the Linux song because it is mostly out of tune due their developers who does not accept any responsibility about their doings, by the same way is out of tune all the Microsoft attempts to conquer the market by offering Internet explorer, office suites, antivirus and even games by not taking either responsibility if all those they will work as promised.

We ended up with unreliable software makers that stays anonymous by just aiming our pockets for few lines of code.

And even many other software vendors instead of fixing and cleaning their software from issues, they toss away every last year version and they are forcing you to pay again for the new.

The software industry is the most unreliable one ever established.

The final consumer needs again to be the one who will clear up this field by criticizing and making pure personal decisions of what to trust and what to buy.

I did ignored the dirty game of Microsoft to force consumers to thrown away Win XP due their decision to not support DX10, this was a plain bitching for their side.
                      I am also ready to ignore and any other cheap tricks from their side, this is why I never replaced my OS up to date.

Every business is happy by having a large customers base, Microsoft wanted to become an empire, and this plan is plain madness.

that's why my windos machine is still on 2k
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                        that's why my windos machine is still on 2k
                        2K Pro are great, Win millennium was plain garbage.

Comment

2K Pro are great,
                          try 2k server

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                            try 2k server
                            Messing around with user profiles and permissions brings bad luck LOL

Comment

Rephrased: Only let down by lack of support from manufacturers, software developers, and evil c$nts like Nvidia.
                              This is not true. the Linux nVidia drivers are excellent. If it wasn't for nVidia Linux, I wouldn't use Linux

One problem still plagues Linux however, commercial games.
                              This is changing fast:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/23/valv...nces-steam-os/

Lets stop here the Linux song because it is mostly out of tune due their developers who does not accept any responsibility about their doings..
                              I don't know where you get this from. Linux is developed by people interested in making it viable. They form together into a developement "community". The only time developement stops is when there is no longer anyone interested in it. If you are interested in an inactive program, all you have to do is download the source code and start working on it.

It is MS and it's minions that abandon more things than any one else. Since the only source of inspiration for them is profit, if there isn't enough money to be made from it, it gets abandoned. And the source of the abandoned code is not made available.

How often have you had hardware or software that worked on one version of windows, but is never supported on newer versions? On Linux, to make my wireless USB dongle work, I downloaded the Linux driver from the chip manufacturer, altered a few files to include the USB ID number of my wireless and compiled it. Try that with windows.
                              Last edited by Time2Retire; 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

It depends on which Nvidia GPU you are talking about, and which exact system it might work on without errors or falling back to a non-accelerated driver or some other compatibility mode.

You just know something is horribly wrong when it makes Mr. Linux himself do this towards Nvidia:

source of image here
                                Attached Files

Comment

Messing around with user profiles and permissions brings bad luck LOL
                                  LOL i learned that one the hard way

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

2K Pro are great, Win millennium was plain garbage.
                                    I think WinMe's main problem is that it's just a Win98 Third Edition but advertised as a whole new OS. It's no worse than Win98SE and has more features.
                                    I've installed it on an old games machine I built earlier this year (PIII 1.4S/512Mb/Voodoo5), it's runs very nicely, natively USB ready, many preinstalled drivers, it will run anything I install on it and I can even go on the internet like any computer would with Opera 10.51 (newer versions don't seem to work). Now it's not very safe to use as todays antivirus softwares won't run on it...

I've never really liked Windows XP, I remember back when I first installed it sometime in early 2004, it ran slow and had some serious compatibility issues with programs and games that were not that old back then. Plus the theme was ugly and couldn't be customized much unless one installed a 3rd party program.
                                    I had a similar experience with Vista, except this one was overly bloated and basic things like browsing files was horrendous unless you deactivate the UAC crap.

Windows 7 in comparison is a breath of fresh air, it feels lighter, it's a LOT more stable, I've rarely had any compatibility problems with it even with very VERY old softwares and games (mid 90's stuff like Lego Island or Blade Runner run fine on it without doing anything special).
                                    I've installed it on machines as old as 2004 so far (one Pentium 4 630 and a Pentium M 735) and it runs perfectly.
                                    I've tried installing it on a Pentium III 533 machine but it wouldn't, I think the DVD reader I used had some problems. I should try again.
                                    I hope this OS will be kept updated for as long as Windows XP was, but I have serious doubts about it...

Comment

Linus does not like nVidia because they made so many funny hacks to the kernel to make it work... and the hacks expose too much to the application that you can't trust the kernel anymore (something short of "replace the kernel I got insmodded into with this piece of code instead") It's the bane of OSS, yet people "just want it to work" and don't care about this detail... Linux has bent over backwards many times to accommodate nVidia, and nVidia keeps pushing the envelope of what kernel interfaces are exposed in Linux with its binary driver.

As with the other thread, those who still have XP after MS closes up (i.e. stops updating) - either please be very careful with it if you're qualified (and not very many people are really qualified) else upgrade to a newer version of Windows or change to an updated version of Linux. I am tired of spam zombies.

Comment

Actually. Linus doesn't like the nVidia driver because most of the driver is contained in a "binary blob". This is why there is a kernel message that it "taints" the kernel.

I don't agree with his public display. But it is his finger, and he can stick it where ever he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Retire View Post
                                          1) I don't know where you get this from. Linux is developed by people interested in making it viable. They form together into a developement "community". The only time developement stops is when there is no longer anyone interested in it. If you are interested in an inactive program, all you have to do is download the source code and start working on it.

2) It is MS and it's minions that abandon more things than any one else. Since the only source of inspiration for them is profit, if there isn't enough money to be made from it, it gets abandoned. And the source of the abandoned code is not made available.
                                          The Windows registry exists in more than five copies in the registry folder but as one file.
                                          No matter if you uninstalled one old game before six years the registry have record that, and no matter which registry cleaner you are going to use, no one is capable to erase this trail.
                                          It is forbidden.
                                          Therefore no one have a complete control over the operating system that he owns.

3) How often have you had hardware or software that worked on one version of windows, but is never supported on newer versions? On Linux, to make my wireless USB dongle work, I downloaded the Linux driver from the chip manufacturer, altered a few files to include the USB ID number of my wireless and compiled it. Try that with windows.
                                          1) Just type in those licenses ... I am fully responsible if my code mess up your PC .. your Name & telephone.

2) No its not about profit, its about dominance.
                                          In this war the end user is not important, but every one who messing up with the operating system with tweaks that gets deep in the true windows user spying engine he must be stopped.
                                          Their ways looks as to be a criminal organization.

3) Before six years one fresh Microsoft engineer who was trying hard to understand the windows engine, so to prove him self as worthy to his new job and supervisors.
                                          He discovered seven layers in the operating system and so complicated that he would unable to fully understand.
                                          By the years if you add on top of those layers another three that is the additional of framework 1 + 2, 3, 4, the monster have now 11 layers, and it is impossible for a single human brain to get a hand on it.

In the lever of drivers I am not a specialist, but at list Microsoft left the door open for unsigned drivers to be installed.
                                          Their fortress was not in danger from one unsigned driver.

The best customers of Microsoft are governments, army & business.
                                          The complexity in the operating system was added intentionally so the common Joe to not be able to play with it.

But from the other hand I do understand that playing with a single unlocked kernel it is something that the simple Joe can do if he have some skills in writing and debugging code.

My skills in the windows software are limited in to edit manually the registry so to overcome common problems, I am not a software guru.

Comment

Working...
                                          X