X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

It's a Delta!

The fan is blowing air inside the psu from outside?

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      What's the power and efficiency? What is it actually?
      It's a Fujitsu thingy. Power is 500W with 4 PCie connectors (two 8pin and two 6pins. Yeah, real 8pin PCie connectors). Efficiency is around 80plus bronze.

@goodpsusearch
      Yeah, it has a standing 92mm Fan with something that sounds like an FDB thing that blows the air in the PSU.

The best thing: (something you don't see in retail units):
      Those rubber things that hold the fan in place...

Comment

They are slightly higher, 98 mm yes? But seem wonderful, they got PCIe and everything! I see some potential…
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yeah, 100mm high. So it fits not in every case (without modification).

It's not that silent though. But what'd expect with a 92mm fan with 0,6 Amps...

Comment

Yeah 92mm fan is not best but better than 80mm Does it have some thermal regulation?
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Yeah 92mm fan is not best but better than 80mm
              I disagree. Bigger isn't always better as you can't use the whole airflow of a 'big fan'. And there is a wall (90° angle) a couple of centimeters away from the big fan.

In the end, the layout, design of the coolers and the fan controller are way more important than the size of the fan. That actually doesn't really matter. And tbh: in 9 out of 10 times a 140mm fan is just in for the marketing, not because it's better than a 120mm fan...
              Does it have some thermal regulation?
              Of course it has
              Without it, that fan (AFAIR about 3600rpm maxi) would be pretty anoying.

But I don't know why they used such a high rpm fan...

I tried to load the PSU up to its specified value, reached about 450W so far and the fan rotates as high as it did with no load at all. So that's not that bad...
              The 3600rpm fan is probably in it because the unit can easily do 125% load @ 50°C (maybe even more)...

And by the way: it fits in my old Chieftec CH-07B case, though I have to remove the top fans...

With some modifications the use in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper would also be possible. You just have to hammer some metal flat (or cut it out)...
              Last edited by Stefan Payne; 05-02-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

It is. More airflow = same airflow with lower RPM (less noise). It's actually quite good the fan covers it from top to bottom - no turbulence by the edges (this is quite interesting phenomenon BTW).

Anyway, I will try to get some funding and buy them out. If it goes well, I will also write review to support the sales so we can have a look how much it can deliver in such case.

I love the PSU already - despite 95 % of the market doing otherwise, they filled it with PCIe connectors. Quite often the PSU can feed much more HW than they provide connection for (like 500W PSU with 100% power at +12 V and it has two 6pin PCIe connectors, really?).

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  Check out how much grease they put in the fan! I removed some of it.
                  Sun Pro: There! That should make those whiny badcap.net users shut up about our fans being too dry.

Also, the soldering was pretty terrible. I probably redid 1/3 of all joints.
                  Typical Sun Pro. I'm guessing this PSU used leaded solder too? I can't imagine what it would look like if they switched to lead-free .

That's good, and the 3.3V rail isn't really used much in modern computers
                  It's usually used for RAM and SB power. At least on motherboards as recent as Socket 775 and Socket AM2. Not sure about later. Typically around 10W power draw from the motherboard (more or less), so about 3A.
                  Boards from that era also use 5V for the Northbridge VRM (or NB/SB combo, if unified NB/SB), so again, you probably have another 10-30W, depending on the NB.

Comment

That is a beautiful Delta unit, it should last forever! I bet the soldering looks excellent too.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Sun Pro: There! That should make those whiny badcap.net users shut up about our fans being too dry.
                    Probably! Even being cheaply made it should last a long time being well greased.

Typical Sun Pro. I'm guessing this PSU used leaded solder too? I can't imagine what it would look like if they switched to lead-free
                    I feel dumb for asking but how can you tell just by looking at it? And is the QC really so bad over there that they can use lead in their units? Not that I care because I like lead based solder. I know their soldering isn't great but this unit was especially bad. I find that interesting, because it's one of their higher end units. The terribly made Sun Pro in the Coolmax CA-300 has significantly better soldering, and i've seen quite a few of those.

Comment

Some other units I have...
                      Attached Files

Comment

I like the second psu. DC to DC converter. Can you post a photo of its label?

And why is the first psu scrapped? It couldn't be repaired? It's a HEC btw! I see it has(had) 4x 12V outputs, active PFC, I think it could do more than 500W if it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                          I like the second psu. DC to DC converter. Can you post a photo of its label?
                          500W LC-Power LC-9550, made by Andyson...
                          Attached there are more pics of that particular unit.

And why is the first psu scrapped? It couldn't be repaired? It's a HEC btw! I see it has(had) 4x 12V outputs, active PFC, I think it could do more than 500W if it worked.
                          No, it's a dual rail output. It was scrapped because the ripple and noise was a piece of shit. Like 100mV on the minor rails and 200mV on +12V under full load.
                          But that's just what the chroma 6000 ATS put out, I have no idea how the voltage would look like...

The scrapped HEC is the 700W layout of the first Cougar series by the way.
                          Attached Files

Comment

LC-POWER (not L&C) makes good psus in general.

I would recap those JunFu caps and use it in my main computer.

The fact that the unit is 80 plus gold is another nice feature.

Comment

LC-POWER (not L&C) makes good psus in general.
                              Not really. Though they are a lot better than they were a couple of years ago, with the LC-6550 (Huntkey made)...
                              Still, most of their stuff is better than everything MS-Tech or Inter-Tech has to offer...

I would recap those JunFu caps and use it in my main computer.
                              Well, there are two 1500uF/6,3V Polymer caps before those two. SO I think they will last a couple of years - until the fan fails...

The fact that the unit is 80 plus gold is another nice feature.
                              Doubt that's really 80plus gold. Rather something close to 80plus gold. Still: It's pretty cheap and has DC-DC, so even if it is not gold, it's on the rather cheap side...

For example: Here in Germany a prefered choice would be a Pure Power L8 (HEC made) for about 55€. The LC-Power is about 5-8€ more expansive than this HEC made unit...
                              Last edited by Stefan Payne; 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

MS-Tech or Inter-Tech are sold in Greece too! And I can't find any reviews online.. Who makes those? Have you ever opened one?

Comment

Yeah, that's because they don't hand out testsamples. Guess why.

Most of the Inter Tech Things are from XHY Power, MS-Tech: I have no idea, because no one tests them

here a German review of an Inter Tech Ecostar thing...
                                  Well, at least it didn't explode at full power but the caps are on the rather cheap side, fan seems half way decent (YL-Tech) but no OCP on +12V...

Comment

This is way better than expected! At least it's not gutless.

Comment

Yeah, but still a good quality PSU in the same price range would be better, so there is no reason to buy such a thing new. It's not very cheap!

Like here the coba and for the same price you could get an Antec VP450P, wich is FSP APN based, with CapXon caps, also some CHieftec units, an FSP Hexa (400W) for around 32€, some HEC units (HEC-400TC-2W1)...
                                      So it's rather expansive, no nead to bother with it...
                                      PS: a 750W Combat Power is built worse than this 400W Ecostar (ie smaller caps and so on)...

And here some pictures of a Seasonic unit ;-)

On that PCB on the right, there's a KA7500B and two LM393...
                                      Attached Files

Comment

300watt peak power.

Comment

LM393 = jellybean dual comparator

LM339 = jellybean quad comparator

LM358 = jellybean dual opamp

LM324 = jellybean quad opamp

Unspectacular but adequate performance. Inexpensive with performance too adequate to use something that costs more without an absolute need for better performance.
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X