Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    ... Win8 is such a horrendous pile of infernal shit, no wonder MS is now the laughing stock ...
    What amazes me is that mule stubborness in keeping ramming the iceberg trying to force-feed something nobody wants to swallow .

They are even torpedoing their flagships (XP & 7) in a vain attempt to overturn the capsized Tiles Wonder carrack .

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    ... All the "followers" of the irrelevant "tech sites" have been in this irrational panic for the last few months.

"Mommy! My com-pew-tuh's gonna stop werking! Big micro$oft, come in an' save meeee!" ...
    There is a huge FUD campaign underway, with swarms of paid shills trolling all around the web prophetizing the Armaggedon for next April. Non comp savvy people (the vast majority) are easy prey to such scare tactics.

Comment

"Mommy! My com-pew-tuh's gonna stop werking! Big micro$oft, come in an' save meeee!"

You better translate this in Chinese too. LOL

Its not a secret that the most active XP licenses today are still loaded in boxes which serve corporate offices and industry.

What China have to do with that? Answer: The recent industrialization of China, made them a significant Win XP customers base.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        FWIW, I absolutely hate just how often M$ release new OSes now.
        Everything has become like this, nowadays, not just MS. Just look at all of the stupid "smarthphone" crowd that changes their phone as soon as a new one comes out. Software has been like that too. How many FF versions do we have now?
        Movies and computer games are like this too. New sequel comes out before the old one has even had a chance to be viewed/played.

But I don't put ALL of the blame on the companies - at the end of the day they are just trying to make the most money they can. I'd say a big portion of the problem also comes from sheeple that will blindly buy into anything just because it's cool or new.

Well, okay, in the case of MS killing off XP and 7, and pushing 8 up everyone mouth - that's just shooting yourself in the foot right there. I could care less, though. I got a closet full of old computers and an XP VLK disc. I'm set at least for a little longer.

Comment

well apart from w8 bullshit for end user there are also professionals - try offering somebody that is using car diagnostic software or some industrial machinery diagnostic software on w8 I know you can think of many more examples.
          NOPE.

My GF has a laptop running W8, is not terribly bad, it is more useless metro interface one has to avoid using.
          But when i found out that "manage wireless networks" feature was deleted
          I gave up on that OS and decided to stay as far away from it as possible.

Comment

Out with old, in with the crap Win8 :-( crippled POS; I don't want a live account, and if I want the cloud I'll get in a plane. Time to learn Linux!!!!!

Comment

Tiles Wars IV - A New Hope:

Big Changes Are Coming to Windows - Desktop users will no longer be treated like second-class citizens

Start menu may return with Windows ‘Threshold' update

Take all this with a mountain of salt, for as one commenter says: "I don't know, this sounds too intelligent to be true...."
              Last edited by TELVM; 12-11-2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                Take all this with a mountain of salt, for as one commenter says: "I don't know, this sounds too intelligent to be true...."
                IOW, the same kind of "intelligence insulting" backpedalling M$ pulled when they finally "got" they went to far with the XB0NE device.

They push, push, push, only to get starry-eyed when there's backlash.

I mean, even the "wow-ers" got "halos" over their heads when M$ "called their doggies"- a Pavlovian response. They couldn't believe their "ever loving" micro$haft would dare "give it to them" with the XB0NE.

All so unique- whoring out to their XBOXES, playing the same so-called "games," making shitty "videos" with "potato cameras" on screwjob-tube... So unique- like millions of others. They wanted the "extra features" of the XB0NE- they got it.

That was a year ago. It's deja-vu with this latest twist of winblows 8...

Back to reason... Win8 is about as relevant today as, gee, win3.1. Trying to figure out how winH8 has any place whatsoever is fruitless. It's not even fit for a "slave distracting" entertainment device...

WinME was better than this garbage.
                Last edited by kaboom; 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Microsoft has been trying to get people to replace their stuff for years. They released a Windows 7 update that made older Microsoft mice unusable.

This morning at midnight, my parents' computer locked up with 100% CPU usage by one of the svchost.exe processes. After a few hours, it started responding again. Their other two computers running XP did the same thing when they turned them on later in the day. I heard that this is caused by a recent change in the way Windows checks for Internet Exploder updates.

It really looks like Microsoft intentionally breaks their stuff to force people to upgrade, but why would they do that to the mouse driver? I liked my old Wheel Mouse Optical.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    This morning at midnight, my parents' computer locked up with 100% CPU usage by one of the svchost.exe processes. After a few hours, it started responding again. Their other two computers running XP did the same thing when they turned them on later in the day. I heard that this is caused by a recent change in the way Windows checks for Internet Exploder updates.
                    No, this is nothing new. Windows Update runs as a service under SVCHOST.EXE and it's always been like that. Depending on the update and the speed of the computer, some PCs get 100% CPU usage, and some don't.

