Is it possible bridging tiny broken trace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible bridging tiny broken trace

When I assembled dreamcast I mistakenly fastened long bolt and It resulted in
    cutting tiny trace.
    This tiny trace(Total width of white coating is 5.5mm) is between R337,R343 and IC101 and it is covered with white coating in the below screenshot.

Firstly I tried to bridging tiny broken trace with my own eyes...But it is totally impossible..So a week ago, I ordered G1200 Digital Microscope and I magnified this tiny broken trace with it.

But It seems that It is really very tiny trace So I plan to order 0.1mm coper wire from aliexpress in order to bridging tiny broken trace.
    And I have been using burnley solder paste for soldering But I think that Now I need a lot better solder paste or flux for this delicate soldering of bridging tiny broken trace.
    Is it possible to bridging tiny broken trace like above screenshot and
    If It is really possible to bridging tiny broken trace, What diameter size of coper wire and what type of solder paste or flux do I need?
    Last edited by chth96; 12-03-2022, 11:44 PM.

Re: Is it possible bridging tiny broken trace

That's quite a few traces there.
    You'll need to remove the solder mask in that area so you have clean copper to solder to and to get a better look at the damage. There are cheap grinding pens available, they are better than scraping at the board with something sharp. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004662172521.html

You want to flux the area then tin the traces with solder, then use either fine wire or the PCB trace repair kits. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003152519345.html

Then solder mask on top when you know it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      That's quite a few traces there.
      You'll need to remove the solder mask in that area so you have clean copper to solder to and to get a better look at the damage. There are cheap grinding pens available, they are better than scraping at the board with something sharp. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004662172521.html

You want to flux the area then tin the traces with solder, then use either fine wire or the PCB trace repair kits. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003152519345.html

Then solder mask on top when you know it's good.
      Thank you very much for your reply.
      Is it good enough to purchase any flux from aliexpress?
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004658782043.html

I only has tweezer and small size screw driver for picking up or cutting wire
      And broken trace seems too small by comparison with size of both tweezer and screw driver currently I have ..

Is there any toolkits for picking up or cutting 0.1mm diameter wire?
      Last edited by chth96; 12-04-2022, 06:22 AM.

Comment

some people use this flux from ali express and get good results using it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3228...d=aeMiejKG9aPv

Comment

After the wiring job I’d put UV curing solder mask on it. But heck… that’s a bummer. Not impossible, but I suggest you get a fine tip for the soldering iron.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            After the wiring job I’d put UV curing solder mask on it. But heck… that’s a bummer. Not impossible, but I suggest you get a fine tip for the soldering iron.
            Thank you very much for reply.But What is UV curing solder mask used for?
            Currently I don't have any UV curing solder mask.
            If I try microsoldering like bridging tiny broken trace without UV curing solder mask, would it be serious problem?
            Last edited by chth96; 12-04-2022, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I'd be putting something like this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=cymzUU5M2RcF
              on these little wires, so they stay put after you finished the re wiring job. The last thing you want is one of the little wires to fall off for some reason. This UV mask is like liquid, until you hit it with a UV lamp. Once you hit it with a UV lamp it becomes solid and glues the little wires in place and protects them. Up to you to use it or not. If something goes over my desk with a small trace repair, I use some sort of UV curing mask to keep the little wires in place. Also you wouldn't want all these little wires to short out against each other, if the wires are bare copper.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                I'd be putting something like this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=cymzUU5M2RcF
                on these little wires, so they stay put after you finished the re wiring job. The last thing you want is one of the little wires to fall off for some reason. This UV mask is like liquid, until you hit it with a UV lamp. Once you hit it with a UV lamp it becomes solid and glues the little wires in place and protects them. Up to you to use it or not. If something goes over my desk with a small trace repair, I use some sort of UV curing mask to keep the little wires in place. Also you wouldn't want all these little wires to short out against each other, if the wires are bare copper.
                Thank you very much for reply.
                It seems that UV curing solder mask has significant benefit if wire is bare copper or I want to clamp wire on PCB.
                But I don't have any UV lamp, Is it possible to make UV curing solder mask soild with staying in the sunshine for an hour?

Comment

You could use a dab of nail polish.

Comment

also acrylic conformal coating (MG chemicals) will work. Stinks bad like nail polish and you gotta wait for it to dry. The other UV solder mask doesn't stink and it's much faster. Yes you need some sort of a UV light, there is really not getting around any of that.

Comment

you can get UV flashlights on aliexpress for as little as $3
                      they use an 18650 and are very handy

Comment

Thank you very much for all of reply.
                        It seems that 0.15mm soldering tip(T12 ILS) is the most finest tip I have.
                        So I think to purchase fine tip is the priority than to purchase UV solder mask.
                        I browse through aliexpress and found below link of 0.1mm soldering tip.
                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002701753416.html
                        Is it possible to use this 900M-T-BI tip for any T12 compatible soldering station?

Comment

The tip you have is fine. Your priority is to grind away the solder mask, then tin the traces then bridge the gap. UV mask is after the work is done and tested.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                            The tip you have is fine. Your priority is to grind away the solder mask, then tin the traces then bridge the gap. UV mask is after the work is done and tested.
                            I just have ordered 0.02mm wire and Lead-Free Welding Fluxes, 0.15mm Fingerprint Tweezers from aliexpress.
                            and I have grinder which I purchased a few month ago.
                            Although Its size is very big comparing with the size of broken trace, It can be control rotating speed from the slowest to the fastest.
                            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003683079012.html

Comment

That's not the tool I would use but if you think you can remove the mask and leave the copper underneath then go for it. Some wet and dry sand paper would be a bit more delicate.

Comment

Yeah, the only thing this tool is good for is to clean up the damaged area. Well you can try it out on the already damaged spot and practice.

Comment

i wouldnt, that will go through copper so fast!!!!
                                  a fibreglass brush would be better

Comment

Or use scotch brite pad on a dermal tool at low speed should work but do over due the amount of pressure that you apply to the disk for best results

You can also use wire strains that are very fine I done before but I caution you to take your time doing this it is very difficult and time consuming to do this just be patient doing this project for best results

Being that the traces are so very close to each other this is going to be very difficult to do
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-09-2022, 08:18 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

you should do the cleaning back by hand or the heat and the revolving motion will lift the copper and cause more problems .. follow the traces back and place jumpers if possible then deal with what's left . and going to different places on adjacent tracks minimising short circuit issues . this is my hindsight after making it very hard work for myself ..good luck and hope you sort it .. oh and magnification and clear view is what's needed here . tin the wire and the track first .

Comment

You have a multiple broken track on near field. If you are not making it worse till now, you may try to follow each side of track and solder fine regular jumper wire on legs of ending components. I see a lot of vias, so it is posible that this track go around the board.
                                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Mi-SwZyxY

Yes this will be look messy but you can skip micro work on micro space, and macro trouble.
                                        For coating and fixing small area use hard rossin dilueted on ipa and few drop of glicerin, this is sticky but when ipa disapeer, it solid and firm. On jumper wire apply drop of hot glue every inch...
                                        Last edited by harp; 12-16-2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X