Checking an oscillating fan motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking an oscillating fan motor

I have an oscillating fan that quit working after getting knocked over one too many times (at least that's how it looks).

The first test was to check the off/low/medium/high switch. It appears that there is continuity through that; touched the switch contacts only.

Next, I replaced the capacitor with an exact duplicate. No success. The cap is a CBB61 two wire 3uF 250V foot mount.

What is a good capacitor tester?

I tried the shaft. It turns smoothly but I lubricated it anyway. Likewise the oscillating feature.

The fan is an older SMC brand, Chinese made unit. Oscillating fans are going for $35 to $50 at Walmart and I am wanting to learn how to fix, even if fixing is more expensive than throwing away and replacing.

I can send photos.

Also what is a good, non-locking, crimper stripper tool (brand and model number)?

I just got a crimper, but it is a crimper only and it is a locking type (it ratchets till the maximum force is applied, then releases).

One of the wires wouldn't take that and the tool kept crimping through the wire. I am using bullet male and female 22 ga connectors.

Thanks for you help.

wnlewis
    Last edited by wnlewis; 08-28-2022, 05:01 PM. Reason: It was not very well written to start with

Re: Checking an oscillating fan motor

you really need to test to see if power is getting to the motor .

Comment

You have no power going to the motor? Yep… straight shot, high resolution pix are a good idea to upload here using the attachment function.

Comment

if cap failed, you can turn the motor by manual start.
        in this case, I think either power is not getting to motor or internally disconnected winding.

first check if power is getting into motor.
        there is a thermal fuse in some motors. it is placed touched with winding. if it failed (this usually happen if motor stall for long time)

Comment

Originally posted by pavithra_uk View Post
          if cap failed, you can turn the motor by manual start.
          in this case, I think either power is not getting to motor or internally disconnected winding.

first check if power is getting into motor.
          there is a thermal fuse in some motors. it is placed touched with winding. if it failed (this usually happen if motor stall for long time)
          Thanks for the recommendation. I plan to do that in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
          X