I still don't understand why you have that crap turned ON. It makes computers extra extra extra slow.

By the way, does anyone else hate that retarded Taskbar grouping feature in Windows XP, Vista, and 7 besides me?
                    Yesterday I was helping a friend of mine with a lab, so I told him we needed to open a bunch of data sheets on the computer to make things easier. We were using his laptop (he has Windows 7 and Aero enabled). The thing is, after opening so many data sheets, the stupid crap starts to group them together, and then finding what you need starts to take a lot of time and takes a lot more clicks than needed. It's especially annoying when you're doing this 5 in the morning without having gotten any sleep and knowing a project is due (in this case, his project was due... I did mine last semester and passed easily).
                    Last edited by momaka; 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I like taskbar grouping... otherwise you end up with 5 zillion textless tasks... Now that would be a pain to deal with. Just click the group and find what you need.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

By the way, does anyone else hate that retarded Taskbar grouping feature in Windows XP, Vista, and 7 besides me?
                        Yesterday I was helping a friend of mine with a lab, so I told him we needed to open a bunch of data sheets on the computer to make things easier. We were using his laptop (he has Windows 7 and Aero enabled). The thing is, after opening so many data sheets, the stupid crap starts to group them together, and then finding what you need starts to take a lot of time and takes a lot more clicks than needed. It's especially annoying when you're doing this 5 in the morning without having gotten any sleep and knowing a project is due (in this case, his project was due... I did mine last semester and passed easily).
                        Completely agree. First thing I do after installing Windows 7 is change that taskbar settings to "Never Combine"

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          I like taskbar grouping... otherwise you end up with 5 zillion textless tasks... Now that would be a pain to deal with. Just click the group and find what you need.
                          You really have to have a billion things open before it's impossible to recognize what you have opened. Most of the time I remember what I have opened or at least can have an idea by the icon. And this way I also have an idea of how many things I have open. Otherwise shit just hides under one taskbar button and you think you have nearly nothing open (and I absolutely hate it when things are hidden from me, like I'm some kind of an idiot - no, I like all of my tray icons to display, thank you - especially that "Safely Remove USB drive" icon that always seems to hide).

Also, a solution to having many things open in the taskbar is to unlock it, pull it up a notch, and display stuff on two rows. I do that sometimes too. Not pretty, but quite efficient.
                          Last edited by momaka; 12-11-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

No, this is nothing new. Windows Update runs as a service under SVCHOST.EXE and it's always been like that. Depending on the update and the speed of the computer, some PCs get 100% CPU usage, and some don't.
                            I don't think it's normal for it to sit there for hours with 100% CPU usage while it's checking for updates. After the CPU usage returned to normal, it alerted them that updates were available.
                            I still don't understand why you have that crap turned ON. It makes computers extra extra extra slow.
                            They don't pay attention to stuff like that. That computer is left on with a browser window open (sometimes multiple browsers at the same time ) 24/7. Sometimes they'll complain about it and I discover that they have left the same browser window open for a month. It isn't as much of a problem since I installed Firefox and got them to use it. IE has some serious memory leak issues.
                            (and I absolutely hate it when things are hidden from me, like I'm some kind of an idiot - no, I like all of my tray icons to display, thank you - especially that "Safely Remove USB drive" icon that always seems to hide).
                            That was another pointless thing they added in XP, along with the stupid control panel "category view." The first thing I do on any fresh Windows install is disable those two things.

Comment

I don't think it's normal for it to sit there for hours with 100% CPU usage while it's checking for updates.
                              It is. I've seen it many times.

They don't pay attention to stuff like that.
                              In that case, just quietly disable automatic updates (and the process from services as well), and keep quiet about it.

That was another pointless thing they added in XP, along with the stupid control panel "category view." The first thing I do on any fresh Windows install is disable those two things.
                              Window Vista and newer are even worse in that regard. The way Control Panel is [dis]organized for those doesn't make any sense to me.

Therefore, I always run through my "standard procedure" after installing Windows to make sure to disable all of the unnecessary and useless garbage and visual [d]effects.

