Panasonic SA-XR25,Looking for a good replacement cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic SA-XR25,Looking for a good replacement cap

I have a Panasonic SA-XR25 surround receiver that is not working and I believe it may have a faulty capacitor. This large capacitor near the mains power input has a plastic top that is bulged out. Anyhow, I'm trying to find a like replacement but Panasonic doesn't seem to make this capacitor any longer and I want to find a suitable replacement. It has an "AUDIO" designation written which I presume means something important in relation to the capacitors design characteristics. Can someone advise on what would be a good replacement? Image attached.

The sleeve info:
    AUDIO
    820 uF(M)
    200V
    105°C C[M]CE
    3307E

Thanks
    -Noob.
    Attached Files

Re: Looking for a good replacement cap

The top plastic can do that, just press down on the plastic and see if can be pressed down, this would suggest the aluminum can is not bulged. The plastic warps due to heat from the heat sink next to it. The capacitor is likely ok.

Comment

Yes, when I press down on the top, it does go down and back up.. like pressing a balloon. I guess this might be okay then?

The receiver shuts off after several seconds with the message "OVERLOAD" shown on the display. This is with nothing connected (no speakers, or inputs) - just plugged into power. I'm just trying to diagnose to see if I can fix it and that was when I saw that bulged up top on the cap and thought it could be a problem (my past limited knowledge of caps has made me watchful for bulging tops).

Unfortunately the only service manual I was able to find online was for a model sold in a 240V region so the parts are not exactly the same as the ones used in the US model (120V) but good enough for me to use to some degree.

Comment

check the output chips/transistors if it's seeing an overload

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          check the output chips/transistors if it's seeing an overload
          Yeah, that's what I was thinking for next steps. I'm guessing it's a short perhaps on the output side of things. This is all relatively new to me so it's a learning process.

Comment

That service manual for the 240v ac input should be ok to use as the power supply section in working, so is the main micro etc as it displays the error "OVERLOAD"
            It is very likely that one of the outputs is shorted. Start checking Q601 ~ Q608 and Q611 ~ Q618
            Last edited by R_J; 10-28-2022, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X