Marantz NR1501 HDMI Board CHK CPU Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marantz NR1501 HDMI Board CHK CPU Error

Does anyone have a service manual for this unit? I have one flashing in standby. Push the power button then flashes fast 5 times then back to a slow flash

Comment

Originally posted by mg37 View Post
      I've been working on two NR1501's for a few days now, with different defects.
      One had similar problems with digital signals. Analog signals only worked with Source Direct enabled.
      I discovered that when heating up the HDMI board with a hair dryer digital HDMI and analog normal signals are working again. Cooling one part of the HDMI PCB, the HDMI audio stopped and eventually all HDMI signal went dead.

On both receivers I've discovered pretty strange behavior with a 1.8v regulator on the HDMI board. Its IC1606 (in the corner, near the connectors on the right)
      This regulator was oscillating and gave me an approximately 1.5v DC with AC on top of it.

According to the datasheet of this IL1117-1.8v regulator an output capacitor with a ESR of not more than 0.5 Ohms is recommended.
      I looked up the capacitor on the diagram, its C1604 on the component side of the board.
      This capacitor had on both HDMI boards an ESR way above 0.5 Ohms. One had 12 Ohms, the other was 15 Ohms.
      So I replaced the capacitor on one HDMI board with a normal radial electrolytic capacitor of 100uF/16v.
      Now the unit is playing perfectly all analog and digital signals.

Hope this helps you or any other that is trying to fix a NR1501.

How did you replace this C1604 capacitor? It's a ridiculously tiny surface mount. For a layman that's never dealt with surface mount component replacement, how would I go about getting that off the board and putting a a regular size 100uf cap down?

Comment

can anyone send me the service manual of the NR1501 ,please?

Comment

I have service manual

Comment

Originally posted by jimkarl View Post
            How did you replace this C1604 capacitor? It's a ridiculously tiny surface mount. For a layman that's never dealt with surface mount component replacement, how would I go about getting that off the board and putting a a regular size 100uf cap down?
            Use hot air station/gun would be the best option. However, before using hot air, make sure to use soldering iron to "soften" solder joins.

Comment

I have followed some forums where the Marantz make popping noises when cold, and I have tried all the resolutions, but a while ago the sound from the HDMI input stopped all together. I have applied Foppel's fix with the 1000uF/10V capacitor connected to IC1606, also with no luck.
              I can get sound from the receiver as well as from all the Analog input, but nothing from Blu-ray or Game as they are dedicated HDMI inputs.
              Once the Marantz is switched on I have to select Blu-ray and then an analog input else there is no sound even from those inputs.
              I removed the board 7020-06832-000-0S today and found C1521 only hanging on one leg, seems to be broken on the other leg.
              I would like to know if that is by design?
              Could someone please provide me with the specifications from that component?
              Could this have caused me the problems I am experiencing with my unit
              Thanks

Comment

I've got a new issue with my NR1501. I have only just turned it on and the power light is the only thing that comes on. The light is solid on. The normal fuse is OK, but I haven't checked any further yet. The LED screen is off and there is nothing else happening.
                Any general ideas would be appreciated?

Comment

Repairing this type of equipment can often be impossible even using a schematic. There is no rhyme or reason behind what a digital chip may do if its program gets corrupted. Sometimes you can find a soldering problem, but that is rare. Other than confirming power supply voltages and the presence of data, you are stuck. Usually you can isolate the problem to a board - a digital board - beyond that it doesn't make sense to order large expensive chips with tiny lead spacing just on a hunch.

One exception would be if you have worked on a dozen units with the same problem and somehow discovered what the problem is by swapping boards. Some of these units can be hooked up to the network and will download the latest firmware - if you know the right codes. Almost all of them have a secret sequence to perform a factory hard reset. Reset should always be the first step with these things. Good luck.
                  Is it plugged in?

Comment

C1604 for no or intermittent audio
                    I can confirm this fix as one of the solutions.
                    Thanks to all those who posted!!!!!

Comment

Service manual attached if anyone ever needs it. The issue is almost always the capacitors on the HDMI board though.
                      Attached Files
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Same sympthoms and same faulty C1604 - only remains 5 mkf and 16 ohm esr , C1606 bad too remain 150 mkf and 30 ohms esr

Comment

Hi guys! I can confirm the C1604 cap too. I have a 1501 which had an intermittent audio problem. I had audio in pure direct mode, when DSP board is bypassed. In normal mode no audio, or only rarely. Changing the C1604 seems solved the problem.

Thanks for mg37 for the solution.

Comment

Hello!

Is this unit work without HDMI board?
                            And there is another problem with mine. If the Digital input board is connected, when I press the power button on the AVR the led lit up for a sec then goes off..

And another question, do anyone have firmware for main and sub cpu? Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X