s18k150 MOV replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s18k150 MOV replacement

I picked up an APC UPS (BK650) a while back that was was not providing any power output. I have done a few APCs before so I don't have a problem getting in there and looking for problems. I found a shorted out s18k150 MOV which appears to be a unit made by Siemens. I haven't been able to find a replacement and It's not a part of the circuit I have much experience with so I don't know what would be a suitable replacement. I know its an 18mm disc, and a 20mm would fit, but I don't know how this would affect it's protection capabilities. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: s18k150 MOV replacement

We, at the steel mill, if a MOV is blowing fuses, sometimes we run without the MOV. That will work in a pinch situation. So if you need the UPS asap, go without the MOV. Its not suggested to do so for long term or on a regular basis but it all depends on the situation.

BY THE WAY: there is a lot of 10 of these on ebay for about $16
    Last edited by Dgtech; 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Thanks Dgtech. I figured this would work as well but it's not needed at the moment, just keeping it as a working backup. Strange part was this MOV was on the protected backed up side so I think something took a surge from another point and came back into the UPS. Tested every other semiconductor for shorts and everything else seems fine, other than a small 1A fuse near one of the transformers showing as open, but no visible damage to any component.

Comment

yeah, you might be able to find a datasheet on the part and then either find a similar replacement or simply buy those from ebay.
        The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Here's a datasheet. MOVs are a common part. You could use any available brand with matching or slightly better (max. surge current and power) specs.

This sounds like it may have been a wear-out failure. If the unit is 5 or 10 years old and was in an area with lots of surges due to thunderstorms or industrial motors, it's probably wear-out. MOVs are very fast and can absorb a lot of energy. But every surge they absorb does a little damage. Over time and surges, the damage is cumulative, with the consequence being that the break-over voltage gets lower and lower until the MOV is conducting even with normal line voltage. The MOV soon self-destructs.

This is the same reason it's wise to replace power strips with surge protection after every 5-10 years of continuous use, depending on your power environment.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks. Best match I have been able to find would be: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...buynow&site=us

That was a better datasheet than I was able to find, so that's much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
            X