• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dewalt laser with trouble.

Hello.
    I have a Dewalt laser DW087
    http://www.dewalt.com/tools/lasers--...rs-dw087k.aspx

The problem with it when I got it, was that there were no lights on it.
    I opened it and noticed 2 wires were loose, they were not insulated
    and sometimes they touched the skeleton and that would turn off the laser.

So I switched them with 2 wires I had (red and white)
    now I don't have the problem with it turning off, with out me wanting it of course.

The problem now is the horizontal line is really dim while the vertical line is
    really bright (like it should be)
    I tried to switch the red and white wire, wich did not change anything.
    So the trouble must be on this board I pictured.
    The 2 Potentiometers do nothing, as it seemed.

So I ask, what could be my problem?
    please bear in mind that I have no clue about it's age or it's usage, but could
    it be the laser "bulb" itself that's griefing me?

I apologise for the picture quality, but I used my phone to take the picture.
    A link where zooming option is enabled https://www.box.com/s/p3ki8obgeou8x7ntvnj2
    Attached Files

Re: Dewalt laser with trouble.

It's hard to tell from that pic, but I see two (duplicate) regulator circuits, one for each laser diode (the three-pin parts). The trimpots are to adjust laser power output. It's the same circuit that laser pointers use.

Just rough guessing, but the loose wires probably damaged things or you have them connected to the wrong spots. Laser diodes do not like too much juice and the dim one is probably damaged. They are easy to buy on eBay or DX if you want to change it out. But I'm not sure why the trimpots do nothing. They should affect brightness. Are the batteries old? Or a transistor might be shorted.

Some info from a hardcore laser guy:
    Don Klipstein laser website

Comment

Thank you for the reply redwire.
      After some time tinkering with the device, I managed to "brake" the other laser as well.
      So now they are equally dim, trimpots still don't do anything, and the batteries are new.

I might be able to overcharge the lasers just long enough to check out the 3d scanner
      project. Similar to this one http://lifehacker.com/5822730/make-a...-some-software

Thank you for your time and the link, it's quite interesting

Comment

Hi guys. I have a Dewalt laser DW088. I need the datasheet of the ic which used to drive the laser diode. Please, does anyone have a schematic for this device?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-15-2022, 07:23 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

No IC's, just dual transistors MBT3946
          It's not hard to sketch a schematic. It is the same constant-current circuit for each laser diode.
          So the same circuit twice- you can compare readings or test the transistors with a multimeter.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick response (redwire) and thank you very much for the datasheet. I did not know the ic number and I knew it from you. This will help me in understanding the electrical circuit used to operate the laser diode.
            Last edited by Mohammad Hameed; 10-16-2022, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              No IC's, just dual transistors MBT3946
              It's not hard to sketch a schematic. It is the same constant-current circuit for each laser diode.
              So the same circuit twice- you can compare readings or test the transistors with a multimeter.
              Please, I need the part number of the laser diode used in Dewalt laser DW088. Is it possible to replace this laser diode (LD and PD) with a laser diode (LD) that has two pins only?
              Last edited by Mohammad Hameed; 10-22-2022, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Please, I need the code number (part number) of the laser diode used in DW088 laser level. Does anyone know the code number (part number) of the laser diode used in DW088 laser level?

Comment

Please, I need the datasheet of the laser diode used in DW088 laser level. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yLJ...usp=share_link

Comment

Please, I need the datasheet of the laser diode used in DW088 laser level.
                    Last edited by Mohammad Hameed; 10-30-2022, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I cannot find any data on the laser diode with 7ABG, B054 markings. Expensive and special high power it would be made by Sharp.
                      There are many generic laser diodes in same size TO-5/9mm can. It might be a smaller TO-18/5.6mm can, you have to measure it.
                      These are cheap: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004090484473.html
                      Another part's data https://www.aixiz.com/store/product_...roducts_id/234
                      Or take apart laser pointers. I just changed to using a Bosch green laser level and it is much brighter than red.

Comment

Thank you so much. You did what you could. I reiterate my thanks and appreciation to you and your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X