HP Compaq Elite 8200 would not boot to window 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Compaq Elite 8200 would not boot to window 10

This computer was working correctly until yesterday when my wife went into our office room and asked why the fan was running at full speed ( screaming loud ) the screen was off and computer LED not ON so I had to hold the power button to turn it off

So today I open up the computer and could not see any damage parts but when I tried to power it on it would not power on but the hard drive LED would be light while pushing the power button

So I remove the hard drive and the cd rom drive and tried again no go
    So I also remove the memory boards from the mother board as well still no go
    So I push the cmos button and finally got a beeping signal that I had no memory installed so I reinstalled one memory module and it boot to the bios screen and then I reinstalled the second memory module and still when to the bios screen so then I reinstalled the hard drive and it boot up correctly to windows 10 but still did not have the power on LED light on come to find out the LED light does not work anymore so I put a different LED light bulb in and now I have the power LED light on again

What I want to know is “ what the hell was this shit ” I have never seen this crap before

Can anyone please in light me what might have happened here

One note this computer is on a battery backup so it could not have been a brown out ( problem )
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-16-2021, 02:41 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: HP Compaq Elite 8200 would not boot to window 10

win10 probably tried to do something and corrupted the cmos ram.

Comment

to me it just looks like the bad led shorted and tripped the power supply so it wouldnt power on until u removed the short which was the shorted led and now after that it works again.

shit happens with cheap china leds, im ass-u-ming thats what it is. since its already fixed, there's nothing to see here, so just move along.

Comment

I would not be surprised by this but that if it shorted to being open

One problem I did not remove the LED until I had the computer back up and running again before I remove the LED light bulb
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-16-2021, 06:50 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

shorting the led would have no effect, it has current limiting

Comment

Looking up HP Compaq Elite 8200 on the internet... it's a desktop / mini desktop SFF.

Given that it's a newer HP, chances are it has a PSU made by Delta, LiteOn, Chicony (HiPro) or Bestec. So my suggestion would be to first pull out and inspect the PSU for bad caps - especially Ltec and Teapo.

As for the original problem... looks like CMOS got corrupted for some reason. It could be a failing CMOS chip, or it could have been caused by a lightning storm or other electrical disturbance (note: it doesn't matter the PSU is connected to a USP - most power surges come from ethernet, PS/2, and other cables with poor shielding.) Or, it could also have gotten corrupted by bad caps in the PSU... or there are bad caps in the PSU and still possible to see this issue pop up.

The LED not ligthing up on the mobo is weird, though. This is usually controlled by the SIO/LPC, or sub-circuit controlled by it. In which case, what's the SIO/LPC on your motherboard.

Also, you live in FL, where it's pretty humid I imagine. Bad contacts can happen anywhere, including the headers and connectors to the front panel. Might help to take apart and re-seat everything, just in case. If still no HDD LED, suspect LPC/SIO... which could also have been the reason behind possibly corrupt CMOS.
            Last edited by momaka; 01-27-2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Bumped
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-28-2021, 08:19 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                comment 1
                The LED not ligthing up on the mobo is weird, though. This is usually controlled by the SIO/LPC, or sub-circuit controlled by it. In which case, what's the SIO/LPC on your motherboard.

Comment 2

Also, you live in FL, where it's pretty humid I imagine. Bad contacts can happen anywhere, including the headers and connectors to the front panel. Might help to take apart and re-seat everything, just in case. If still no HDD LED, suspect LPC/SIO... which could also have been the reason behind possibly corrupt CMOS.
                One note when I got this computer from a eBay seller I had to do the same exact thing remove everything from the mother board and push the CMOS battery button for the computer to work ( after first I thought there was something wrong with this mother board because [ nothing worked at all ] I had to this I even sent a message about this to the eBay seller about this issue )

First thing

is that the switching power supply was recapped before I started using this computer

Second thing

Is that the old led ( power on ) light bulb did not work anymore but installing a new led light bulb worked right a way with out having to any thing else [ the original hard drive light still works ]

Comment 1
                Where are these circuit items SIO/LPC located on the mother board

Comment 2

Where I use to work at we had a computer that had a memory stick module issue on the mother board that every so often I had to remove the memory module and reseat them because of a blue screen of death so I understand that but I have to wonder if this is case with this issue with this computer that I have because the one at work I did not have to reset the CMOS chip

