Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacie Edmini NAS disk, you own one ? better open it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lacie Edmini NAS disk, you own one ? better open it!

Some years back I found this Lacie Edmini V2 at the dump, only thing wrong with it was the boiled Samxon Gf's in the powersupply. Checked the hdd and it only had 16 hours of use, I have only used it maybe for 30 hours now and last night I decided to do a complete backup and format the drive.

I remembered it had a Seagate 320GB drive so today I thought I could check and see if the drive had the famous firmware problems which it did not.

Anyway, had a look at the main board and got a little surprise.
    It had a Powerstor aerogel series B 2.5V cap that must have failed last night.

Managed to get it off and clean the board with crc contact cleaner and a brush.
    According to the datasheet the Powerstor should be 1F and I had non to replace it with, I did notice digikey sells these today.

The two Samxon Gk measured fine but think I will replace them with ZL.

There is no battery to keep time on the board so I guess the Powerstor is used for that and that it will work just fine without it ?

If it is, how long will the cap keep time before it needs to be recharged ?
    Suggestions on that ? maybe a cr2032 will do the same job ?

Using the esr meter it first measured it to 54 ohm ... ..
    Attached Files

Re: Lacie Edmini NAS disk, you own one ? better open it!

I'm not sure esrmicro is capable of measuring the ESR of a supercapacitor, at least one that's 1F or that big of a value.

And... that looks more like glue to hold the cap in place while flow soldering, but since you didn't show the underside of the capacitor I can't be sure if it's bad or not.

The pcb holes look fine and the crap on board follows the diameter of the capacitor, without any trail going to the leads, which makes me think it was just glue.

Comment

Not sure if the esrmicro can measure it properly.

No, it's not glue - not sticky substance at all - you can see on the components around the cap that some of them (picture 7) are covered in a yellow like substance. After cleaning no more yellowing in picture 8.

Yes, the board looks fine - if the cap started leaking last night the fluid did not have time to corrode the board.

Tried to take a photo of it, some of it left and it covers my fingers.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Gabriel; 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error...

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Not sure if the esrmicro can measure it properly.

No, it's not glue - not sticky substance at all - you can see on the components around the cap that some of them (picture 7) are covered in a yellow like substance. After cleaning no more yellowing in picture 8.

Yes, the board looks fine - if the cap started leaking last night the fluid did not have time to corrode the board.

Tried to take a photo of it, some of it left and it covers my fingers.
        this looks to be the same kind of supercap the original xbox has for clock backup. it's notorious for leaking.

Comment

Hehe your right - found some info about xbox and these aerogel B-Series caps.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=aerogel
          http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.p...e69dc9466e585b

And to answer my own question in the first post 'Ultra low leakage current (can hold a charge for several weeks)'
          Last edited by Gabriel; 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM. Reason: again spelling error

Comment

Have been testing this drive for a few days, I took a cr2032 battery and holder and soldered in a 1n4148 diode to prevent battery from charging.

The rtc circuit from Ricoh draws Typ. 0.5μA at 3V,it now keeps time and I guess it will maybe for several years instead for just a week with the 1F cap.

I also saw that other Lacie nas drives has the same flawed cap, if you own a Lacie better check it.

This is a Lacie d2 with the same cap.
            Last edited by Gabriel; 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM. Reason: Added Ricoh info

Comment

Hi you all,
              Here the same experience with my Lacie Edmini.
              A bad supercap (powerStor aerogel 1F/2,5V)
              After the Edmini won't boot anymore I opened the case and found this supercap with a lot of dirt around it. After removing the supercap and cleaning the pcb, a tiny trace and a thru-hole was gone, luckily i could solve this with a tiny wire. Just to be able to boot the Edmini and rescue my files, I put in a small capacitor of 2000uF/5V. Now the Edmini works again and my files were copiëd to a new NAS.
              Attached Files

Comment

Could they be the same thing as Choyo, which IIRC, Gigabyte used on their earlier motherboards, (at least pre-2005) which have a tendency to fail like that. (Often the same style vent!)

IIRC, kc8adu says that Choyos often smell like rotten fish when desoldered!!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

and that why my NAS is a thinclient with an ATX PSU, 8 port RAID card and 3TB HDDs. running BSD (XFS).
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Had the exact same issue. Replaced the bad supercap with a regular 470μF capacitor (great tip, thanks) and it boots again.
                    NTP doesn't seem to work and it now keeps time for about a minute when powered off. But It's a NAS, which will be always on anyway.

Next step: see if I can replace the ancient 320GB HDD with a more modern one...

Comment

Working...
                    X