Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenwood DNX570HD No boot Red Triangle Lit - Characteristic Fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kenwood DNX570HD No boot Red Triangle Lit - Characteristic Fault?

Originally posted by mixmansc View Post
    I've seen over a dozen Kenwoods with the same issue. It seems to affect multiple double din models and years from the DNN and DNX 4 digit models to the newer 3 digit models. Right now I have at least 4 of them sitting on a shelf hoping I can find a fix.

A separate issue is the nav software gets corrupted on them and will cause a blank screen or a garbled screen if nav is selected. I can fix that - there is a micro-sd card inside the unit. Has a funky partition scheme but I can copy it. You can also put the card in the external slot leaving it out of the internal one as well and even put updated maps on it. I know this part pertains to the 2013, 2014, and 2015 models (example, DNX690HD, DNX691HD, DNX692).

On the 2016 models Kenwood changed them from running WindowsCE to Linux and the nav software is on a flash chip on the daughter board instead of a micro sd card. The 2016 and newer are also a lot faster but a few other differences - nag screen is on system boot instead of when launching the nav. Multiple hidden menus can be accessed by tapping the screen in particular spots and a particular order. I've also seen at least one 2016 model that has the same "death" where you just get the red triangle.

From what I've been able to figure on all of them is there is not a hardware problem. The main system firmware on an on-board nand chip has become corrupted in some way. I think the key to fixing them will be getting a chip dump from a working unit and somehow flashing that onto the chip in the dead unit either in-place or by replacing the actual chip (still would require the correct firmware).

I've not had time to poke enough yet but what I've been hoping for is to potentially locate a serial or lower power TTL serial set of contacts on the main board. If that could be located then its quite possible one might find a bootloader and be able to reload software via a serial console which would be much easier (for me anyways).

Some other info in this thread - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30525

Now - specifically for the DNX5080EX, DNX570HD, DNX690HD, and DNX890HD I have a factory "dealer" updater that will likely fix the 570 units you have. It fully loads ALL software including the Garmin software and it will be at an old version but you can update it afterward. I wish I could get ahold of this type of an updater for later models too. I have a couple of 691's, a 572, a 692, and a 693 around that are all pseudo-dead.

I have uploaded the "dealer" updater for the 570HD here - take a look and let me know if it fixes yours. I have used this to recover several 570HD units.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mi...gRKq1zY_1vgWgH
    hola, podrias subir nuevamente los archivos ya que no se encuentran disponibles en google drive. Gracias!!!

Comment

el terror, try reheating the GPS CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
        el terror, try reheating the GPS CPU.
        okey muchas gracias!!! Saludos!:joroba:

Comment

On the small board.

Comment

I know this is an older thread but I figured I would also throw in my two cents. I have a DNX690HD, and I can't use it in the summer. As others have said, it is the BGA of the main chip on the daughterboard. It just can't handle the summer temperatures which i've measured up to 160f in the car. Which shouldn't be "that" hot for solder to deal with, but apparently they used the same manufacturing techniques as the first generations of the box 360, that got the red ring of death from the same problem. The boards warp from heat, and break or weaken the solder balls.

My only solution is reheat the board with a heat gun when it happens, but also not leave it in the car in the summer, which is ridiculous. These DNX radios, while they might be 'old'...are not cheap. They are very nice radios, that were not built to withstand the high heat environment of car interiors in the summer. I even pulled the dvd player out of mine, and added a fan directly to the top of the heat sink for the problem chip, but it can only do so much, since the problem usually stems from the radiant heat building up in the car on a summer day, when the radio isn't even powered on. I would like to reball the entire chip with better solder, but I don't have the tools or capability to do that.

I'll also add, the heat can also affect the original sd card on the daughterboard and corrupt it, but usually that results in a garbled software image, but the radio is still 'useable'. I fixed mine when that happened by imaging the original sd card onto a new one but you have to do it byte for byte 1:1 type of deal. It was the first issue I fixed with the radio, and so far the newer sd card has held up better to the heat...but of course, still have the BGA issue.
            Last edited by fierygt; 09-15-2023, 07:09 PM.

Comment

My DNX570 acts up when it's very cold. Sometimes it just reboots and blows out it's settings so I have to redo all that. They are temperamental. I have not yet had BGA problems people speak of.

I have found the unit gets very upset with a weak battery cranking the car.
              Either the voltage sag causes the problem or the IGN key power going away (during cranking even though the unit has BATT feeding in power...) makes it scramble things.

I have to update the GPS map, but Garmin has some security crap involved as well.

Comment

Working...
              X