So I am leaning towards a possible bad CMOS chip

But the strange thing is that I have run the computer for hours sense this happened and so far no issues so this part has me confused about what the real issue is
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-28-2021, 08:15 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                  One note when I got this computer from a eBay seller I had to do the same exact thing remove everything from the mother board and push the CMOS battery button for the computer to work ( after first I thought there was something wrong with this mother board because [ nothing worked at all ] I had to this I even sent a message about this to the eBay seller about this issue )
                  OK, I know this might sound like a dumb question, but since it wasn't mentioned explicitly... is the CMOS battery good? Try measuring it when the PC is turned off and unplugged. Some aging/dieing CMOS batteries will read close to full voltage on a multimeter when not connected to anything, but drop easily under a light load.

First thing

is that the switching power supply was recapped before I started using this computer
                  OK, that's good to know. Should have mentioned it so we don't have to guess.

Second thing

Is that the old led ( power on ) light bulb did not work anymore but installing a new led light bulb worked right a way with out having to any thing else
                  Again, I will mention the issue with contacts and humid environments.
                  Check the old LED - connect it in series with a 1 KOhm - 4.7 KOhm resistor and give it 5V. Does it light up?
                  It's good to verify that the LED is actually the problem and not contacts on F_Panel header.

Where are these circuit items SIO/LPC located on the mother board
                  Which version of the motherboard do you have? Normal desktop size, SFF, or USFF?
                  The normal size has the LPC under the Southbridge chipset.
                  The SFF has the LPC between the rear I/O ports and memory slots.
                  The USFF has the LPC close to the front USB ports.
                  ... at least that's what I gathered from various eBay pictures. And looks like the LPC is a nuvoTon chip.

I doubt this is the issue, but just worth knowing that this the chip to which you have the PS-ON, PLED, HDLED, and other F_Panel circuitry controlled by, usually.

Where I use to work at we had a computer that had a memory stick module issue on the mother board that every so often I had to remove the memory module and reseat them because of a blue screen of death so I understand that but I have to wonder if this is case with this issue with this computer that I have because the one at work I did not have to reset the CMOS chip
                  Maybe?

Intermittent issues are the hardest to track down. It could be a bad solder joint or just a bad connection somewhere, and a failure could be triggered by movement or temperature. Even if you never move the PC, vibrations in the room can cause a marginal connection to show up. And that's why I mentioned to check all contacts again. Moist/humid environments tend to much up contacts a lot easier/quicker than dry ones. I have several computer mice that work fine all winter long when it's dry here. But in the summer, their left buttons often stop clicking well to the point where I have to service them almost once every month - at least until the humidity resides down. These are very-well used mice, so their button contacts are more worn, and that's why they are more susceptible to humidity.

In the case of the PC that you mentioned above with the memory... that would be a candidate for cleaning the memory module contacts with pencil eraser and then IPA afterwards. I've had this work magic on some RAM that wasn't stored properly and exposed to water.

So I am leaning towards a possible bad CMOS chip
                  Yeah, I have that feeling too. But until the issue starts happening more frequently, we may not know if that truly is the cause or not.

But the strange thing is that I have run the computer for hours sense this happened and so far no issues so this part has me confused about what the real issue is
                  And that's the worst part about intermittent issues: everything works great until unexpectedly it doesn't again.

One last note... and this likely didn't cause the issue, but still worth mentioning: does this computer have "HP Update" or any other updating software crap from HP?
                  Reason I ask is because I've heard that HP software could sometimes be set to update drivers - at least in the past. I don't know if that means BIOS too. If it does, that's another potential suspect.
                  I've actually never used the HP Update software and honestly think it's a stinkin' pile of garbage, given how much I've seen it slow down PCs (so I always remove it when I see it, no questions asked.)
                  Last edited by momaka; 01-29-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    One last note... and this likely didn't cause the issue, but still worth mentioning: does this computer have "HP Update" or any other updating software crap from HP?
                    Reason I ask is because I've heard that HP software could sometimes be set to update drivers - at least in the past. I don't know if that means BIOS too. If it does, that's another potential suspect.
                    I've actually never used the HP Update software and honestly think it's a stinkin' pile of garbage, given how much I've seen it slow down PCs (so I always remove it when I see it, no questions asked.)
                    Every one of those "update" programs I've seen updated drivers and the BIOS. I haven't seen a modern HP, so I don't know what they do. Lenovo is annoying because they sometimes force you to drop everything and update the BIOS on a business computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X