Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung LN40B500P3F has Standby light, doesn't turn on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN40B500P3F has Standby light, doesn't turn on.

I'm trying to fix this Samsung LN40B500P3F LED TV for my grandpa. I suspect that there are problems with the main board based on reading old threads. I'm hoping that somebody still has a service manual for this.

Backlight comes on when I remove the ribbon cable from the power supply board. I basically want to narrow down the problem so I can decide if I need to replace a board or try to fix it.

Re: Samsung LN40B500P3F has Standby light, doesn't turn on.

Generally if the backlights come on when you disconnect the power supply from the mainboard it tends to be that the required signal from the mainboard is missing.

Can you post sharp focused pictures of the circuit boards. Add them to the post using the "Go Advanced" button.

Have you taken any voltage readings at the power supply connector to the mainboard?
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Hopefully those photos come through.

I haven't measured any voltages yet, I'm not really sure where to start. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Does the set react to the remote control. Do you have sound?

If you can give the pin number, name and voltage read at the connector in the red box to see if there are any voltages missing.

Pin 1 Name Voltage
        Pin 2 Name Voltage
        Pin 30 Name Voltage
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dick_barton; 06-07-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Here are the voltage readings and a close photo of the pinout. Let me know if you see something that looks wrong.

Sadly, I don't have the remote control for this TV. I used a Fire stick in the hdmi to check for audio but didn't get anything.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by checkport88; 06-07-2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity what voltage do you have at the fuse (both sides) of the Tcon, if this is your tcon board when you switch on the set.

When the mainboard is disconnected from the power supply the backlights come on so can you measure the voltage at Pin 23 (Inverter On/Off)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dick_barton; 06-08-2020, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Not exactly sure but I'm thinking that this board will work, many of these boards are interchangeable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-LN4...sAAOSwZIxe3Wu1

Comment

I wasn't able to access the T Con board because it is behind a rivetted enclusure, see attached. Unless I'm missing something.

I have attached the voltage readings with all boards plugged in and AC power plugged in, measured from the back of the board. First with power off, then when I pushed the power button. None of the voltages changed when I pushed the power button.

Let me know if your see anything interesting.
                Attached Files

Comment

The Tcon is under that steel cover. You will have to lie the tv screen side down on a large flat surface (kitchen tables are good). Undo the screws that hold the stand and the bracket. with that out of the way you should see four Philips head screws that need to undone. lift the steel cover off the tcon and you should be able to check fuse. If not sure you might want to post picture of the tcon as well.
                  Cheers

Comment

Yes likely a bad main board. I have used a 40" main board on a 46" B series.

Comment

I measured across the TCON fuse while pushing power button, but it measured 0V. Photo of the TCON board attached.

I measured PIN23 on the power board, with the main board disconnected, AC plugged in, backlight on... It measured 2.13V.

I guess I'll start looking for a replacement for the main board? Some good suggestions on this thread earlier.

Let me know if there's anything else I should check.
                      Attached Files

Comment

"I measured across the TCON fuse while pushing power button, but it measured 0V. Photo of the TCON board attached."
                        That is not how you check to find out if you have Voltage feeding the T-con board or not and if the fuse is good or not, You test the Voltage of each end of fuse with ref. to circuit ground, in this case, the chassis.
                        You use Ohm mode to check and see if it shows as a short if it is good, infinite resistance if it is blown open, and of course no power applied when testing resistance.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You're right, oops I should know better than that. Anyway, I measured the voltage on each side of the TCON fuse with respect to the chassis. It was always at about 0.21V or 0.19V each time I tried, and didn't change when I pushed the power button.

Resistance across the TCON fuse was 0.3 Ohms.

Comment

This makes me suspicious that you do indeed have a faulty mainboard. When connected with the power supply the backlights fail to come on (knowing that they work) and it looks as though the tcon supply also fails to be switched on. Tcon fuse is OK.

Comment

Are you guys generally pretty confident in ordering an alternate main board, like some of the ones listed above? Or should I stick to the exact model main board for this TV?

Comment

Shopjimmy shows 2 mainboards that will work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by checkport88 View Post
                                  Are you guys generally pretty confident in ordering an alternate main board, like some of the ones listed above? Or should I stick to the exact model main board for this TV?
                                  Well 4 highly regarded members and me think it's a mainboard issue...what the hell give it a try.

Comment

I agree, just a couple guys suggested maybe getting a main board that was from a different model, but that is likely to be compatible. Is that something that is widely accepted or is that kind of risky?

Comment

There may be different models that will give a picture, but the back of the tv wont fit. Inputs are in different places and such, you would have to butcher the back of the tv.
                                      Check with shopjimmy and find a cheap one on ebay.

Comment

I don't deal with lots of samsungs but I think it was bruce or nick that said a lot of the sammy boards interchange.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-11-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X