Knocked off cap, XFX R9 270X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocked off cap, XFX R9 270X

Built the computer and used it for a bit till I upgraded and sold the old one to my cousin years ago. He has since built one himself and quit using the one I sold him and I bought it back for super cheap. It has 2 XFX R9 270Xs in crossfire and as I was cleaning the computer (complete disassembly of case and new thermal paste on everything) I knocked what I think is a capacitor off the back while trying to be as gentle as I could with my bare fingers in between things. It is numbered "C2241" on the board and I would like to know:

1. is the cap even needed? (watched a few Louis Rossmann videos and at least in Apple stuff he regularly mentions components like caps that are not needed)
    2. if so can I just solder it back on? (is there a directionality to the component like with diodes, I'm just assuming based on the "C" that its a capacitor)
    3. if it cant be just put back on, what exactly is it? and I assume I can go to the Badcaps store to buy one?

Thanks for any help. I would love to get this back to working again like the day I built it, Crossfire and RAID 10

In both pictures I have the component and where it goes circled.
    Attached Files

Re: Knocked off cap, XFX R9 270X

It's not there for a decoration, it needs to be replaced. Looking at it, the pads nor the capacitor was damaged. It would take 5 seconds to fix this....it would take longer to heat the iron up.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I didn't think it could be left off and I didn't even want to test it in the system before finding something out, but I've never soldered anything this small and if there was a chance I wouldnt have to I would take it. Any particular iron temp? I usually run it at 350C for more "normal" sized things (just a cheap $50 one from amazon). Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

you likely can start and run , but underload you might find problem..

best is get someone who can solder to do it for u

Comment

hot air is best but can be done with an iron set about 360c and solder . just need magnification and steady hands

Comment

I have a small pencil tip that I used and got it put back on though its not the prettiest. It survived some initial furmark testing and it connected with the other via crossfire (it is also the primary with the non damaged one as secondary) though i need to do some more thorough testing. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
            X