Last month, I think I did my lightest XP installation ever. It was on an old Pentium II 400 MHz Dell XPS R400 PC. After the fresh install and everything setup the way I wanted it, Task Manager indicates there are a grand total of 14 processes running, and the computer was using something like 70-ish MB of RAM. I'm sure I could probably simplify it even more. But it should do fine for now. I'm going to use that computer as a "test-box" for the random PCI cards I have accumulated over the years. For some of them, I just can't find any drivers and will probably resort to those retarded driver-scanner programs. I know they do put a lot of junk on your PC, but some of them do actually find legit drivers for the things you need. So after I get the drivers for those cards - reformat and start fresh again.
                              Last edited by momaka; 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                Yes, paint the elephant yellow so to look as to was a canary... LOL

What MS forgot to mention is who is going to pay the new win8 License.
                                But who cares really, after XP all attempts about new OS was about cutting away compatibility with hardware drivers and even ties with other software vendors.
                                It was more like a war of MS VS all others.

But I do not complain, thanks to MS I got for free one nice Mustek USB scanner because it did not have drivers for win7 and above.
                                And even used legit software from people who was consider it as old trash.

Adobe Photoshop 7 which worth 1200$ I got it for 300$ ... Thank you Bill. :P

Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 12-11-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                                  Yes, paint the elephant yellow so to look as to was a canary... LOL
                                  Briefly, yes. "Disguise" the XB0NE as a "game system," when in reality, this device only exists to be a "place holder" in the A/V system. Merely a means to keep Sony and Pretendo out. A way to extend the debacle, that is "software rental" to the living room.

The only "games" that are part of this deal are the ones M$ plays with those stupid enough to fall for the scam.

What MS forgot to mention is who is going to pay the new win8 License.
                                  Exactly. They're still living in 1998 and think people "owe their souls" to the monopoly. People are leaving, having found other devices, and frankly are getting away from stupid computers.

But who cares really, after XP all attempts about new OS was about cutting away compatibility with hardware drivers and even ties with other software vendors.
                                  It was more like a war of MS VS all others.
                                  Who haven't they pissed off at this point?

But I do not complain, thanks to MS I got for free one nice Mustek USB scanner because it did not have drivers for win7 and above.
                                  And even used legit software from people who was consider it as old trash.
                                  Sounds like, "It's a C2D, therefore it's junk!"

Adobe Photoshop 7 which worth 12$ I got it for free ... Thank you Bill. :P.
                                  That's better...
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Exactly. They're still living in 1998 and think people "owe their souls" to the monopoly. People are leaving, having found other devices, and frankly are getting away from stupid computers.
                                    While I agree with that, I'll be one of the stubborn old farts that won't let go of my PC.... Smartphones are cute gadgets.....but a very poor substitution for a pair of 27" monitors and realistic useful horsepower.... The tablet market is not taking over the world as they thought it would.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I'll be one of the stubborn old farts that won't let go of my PC....
                                      We need proofs about that.. How many Nvidia cards have you get so far?

( The respectable number is above six )

Comment

We need proofs about that.. How many Nvidia cards have you get so far?

( The respectable number is above six )
                                        I've got that beat....got a box full of various AGP and PCIe GPU's....you might even find an ATI or two in there.... You don't even want to see my drawer of CPU's and memory!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

While I agree with that, I'll be one of the stubborn old farts that won't let go of my PC.... Smartphones are cute gadgets.....but a very poor substitution for a pair of 27" monitors and realistic useful horsepower....
                                          "Dumbphones" aren't really as freeing as former-PC users think they are. Just one aspect is the rental/subscription issue.

I was really referring to those who'd buy a new computer just for the hell of it, only because it appeared to be the only choice when wintard finally died after that squatter site trashed the computer. That's, like the only way dude, to fix a computer! Buy a new one! Even when it's our fault!

No, those "happy clickers" never deserved a computer in the first place. They're too ignorant to handle a proper computer, all they deserve is a dumbphone. With it's broken touchscreen and all...

This...
                                          Originally posted by kaboom
                                          Exactly. They're still living in 1998 and think people "owe their souls" to the monopoly.
                                          was a reference to the M$ pricing/forcing problem. They keep pushing garbage, because it's '98 and no other options exist. "Of course they'll pay us $750 for M$ Offi$e. What are they gonna do, use ClarisWorks?" (In it's defense, CW wasn't as bad as some say.) And FrontPageExpressOfDoom- the only way to, um, author anything! Quaint and cute- FrontPageExpress. More like ScriptKiddieExpress. And IE- da best browsah in d world!

Get off it, microsoft. You aren't the only game in town anymore. You didn't get it with Xb0ne, right? Win8 should only wreck you...
                                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Working...
                                          X